X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hi! Im new here. Go easy on me!

Hi there,
    this isnt my first post but as you can see from my post count, not a veteran exactly here!

Im located in the laid-back area of Port Douglas for my GAP year and returning to Bowral NSW in December. I first started drinking regularly last year as my grandfather went to have his coffee at 6am in the morning and I thought Id join him as a break in my hsc (yr.12 exams) study. Id do past papers or revision till 6, have a coffee with my grandpa then go back and study again till 8am, then go to school! :P Since then I drink a coffee a day, never instant or other home made coffee, only barista made and only in the best coffee in town, like a lot of coffee snubs Id imagine here.

In January I did a coffee course in the Sydney CBD to help me get a job in Port Douglas, along with an RSA and RCG. Didnt need it in the end though as I do customer service in Coles. Favourite latte in the CBD for me so far is Vella Nero (although I have only tried like 5 others in the CBD so far).

So yeah....thats me, anything else you wanna know about me feel free to ask!

Comment

Hey guys just joined up today.

Was an occasional coffee drinker for years and recently (7 months ago) started working at a new company where they have a sunbeam cafe latte EM5600 and decided since no one had even taken it out of the box I was going to figure it out. Was making OK coffees and I was looking on youtube for how to do latte art and what not. Just recently got a lot more serious (obsessive) about making good coffee so I purchased a Sunbeam EM6910 Cafe Series and a EM0480 Grinder to go with it (the best I can afford at the moment with 2 kids and a wife to support and another baby on the way! ;D) but hoping to learn some tricks and tips here to at least achieve the very best out of what Ive got.

Anyway about to buy some beans and just wondering what people think of Campos coffee?

Thanks,
      Stumbows

Comment

Welcome stumbows. Plenty of current/previous owners of the same Sunbeam combo here mate. A very capable bit of kit for the price. Like many on here I suffered reliability issues so I hope you bought new with a warranty.

Cant help you with the beans other than to say try a few and drink what you enjoy. Ideally you should use them between around 1-3 weeks post-roast.

Enjoy your coffee journey mate and good luck with #3.

Comment

• Re: Starter Packs for newbie roasters.

Hi everyone
          Just a quick intro - Im new to CS and new to the forum, having recently returned to the Pilbara after living for 15 years in Thailand + Laos. Am about to take my first steps into home roasting; Im certainly not new to coffee but very new to roasting. The starter pack will be my first baby steps.
          Browsing the forum over the last few days Im struck by the supportive atmosphere; I look forward to contributing as and where I can.

Comment

Welcome Pilbarista (I love the name, wish Id thought of that one first!)

Having grown up in the Pilbara (Port Hedland) for the first 18 years of my life, I might suggest you wont need a roaster - just put the beans on the back porch and watch them roast from a deck chair with a can of Emu Bitter or Swan in your hand.

Looking forward to reading about your trevails.

Cheers
            Di

Comment

Welcome to the wonderful world of home roasting Pilbarista youve come to the right place for a guiding hand on your roasting journey, look forward to following your adventure.............
              cheers from fellow sandgroper
              gman

Comment

Greenman / C2D4 - thanks for the welcome. Bit slow responding because my first post got moved to a more relevant thread and my forum navigation skills are currently on a par with my roasting skills - minimal!
                Di - OMG - 18 years in Hedland! Hope you wiped your feet on the way out! Ive had about 9 years in total, spread across three stints. Im saving the ambient temperature as the excuse for my first charcoal batch, like: "Over-cooked? Well, I couldnt see the colour of them because of the dust, could hear the beginning of C2 because of the wind, and the 45 degree OAT must be why theyve got this nicely carbonized look." Believe me, lack of skill wont even come into it!

Comment

Originally posted by 4065726D6053426B7C040 link=1163710607/1371#1371 date=1318389372
                  Di - OMG - 18 years in Hedland! Hope you wiped your feet on the way out!
                  I dont know about wiping my feet, but it took about five years for our cat to go from being pink coloured back to grey. Unfortunately the soles of my feet still bear the scars (and 2cm of extra skin) of going shoeless in 45 degree heat for all of my formative years!

Pathetically enough, Im still in awe of anything that even remotely is rainforest like and allergic to going anywhere flat, dry and dusty.

Having said that, though, I wouldnt swap having grown up there for the world and still maintain I have seen some of the best undiscovered country in the world - most of my childhood school holidays were spent traversing around the Pilbara, Gascoyne and the Kimberleys going to tucked away gorges, beaches and rivers that were only accessible by four wheel drives and only if you knew where you were going. Brilliant!

Comment

• Hi -

Just posting this so that I can communicate with other about what they have for sale. All the best, Cam.

Comment

Just wanna drop by here and say hi... Ive gained a lot of knowledge from this site and Im grateful that I found this forum...the only thing that isnt happy is my wallet 

Been a coffee nuts for the last few weeks...Started off from Sunbeam EM3600 which my mum bought a few years ago and havent been used until a few weeks ago. Then I bought a Silvia V3 a couple of weeks ago. My shots are definitely better with the Silvia....

Then... just the last few days Ive been lusting the Giotto / Cellini Evo .... damn that thing is gorgeous ....

Comment

New to the forum, live in Cape Town SA. Bought my first machine a few weeks back a starter machine to wet my feet with. Breville 800 ES. Works great for what I need to get out of it for now!
                        Ive enjoyed the site, well done to the Modz.

Comment

Big thanks to CS for starting my journey in the world of coffee. I was only an occasional coffee drinker up until a few months ago after discovering some of the best cafes in Melbourne. Now that I have joined the CS community Im really excited to learn more about coffee and to apply that knowledge when making my own.

Comment

Good Morning All,
                            I have just joined, obviously I enjoy good coffee, I have lived in sydney for now 3 years and struggle to find good coffee here. Is it just me or do they not know the difference between a flat white and a latte here, or maybe im just a coffee snob haha. I have found one place for my morning coffee on the way to work which is pretty good, its in paddington corner of young and oxford opposite victoria barracks, its a toby estate cart I stop every morning to get my fix.
                            Im interested in roasting beans, I pass a coffee roaster in chippendale every day and the smell is amazing. Could I get some advice on what I need for a basic setup to get started please.
                            I have a little breville coffee maker v basic, but mostly I just enjoy a quick plunger when Im at home.
                            Thanks
                            Dan

Comment

Originally posted by 24212E6D37292E342F2E400 link=1163710607/1377#1377 date=1320445936
                              Good Morning All,
                              I have just joined, obviously I enjoy good coffee, I have lived in sydney for now 3 years and struggle to find good coffee here. Is it just me or do they not know the difference between a flat white and a latte here, or maybe im just a coffee snob haha. I have found one place for my morning coffee on the way to work which is pretty good, its in paddington corner of young and oxford opposite victoria barracks, its a toby estate cart I stop every morning to get my fix.
                              Im interested in roasting beans, I pass a coffee roaster in chippendale every day and the smell is amazing. Could I get some advice on what I need for a basic setup to get started please.
                              I have a little breville coffee maker v basic, but mostly I just enjoy a quick plunger when Im at home.
                              Thanks
                              Dan
                              Hi Dan, welcome to CS, you found the right place to guide you on your coffee journey
                              If you want to get into home roasting the Corretto is a cheap and very effective method, check out the link
                              http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1154442377
                              also lots of other info in roasters threads--enjoy
                              cheers gman

Comment

Thanks v much gman looks good, I shall have to begin the search for a BM, you wouldnt happen to know some of the ones that have the correct cycles ideal for roasting do you, I wouldnt want to do any elec modifications. I have a factory outlet down the road may be a good place to start.
                                Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X