Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats happening with my milk?

Hi all

The last week or so I've had this issue with my milk and it seems to have come out of nowhere. It happens after a few mins to what is seemingly nice and silky textured milk. I've been using coles brand full cream the whole time on my Breville Dual Boiler with home roasted beans from beanbay. Anyone know whats going on? I feel like I'm missing something obvious...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1801.JPG Views:	0 Size:	210.1 KB ID:	835334

Cows are on their winter diet I would say.

Comment

How long did you rest the coffee after roasting? There appears to be large bubbles. I am thinking you might be using the beans too soon.

Comment

As well as the 2 possibilities above, it could just be a relatively acidic bean. Does it taste ok?

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I've been using a combination of Peru CDS and Brazil PN from beanbay and the beans are rested at least 5 days before consuming. I wondered if it was that but I assumed 5 days was plenty. Tastes fine! Just sparks my curiosity..

Comment

I have seen similar when I draw for too long leaving not enough time to incorporate before reaching target temp. If your technique is consistent, maybe try another milk, I know Coles brand milk can be hit and miss for me. At the moment I am using browns “cream on top” and it is holding great texture.

Comment

Seasonal variations is the primary answer.
              Ultra filtration creates a by-product called permeate that is purely a milk product that contains lactose, vitamins and minerals.
              The big producers (Pura, Devondale, Pauls etc.} used to use this to try and maintain a bit more consistency throughout the year.EG: Add a bit in Winter to level out the product.
              However, someone in marketing a few years ago convinced people that permeate was some sort of 'additive' and thus "Permeate Free" was born and here we are.

Cows that feed on the same/similar feed throughout the year will suffer less radical fluctuations.
              For large herds, grass throughout Winter can be more expensive than other feed. Changing the feed changes the milk.
              Smaller dairies might try to stick with same feed all year when possible to try and maintain a higher quality (and price point) product.

Yep - I used to work for a milk manufacturer

Comment

Working...
              X