Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all, my name is Gene, located in Tassie.
    just stumbled across this site and am looking forward to lots of learning.

Comment

• Welcome Gene...

Mal.

Comment

• Greetings from Hong Kong.

I'm originally from Oz, been away in various parts of the world for the past two decades but still feel most at home on Australian forums as they tend towards sensible, no BS.

Been getting more into coffee as a result of Covid and being stuck at home. Previously I could tell that there was 'good' coffee and 'not so good coffee' in cafes (out here it tends towards the latter), but curiosity got the better of me and I want to figure out what makes good coffee, and how to do it at home. I'm trying to keep it cheap and simple- we don't have the space for fancy gear, and I am fascinated so far, learning a lot more about this drink that I've taken for granted all my life.

On the recommendation of coffee friends, I've started with an Aeropress, got myself a decent manual burr grinder, and am now trying to figure out how to roast beans. Currently experimenting with just frying on a pan, and will look heat gun methods shortly (breadmakers take up a lot of space, I have to figure out where to store it when not in use).

Comment

• Originally posted by Wimbledon View Post
          Greetings from Hong Kong. I'm originally from Oz, been away in various parts of the world for the past two decades but still feel most at home on Australian forums as they tend towards sensible, no BS. Been getting more into coffee as a result of Covid and being stuck at home. Previously I could tell that there was 'good' coffee and 'not so good coffee' in cafes (out here it tends towards the latter), but curiosity got the better of me and I want to figure out what makes good coffee, and how to do it at home. I'm trying to keep it cheap and simple- we don't have the space for fancy gear, and I am fascinated so far, learning a lot more about this drink that I've taken for granted all my life. On the recommendation of coffee friends, I've started with an Aeropress, got myself a decent manual burr grinder, and am now trying to figure out how to roast beans. Currently experimenting with just frying on a pan, and will look heat gun methods shortly (breadmakers take up a lot of space, I have to figure out where to store it when not in use).
          Welcome!!! Check out the roasting forum. You can start with a popcorn maker, otherwise known as a popper. That is how I started about 5yrs ago. Probably cost you around $20-30 but a great way to start. Not so bad batch sizes for areopress. If you like it you can upgrade to something better. Good luck!!!

Comment

• Hi all, happy to be joining this diverse group of aficionados.

I recently became the caretaker of a Faema Family espresso machine, which is ultimately what brings me here, this being the unofficial internet home of the Faema Family.

I've been home roasting with the Gene cafe for several years now, and am more or less an evangelist for fresh roasting.

My journey and growth in this strange world of murky tepid bean water continues.

Comment

• Hey guys!
              Gav from Holgate NSW here.

I bought my gene cafe a couple of weeks ago and have been steadily working my way through the bag of Elephant Hills.
              I'm getting good (?) results and am already hooked on home roasting.
              I hope to meet everyone in the coming months.

Comment

• Originally posted by gavinturner View Post
                Hey guys! Gav from Holgate NSW here. I bought my gene cafe a couple of weeks ago and have been steadily working my way through the bag of Elephant Hills. I'm getting good (?) results and am already hooked on home roasting. I hope to meet everyone in the coming months.
                Nice to meet you Gav. Welcome to the family. Sit back and relax... the journey your on is an exciting and rewarding one.

Comment

• Hi all, Mark here from Sydney.

Breville Dual Boiler owner for 5 years. Enjoying learning more about the huge range of equipment and advice on these forums!

Comment

• Welcome Mark...

Main thing to remember, is to have fun and enjoy great coffee.

Mal.

Comment

• Howdy,
                      Just found this place after having a search around for some information.
                      I am looking at getting into coffee a bit more now and would like a full manual machine and grinder.
                      I am currently using a DeLonghi semi automatic machine which has lasted me too long. I said that I would upgrade when it dies and it is finally on its way out.
                      I also play with the bodum pebo, Hario cold brew, and the rok espresso.
                      Thanks for having me.

Comment

• Hi,
                        I'm 'new' here. Well I joined back in 2014 as a lurker and then I posted one post asking about Breville Dual Boiler.
                        Then I fell out of this forums because it gave me too much temptation and yet no way to actually own an Espresso Machine back where I was lodging at someone's house.

Then I actually bought the Breville Dual Boiler + the Smart Grinder in April 2016 from Myer Belconnen at $1,250.

I still have both of it. And in the past year, I've decided to get better at pulling shots so I started buying: Naked Portafilter, Dosing Cup, Distributor, Tamper. All to varying degree of success.
                        But I feel the achilles heel of my routine is the grinder...so last month I ordered the Niche Zero for March 2021 delivery (yay!)

Also, I've been helping out once a week with my local community and they just setup an informal cafe where I was doing all the coffee and training volunteers.

Anyway, I'm back here again and looking forward to reconnect to my fellow Aussie coffee snobs

Comment

• Hi There

I'm located in Melbourne. We have a Faema Compact, which we acquired second hand. When we purchased it, it was given a full overhaul and moded to run an external rotary pump and external filter. It has been running flawlessly for the last sixteen years, until the heating element recently blew 😭

I now find myself in the position of looking for a technician who can do the necessary repairs. Thread here

Comment

• Hi everyone, I have been lurking and occasionally posting for a few weeks and thought I would introduce myself.

I'm Reuben. Live in Sydney (from Perth and came to Sydney via 4 years in Melbourne). I work in IT in the Community Legal sector and am passionate about writing/producing/performing/analysing music aside from being into the coffee thing.

I got pointed here for the green beans when I decided I wanted to try home roasting and it's been interesting seeing all of the cool roasting and brewing conversation and info available!

I mostly brew French Press at the moment but am working on trying to get a finer grind out of my Delonghi Dedica grinder to pull more consistent espresso on my Gran Gaggia (sadly not the OG Gran Gaggia) with the spring pressure valve in the portafilter removed.

I also watch James Hoffman's YouTube content pretty obsessively!

Look forward to learning with you all.

Comment

• Hi fellow Coffee Snobs,
                              I have been a home coffee making enthusiast for years, just spent 10 years in Melbourne and have returned to Canberra for family support reasons. Doing some housesitting has exposed me to a multitude of coffee making setups and I am flickering between experimental and judgemental lol. I am amazed how many roasting operations have popped up recently.

Moving into Coffee Roasting and in research phase. I have received fantastic support from roasters I have contacted and visited, sharing advice and contacts is sensational for newbies trying to learn. I look forward to using this forum site to open my mind more and learn further.

Cheers

Comment

• hi all,
                                just wanted to introduce myself
                                I'm live in melbourne and always loved my espressos

always keen to learn more about coffee

Comment

• Dimal
                                  Dimal commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Welcome "mfroes"...
                                  You've certainly landed in the right place.
                              Working...
                              X