Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I do latte milk on stovetop (for camping)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I do latte milk on stovetop (for camping)?

Hi guys, so I have settled on a Moka pot which does surprisingly good coffee for camping, but I am struggling to do the milk for lattes in a gas stove. I tried gently heating it in a pot with a non stick coating, and there were black bits in the milk that were either from the non stick coating, or the rubber spatula I used to stir it. Agh!! I think a whisk in a stainless steel pot would be too noisy/annoying for other campers. I have read people have problems with the pricey Bellman stovetop steamer. Any other ideas?

Why not get a Bellman steamer? Does a great job

Comment

If you have a French Press, you can use it to froth milk.

https://youtu.be/10qhrJdBpkM

Comment

I bought a Bellman steamer for that purpose and just used it for a couple of nights camping which worked a treat. I just let it heat up until the OPV valve on the handle hisses a little and it's ready.

I usually take an aeropress and Lido e hand grinder but this time I simply took a few espresso shots in a 200ml glass bottle, measured out into a cup and and either put steamed milk or hot water on.

Comment

Iancruiser I did think of the French press, but I would still need a way to heat the milk first. They are usually made of thin glass as well which I would break camping.

zingzing Great to hear the Bellman worked well for you. I read an Amazon review that said water and steam leaked from it, and they couldn’t clean burnt on milk from near the steam wand. Not sure if it was user error??

zingzing does the Bellman have the capacity to make enough milk for 2 lattes?

Comment

Originally posted by branjie View Post
            Iancruiser I did think of the French press, but I would still need a way to heat the milk first. They are usually made of thin glass as well which I would break camping.
            I am not suggesting you heat the milk in the French Press. Heat the milk in any pot before transferring it to the French Press... May be you just need an excuse to spend money on the Bellman...I understand

Comment

If you want real microfoam instead of just warm or bubbly milk whilst camping, I've seems some pretty cool mokapot hacks on youtube that turn it into a steaming wand.

Comment

James Hoffman (former WBC champion) has a few ideas ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgIVfU0xBjA

Comment

zingzing Great to hear the Bellman worked well for you. I read an Amazon review that said water and steam leaked from it, and they couldn’t clean burnt on milk from near the steam wand. Not sure if it was user error??
                  I've only used it a few times but didn't have any issues with water or steam leaking. I did notice that milk sticks to the wand a little more than my machine's wand, but at the time I didn't give it a second thought and just cleaned it. From my perspective it does what it is supposed to do well.

zingzing does the Bellman have the capacity to make enough milk for 2 lattes?
                  I easily did 4 milk drinks and it still had more capacity.

Comment

The other devices you might like to check out are the Bialetti Tuttocrema and the AeroLatte frother. Both available from site sponsor Alternative Brewing.

Comment

The Bellman is great and it’s easy to use. There are a couple of tricks to it, but they’re simple and if you follow them it’ll work great. Firstly, make sure it’s always filled right up and fill it with boiled water. I realise this is more difficult if you’re camping, hopefully you have a Jetboil or similar. Heat it on as high a setting as you can until the pressure relief is emitting steam. (If you’re using gas try to avoid having any flame come up the side). At this point you can usually actually take it off the heat, but you don’t need to. Leave it on there to ensure sustained power if you’re steaming a larger jug of milk. As always purge before steaming. The one other trick to know is that sometimes the steam tip hole is fractionally too small. If it is you’ll find that it creates a LOT of foam, but takes aaaaaaages to get up to temperature. If this is happening you can fix it by drilling out the steam tip with a 1mm drill bit. Do it very carefully so you don’t break the drill bit inside the steam tip. This makes a huge difference to hearing power. Overall it’s a very capable steamer if used properly.

Comment

Thankyou so much for your replies. It sounds like I am going to need the Moka pot, kettle, Bellman (or something like that), milk jug, and the hand grinder. It sure is inconvenient being a coffee snob while camping. No joke I seriously thought about taking the actual coffee machine to our powered campsite last long weekend.

I am going to have a big think about all this. Thanks!

Comment

Another vote for the Bellman. I’ve taken mine camping a bunch of times and found it easy to use with good results once the pressure is right I there. Can take some time to get to pressure so timing with the espresso making is key.

Comment

Thankyou so much for your replies. It sounds like I am going to need the Moka pot, kettle, Bellman (or something like that), milk jug, and the hand grinder. It sure is inconvenient being a coffee snob while camping. No joke I seriously thought about taking the actual coffee machine to our powered campsite last long weekend. I am going to have a big think about all this. Thanks!
                            The other option would be to buy a Bellman CX25P. That way you can brew coffee and steam milk with the one unit. The body is the same size as the SS, the main differences are that it has the full basket set up inside for brewing, an arm with a tap for the coffee and pressure gauge (if you go with this option I do highly recommend spending a little extra to get the ‘P’ model). I found it can probably only make enough coffee for 2 drinks at once, so if you need to make more you can take a 6-cup moka pot and just use the Bellman for milk steaming.

Comment

Just want to put in another vote for the Bellman. I was lucky enough to buy all my camping kit second hand... Flair, Lido 3 and Bellman steamer, I often get funny looks from other campers but I think they're just jealous of my real coffee!

Comment

Working...
                              X