X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hi! Im new here. Go easy on me!

Originally posted by Kaffine link=1163710606/600#614 date=1230772448
    Greetings folks

Well Ive accomplished my first 2009 resolution Joined Coffee Snobbs. *phew* now I can have the rest of the year off.

Now I must bare my soul

*Stands up infront of all his coffee piers*

My name is craig (AKA Kaffine) and I dont own a coffee machine..*waits for understanding nods*

My under achieving breville thingy died just befor christmas, not thinking logicaly I didnt replace it and embarrased the family at Christmas lunch when as I offered to make post lunch coffees I remembered...No coffee machine......So with a 2 cup plunger and timms one cup topper dripper I cried my way through making 6 very average coffees then sulked off to a corner.   :-[

I struggle to look my partner in the eyes since..

But in the post Christmas period I pulled my self up and purchased a Gaggia Classic (SH) and after the new year break Ill be picking up a EMO450 / 480 depends on the BigW price and availibility I think they are priced at $138 / $158. Altho its not the perfect start but thats what I can afford.

Altho my eyes have been blind to the even most basic extraction concepts I called myself a coffee lover *hangs head in shame* but I have seen the crema oh light and I shall dedicate myself to the cause so as next christmas I shall redeem the family / my coffee credibility.

Kaff...
    A great intro Welcome to CS and of course upgrade-itis that is sure to strike.

AM

Comment

Hello everyone,

Wow, what a fantastic website this is - so much information in the one place from so many people  ;D  I could spend days on end here just reading and learning (and have been!)

I am new to CoffeeSnobs and the home espresso habit in general (I do however own a stovetop boiler which was given to me by a friend a few years ago that I use diligently - pretty sure this doesnt count however).

Having lived next door to Leichhardt / Haberfield for some time, I have been fortunate enough to have consumed a lot of what I believe to be decent coffee over the years  (e.g. from Espresso Galleria, Bar Italia).  For a long time however, I have dreamed about an espresso machine to call my very own.  Those dreams came true today when I made the purchase (from one of the site sponsors here) of the Rocket Giotto Premium Plus and the Mazzer Mini Manual.  I will be picking them both up next week along with some much needed training    I cant wait, I am giddy with anticipation (and this time, its not been brought on by one too many shots).

By the way, I have to say that my sales experjence was fantastic  - all my questions were answered with enthusiasm and I never felt rushed, pushed or upsold.  I must have spent close to three hours in the store this morning playing with lots of shiny stainless steel.

Thats it for now but I really look forward to learning a lot from you all and sharing my experiences on this coffee journey I have set off on.   A goal I have set for myself this year is to be able to pull a decent shot.

Comment

Welcome to Coffee Snobs system2002.

I think you can do better with your new equipment than the local brews.

Comment

Hi Andy

Ive just enjoyed two delicious flat whites using Espresso Wow - wonderful rich flavours and an aftertaste that I wanted to linger on and on.
          Im looking forward to trying other blends and some individual origins.

Cheers
          Marie  [smiley=dankk2.gif]

Comment

hi Im also new here. First post! I use a little sunbeam "appliance" and it gets me by for now, but love a great cup of coffee and have entered a new world here. I do have a question about a Krups I bought for a friend of mine which is doing weird things, but not sure if this is the appropriate place. Ill need some guidance for a while.

Comment

Hi everyone-

Just moved to Sydney after a year in Bangalore. Do not go to Bangalore for the coffee, trust me. Before Bangalore we were living in San Francisco, and life was very good. We roasted our own beans and bought a full bag of yemen ismaili from sweet marias. In SF we had a solis master 500, now we have a brewtus expobar - were doing 22 grams in a bottomless portafilter with a 20 second pull - pretty intense.

so anyway, I have been going every 3 days or so to Tobys or Campos or Single Origin. I look for coffee roasted in the last 7 days or so. So if I ordered online, do people order 250 g at a time every 3-4 days? It seems like the shipping alone would be a huge hassle - do I go to the PO every three days? or they fit it into our mailbox? it seems like it makes more sense to order more, but then the beans arent so fresh. so that is sort of my first question.

and second, how often is yemen ismaili available? cause that is my all time favorite bean.

Comment

OK, not sure whether to thank you guys or curse you

Been an avid lurker on this site for the last month, slowing taking up the wealth of information. Problem is .. now I have the little seed planted .. cant go back to "poor" quality coffees.

Never knew coffee was so complex.

THANKS CS

Comment

Well Ive been lurking around here for a while now, so I thought it was finally time I finally posted!

I joined up a couple of months ago when I came by a cheap heatgun and thought that I could finally get some use out of my old leaky bread machine. Got some green beans from beanbay and gave roasting a shot - just out of curiosity really. Now Im hooked! It only took a couple of attempts to get something drinkable (which my friends and family thought tasted great!).

The science of home roasting is fantastic - each time I have a go I try something slightly different, and the results seem to be getting better (on the whole!). Ive got a long way to go and a lot to learn before I am really happy with the results though.

Coffee Snobs really is a great resource for finding out about how to get the most out of your roaster/coffee machine etc.... thanks guys.

Oh yeah, and my faithful old Krups of 8 years finally died last week and I have upgraded to a Rancilio Silvia. Hmmm..... might just check out a few threads on temperature surfing!

Comment

Welcome aboard Healey, you wont be short of reading matter on Silvia here on CS or on the web, Silvia owners will steer you along the path of coffee knowledge.
                    With your freshly roasted beans and Silvia you will soon be producing great espresso shots.

Comment

Hi all, Im also posting for the first time after reading and learning for a while.

I decided it was time to retire the 13-y-o Gaggia Classic. Steam valve leaking, portafilter handle cracked, boiler corroded, pump (the second) making strange noises, but hey, otherwise it was good as gold!

Armed with a wealth of knowledge gleaned from CS, I toddled along to see Renzo and Ofra at Di Bartoli. As others here have noted, their service is second to none - I had the best part of an hour test-driving, discussing and learning, and an hour with them is worth ten times that researching online.

Front-and-centre in the kitchen now is a shiny new Rocket Giotto and KS grinder Three of the four Ms are well and truly covered - the mano still has a way to go, but what a wonderful machine it has to work with!

Thanks to all for the free advice, and thanks particularly to Renzo and Ofra.

Comment

Originally posted by 6D7D716A6A7B1E0 link=1163710606/624#624 date=1231724854
                        Front-and-centre in the kitchen now is a shiny new Rocket Giotto and KS grinder Three of the four Ms are well and truly covered
                        Congrats RM and may you soon experience the other 10 Ms:

Mmmmmmmmmm...... [smiley=happy.gif]

Comment

Originally posted by 323334343F33373838560 link=1163710606/620#620 date=1231121475

So if I ordered online, do people order 250 g at a time every 3-4 days? It seems like the shipping alone would be a huge hassle - do I go to the PO every three days? or they fit it into our mailbox? it seems like it makes more sense to order more, but then the beans arent so fresh. so that is sort of my first question.

This is one main reason I have recently started home roasting. Ordering online was costing me too much in postage, and the alternative being stale coffee...no thanks. My postie would leave my beans on my doorstep for me if I was out - he knew I preferred this to having to go down to the post office, even if they may get pinched!

Originally posted by 323334343F33373838560 link=1163710606/620#620 date=1231121475
                          and second, how often is yemen ismaili available? cause that is my all time favorite bean.
                          It is also my favourite bean! I usually can get it twice a year - June and December. However, that being said, didnt get hold of any this previous year . My supplier rations it when he does get it - 2kg max per customer, one time it was 1kg max - but hey, better than 0kg max of the last year!

Comment

Hi Mates,
                            I am from Hungary, Europe, and I am looking for some info reg. coffee makers, grinders, etc... Just to experience more.
                            I find this site very useful! Now finally I have my "dream equipment" for making the best possible coffee. It consists of an Olympia Caffarex NT and a Mazzer Super Jolly.
                            I just wonder wether anyone of you has the same espresso maker to share some experience with. Should you know anyone, pls let me know!
                            Thx and many greetings from Budapest,
                            z.Solo

Comment

Hello everyone Im new here so please be kind I cant post in the sale thread?

Comment

Hi DVD and welcome.

Have a read of the following post. It lists the conditions for posting your goods for sale.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1169531478

At present, you do not qualify.

Comment

Working...
                                X