Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam wand making bubbles in milk when closing off

Hi everyone,
    I am new to the forum, I recently acquired my second E61 coffee machine, after changing my Vibiemme Junior HX to a new Expobar DB.

However, I have a problem with the Expobar wand while steaming the milk, particularly in the very final moment. I am ableto obtain a good swirl and to froth the milk to the desired consistency, the issue appear after I stop the steaming process by turning the steam valve. When the valve get closed off, several bubbles come to the surface, practically ruining the velvety texture of the milk.

I tried to search for this issue on this and other forums, but all the information is always centered upon the whole process, and I have never seen addressed this last bit of the steaming procedure that, for me, is proving to be a problem.

Could it be a defective steam wand/valve?

Thanks very much for your help!
    Dave

That would annoy me no end! Assuming that you're not somehow lifting the tip too soon, it sounds like it's not sealing off correctly when you turn the steam off?

When you say bubbles, how big are we talking...? Are they clearly appearing at the end of the frothing or are they just becoming more noticeable at the end of the frothing...

Comment

Originally posted by Davidcoffee View Post
      Hi everyone,
      I am new to the forum, I recently acquired my second E61 coffee machine, after changing my Vibiemme Junior HX to a new Expobar DB.

However, I have a problem with the Expobar wand while steaming the milk, particularly in the very final moment. I am ableto obtain a good swirl and to froth the milk to the desired consistency, the issue appear after I stop the steaming process by turning the steam valve. When the valve get closed off, several bubbles come to the surface, practically ruining the velvety texture of the milk.

I tried to search for this issue on this and other forums, but all the information is always centered upon the whole process, and I have never seen addressed this last bit of the steaming procedure that, for me, is proving to be a problem.

Could it be a defective steam wand/valve?

Thanks very much for your help!
      Dave
      I would check to see if there is a leak at the join of the steam tip where it meets the wand. Sometimes this can add additional air when you have submerged the steam tip, thinking you are incorporating texture.

Try putting some plumbers tape around the thread then put the steam tip back on.

Comment

Are you making sure the steam has completely stopped before removing the wand from the milk?
        Perhaps a video would help

Comment

Have a read of this thread
          https://coffeesnobs.com.au/forum/cof...reat-microfoam

And this is a video of that method taken soon after reading it and trying it out

https://youtu.be/DlUI0t3-2SE

Comment

I was struggling with this as well, to the point I swapped my 4-hole steam tip with a 2-hole with smaller holes. The 4-hole was very difficult to control!
            But I have had a look of Kosmo's video and instructions and I will give this a shot (pun intended) soon!

Cheers,
            Charlie

Comment

I also have a similar issue. The steaming capacity of the ACS Vesuvious is a bit limited so I have used a Txpresso steam knife with moderate to reasonable results for steaming a 2 cup latte batch. I do not believe it creates the best micro foam. However I have found that if I leave the tip immersed and close the steam at the end of the stretch it too causes a few large bubbles as the pressure dies - easily removed with a tap of the jug on the base. The alternative - to remove the wand whilst steaming - is much too damaging to the stretch. I have found that the best solution is to stretch one cup at a time with the original tip but this somewhat removes the idea of a social coffee. Oh for a larger steaming capacity!

Comment

Working...
              X