Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all, my name is Gene, located in Tassie.
    just stumbled across this site and am looking forward to lots of learning.

Comment

• Welcome Gene...

Mal.

Comment

• Greetings from Hong Kong.

I'm originally from Oz, been away in various parts of the world for the past two decades but still feel most at home on Australian forums as they tend towards sensible, no BS.

Been getting more into coffee as a result of Covid and being stuck at home. Previously I could tell that there was 'good' coffee and 'not so good coffee' in cafes (out here it tends towards the latter), but curiosity got the better of me and I want to figure out what makes good coffee, and how to do it at home. I'm trying to keep it cheap and simple- we don't have the space for fancy gear, and I am fascinated so far, learning a lot more about this drink that I've taken for granted all my life.

On the recommendation of coffee friends, I've started with an Aeropress, got myself a decent manual burr grinder, and am now trying to figure out how to roast beans. Currently experimenting with just frying on a pan, and will look heat gun methods shortly (breadmakers take up a lot of space, I have to figure out where to store it when not in use).

Comment

• Originally posted by Wimbledon View Post
          Greetings from Hong Kong. I'm originally from Oz, been away in various parts of the world for the past two decades but still feel most at home on Australian forums as they tend towards sensible, no BS. Been getting more into coffee as a result of Covid and being stuck at home. Previously I could tell that there was 'good' coffee and 'not so good coffee' in cafes (out here it tends towards the latter), but curiosity got the better of me and I want to figure out what makes good coffee, and how to do it at home. I'm trying to keep it cheap and simple- we don't have the space for fancy gear, and I am fascinated so far, learning a lot more about this drink that I've taken for granted all my life. On the recommendation of coffee friends, I've started with an Aeropress, got myself a decent manual burr grinder, and am now trying to figure out how to roast beans. Currently experimenting with just frying on a pan, and will look heat gun methods shortly (breadmakers take up a lot of space, I have to figure out where to store it when not in use).
          Welcome!!! Check out the roasting forum. You can start with a popcorn maker, otherwise known as a popper. That is how I started about 5yrs ago. Probably cost you around $20-30 but a great way to start. Not so bad batch sizes for areopress. If you like it you can upgrade to something better. Good luck!!!

Comment

• Hi all, happy to be joining this diverse group of aficionados.

I recently became the caretaker of a Faema Family espresso machine, which is ultimately what brings me here, this being the unofficial internet home of the Faema Family.

I've been home roasting with the Gene cafe for several years now, and am more or less an evangelist for fresh roasting.

My journey and growth in this strange world of murky tepid bean water continues.

Comment

• Hey guys!
              Gav from Holgate NSW here.

I bought my gene cafe a couple of weeks ago and have been steadily working my way through the bag of Elephant Hills.
              I'm getting good (?) results and am already hooked on home roasting.
              I hope to meet everyone in the coming months.

Comment

• Originally posted by gavinturner View Post
                Hey guys! Gav from Holgate NSW here. I bought my gene cafe a couple of weeks ago and have been steadily working my way through the bag of Elephant Hills. I'm getting good (?) results and am already hooked on home roasting. I hope to meet everyone in the coming months.
                Nice to meet you Gav. Welcome to the family. Sit back and relax... the journey your on is an exciting and rewarding one.

Comment

Working...
                X