This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hi! Im new here. Go easy on me!

Originally posted by 1E2D291E3C2B38303C335D0 link=1163710606/644#644 date=1233182151
    Hi guys, Im fresh on this forum.

Ive been attempting to make some sort of partly good coffee with my Breville Cafe Roma and dodgey Breville whirr grinder.

Just recently a local boutique cafe took me under their wing to teach me the art and to offer me my first job! (yeha!)

Im sure Ill be lurking around here a lot now

Thanks for putting together a great forum!
    Mate, from my own short experience here, theres many people ready and willing to offer help in many ways.
    Enjoy your stay.  

Comment

Captain CaaaaavvvveeeMANNNNNNNNNN! ;D

Love it...can remember it...but only vaguely!

Welcome all!

Comment

Hi all. Looks like this is the thread to be making your first post on CS.

I have recently purchased a new 6910 at the bargain price of $510 from Good Guys at Kawana. Love those post xmas stock purges. I made the decision to buy this machine after much research and reading the feedback from other members of this awesome forum. The 6910 certainly seems to polarise opinions however I weighed up the "negatives" put forward and assessed them against the positives. The clincher was the fast time from switch on to sipping as my intention was to make a nice jumbo latte for the commute to work in the morning.

Since then I have been reading with great interest all the information on what constitutes a good pour and I have now become a bit of a perfectionist trying to emulate what others regulalry achieve. Needless to say plenty of espresso shots (that many so called "cafes" would be happy to serve) have been deemed unacceptable and tipped down the sink.

Now I feel I have mastered the equipment I am experimenting with different beans. To date I have purchased a few of the various Merlo blends but wanted to delve deeper into the nuances of some quality origin beans. Have just received my brown bean starter pack from Bean Bay and cant wait to get home to taste the results.

Anyway thats enought for a first post. Many more to come.

Cheers

Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by 7A69787A787374751B0 link=1163710606/647#647 date=1234230667
          Hi all.  Looks like this is the thread to be making your first post on CS.

I have recently purchased a new 6910 at the bargain price of $510 from Good Guys at Kawana.  Love those post xmas stock purges.  I made the decision to buy this machine after much research and reading the feedback from other members of this awesome forum.  The 6910 certainly seems to polarise opinions however I weighed up the "negatives" put forward and assessed them against the positives.  The clincher was the fast time from switch on to sipping as my intention was to make a nice jumbo latte for the commute to work in the morning.

Since then I have been reading with great interest all the information on what constitutes a good pour and I have now become a bit of a perfectionist trying to emulate what others regulalry achieve.  Needless to say plenty of espresso shots (that many so called "cafes" would be happy to serve) have been deemed unacceptable and tipped down the sink.  

Now I feel I have mastered the equipment I am experimenting with different beans.  To date I have purchased a few of the various Merlo blends but wanted to delve deeper into the nuances of some quality origin beans.  Have just received my brown bean starter pack from Bean Bay and cant wait to get home to taste the results.  

Anyway thats enought for a first post.  Many more to come.

Cheers

Chris...

Welcome to CS and trust that your road to discovery is not too rocky..

So what Grinder are you using ?

Comment

Got the Sunbeam EM0480. Went through a few beans getting used to the grind settings but Good Guys gave me a 1kg bag with the purchase which helped.

Comment

[split] [link=http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1234234749/0#0][splithere][/link][splithere_end]

Comment

Hi,
                Ive been lurking for some time and thought it was about time i posted.
                Been working in the coffee industry for 18 months and can honestly say that 70% of my knowledge has come from this website.

First post and also a thanks to all the members who contribute, myself and im sure a lot of others use this site as a bible and refer to it constantly when were stuck.

Cheers
                Jimmy

Comment

Oh thank god, an introductory thread I can piggyback

Hi I found this site via the magazine Cafe Culture which I swiped (with permission) from the venue I took some coffee making training at. What a great little mag it is too.

Been in Adelaide for three weeks and arrived from Qld in devilish need of a career change. Before I ended up in an office, I worked in a cafe about ten years ago and decided to return to my roots, as it were, and took some training (4 day course) which I really enjoyed. I learned so much, we were all encouraged to bring in our favourite beans and the swapfest was fantastic (although I still love my favourite selection ) and have just started door knocking various cafes in search of a start so hopefully Ill get somewhere with that. I have quiet faith in myself that I will.

I dont profess to know much about the coffee industry but Im really enjoying the learning curve and, most of all, the people.

Now that Im here, I look forward to learning more.

Cheers  
                  Barto (which is actually my dogs name but hey, I love my dog..um, in moderation of course...)  

Comment

Welcome folks! Jump on in!

Comment

Hi

A mate mentioned roasting around 18 months ago. The subject came up again recently and a popcorn maker was mentioned, which led me to google, which led me here.

So we gave it a go. Hes fine as he already has an Isomac La Mondiale but thanks guys, you have led me down the upgrade path at record speed!!

I would just like to say a huge heartfelt thank you to those who offer advice on this forum. Working out whether certain products are worthwhile has been so easy due to the enormous amount of information freely given here.

Reckon I now need the old second hand breadmaker, and not for making bread.....

Thanks again

Chris

Comment

Welcome to Coffee Snobs Chris.

Ive only been here just over two years and wasnt prompted by a mate; all on my own.
                        I jumped straight into the deep end and have been having a great time.

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by 393129233E5A0 link=1163710606/654#654 date=1235688289

So we gave it a go. Hes fine as he already has an Isomac La Mondiale but thanks guys, you have led me down the upgrade path at record speed!!
                          I guess with the Mondiale you will not want to upgrade for some time now ;-)

Comment

No I am pretty sure he is happy as......

Im rather jealous, though having a roasting mate who has a Mondiale is the next best thing.... ;D

em6910 and em0480 is all the budget allows for me at present

Chris

Comment

You gotta start somewhere and youll be doing better than the majority of places that make mediocre coffee at best these days!

Welcome Chris!

I was about to ask where sidernee was, then I thought about it... ;D

Comment

Thats what Im finding in a big hurry scoota gal

Changed my profile picture for you

Comment

Working...
                                X