X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hi! Im new here. Go easy on me!

Hey guys,
    Im wondering if somebody can help me? Im very new to making espresso coffee (I recently received a Sunbeam Artista for my birthday). But I seem to burn the coffee every time I use it. I dont know what I am doing wrong, but would appreciate any advice.
    I use freshly ground beans from Campos that are ground according to the espresso setting on the grinder. I let the water run through the coffee for about 25 seconds. Should I just try letting it run for a shorter time? Or is it likely to be something to do with the way I compact the coffee, or the size of the grounds?
    Any help would be appreciated as I just want to enjoy great coffee at home!
    Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by 2124283E284D0 link=1163710607/1395#1395 date=1323727199
      espresso setting on the grinder. I let the water run through the coffee for about 25 seconds.
      Hi

Welcome and happy birthday.

Its taste rather than time which decides the correct settings. In that 25 seconds you should end up with between 20 and 30ml of coffee.

You dont say what sort of grinder it is but I am guessing that the espresso setting on it isnt fine enough to deliver around 25ml in around 25 seconds.

Are you adding steamed milk? The burnt taste may arise if you are overheating the milk. 65o is the recommended temp. Buy yourself a milk-steaming thermometer. You can pick them up for around $10. Have a read of this thread for some tips about milk steaming

Comment

Thanks for your reply! I will get a milk thermometer and try that. I am using a Sunbeam Autogrinder EM0415, which has an espresso setting, but I may try grinding it differently too.
        Thanks again for your advice!
        :-)

Comment

Originally posted by 3F3A362036530 link=1163710607/1397#1397 date=1323923843
          Thanks for your reply! I will get a milk thermometer and try that. I am using a Sunbeam Autogrinder EM0415, which has an espresso setting, but I may try grinding it differently too.
          Thanks again for your advice!
          :-)
          Ah, Yes, The whirly Blade of Death grinders

Suffice to say that whilst it has an espresso setting, The grind is very inconsistant in size, resulting in half the coffee being turkish, the other half having chunks the size of pebbles.

Minimum entry requirement seems to be something like the sunbeam em0450 for good espresso, as it has a proper conical burr set, and consistancy. But then, its a long and slippery slope to upgraditus from there. Other options include Hand-grinders. But yes, Those whirlyblade grinders are near to useless when it comes to making a consistant powder for coffee :-/

Comment

Ahh, very interesting, I had no idea! Thanks!

Comment

Id like to make a toast to my first post, looking forward to my first roast the most.

Comment

Originally posted by 32373D2B3D363F580 link=1163710607/1400#1400 date=1324032272
                Id like to make a toast to my first post, looking forward to my first roast the most.
                Welcome to the wonderful world of Coffeesnobdom stalebean and may all of your bean adventures be of the fresh variety ;D ;D

Comment

Hi All

Like many I have lurked on this forum for a while tapping into the fountain of knowledge when it came to buying my first machine. Every time a machine came up on ebay i would make a beeline for this forum to check out reviews etc. Was in the right place at the right time and scored a very noob entry level setup of an EM5900 and EM0450 for $165 total. Previous owners had more money than sense and after using them a few times decided it was too hard so bought a $2K auto delonghi beast.

Anyway, Ive found a good local roaster here in Adelaide so am playing around with different beans. Id love to get into roasting but with too many snob hobbies already (beer, wine, bread, vinegar) I am taking this one slowly. The plan is to upgrade the machine and grinder first.

Will post a few questions shortly in an appropriate thread about the machine and things i can do to improve it but thought i would finally register and immerse myself in the coffee love.

Cheers
                  DrSmurto

p.s. espresso is my poison of choice. One step short of an IV drip....

Comment

Hello CS,

Like many previous posters I too have been a lurker on these forums for some time - in my case about a month. What Ive been reading here in that time has had a significant effect on my coffee making.

For the past 5.5 years Ive been using a Sunbeam EM3600 espresso machine, a red "limited edition" one (means it makes better coffee right? :P). Thanks to this forum I recently purchased the Breville Single Wall Filter set (BSWF100) and a Porlex hand grinder. Right from the get go I started getting much better results from both grinding fresh and the non-pressurised baskets, complete with nice crema! A huge step forward.

I was perfectly happy with this for all of a few days when my partner surprised me first with a Presso and then shortly after with a Bellman (for steaming milk) for Christmas. I had never heard of either of these before I read about them here on CS. I really enjoy the manual, hands-on process required to produce coffee with this duo...so much so that Ive cleaned and packed up the Sunbeam ready to be sold soon.

This forum is a great resource and Ive found so much helpful discussion here. Hurrah for CS!  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Regards,
                    Harlan

Comment

Originally posted by 51584B55585753390 link=1163710607/1403#1403 date=1324885917
                      espresso machine, a red "limited edition" one (means it makes better coffee right? ).
                      Maybe not, but it will definitely be faster

Comment

Originally posted by 7543625C4443455E310 link=1163710607/1402#1402 date=1324424226
                        Like many I have lurked on this forum for a while tapping into the fountain of knowledge when it came to buying my first machine.

Yep, me too. I have a Breville 800ES with single walled baskets, and an exact fitting tamper. Recently upgraded from a Sunbeam EM0480 to the Breville Smart Grinder - I will need to get the shim kit to get a finer ground however. Always use fresh beans, and get decent results from my relatively low priced kit.

I am now working on roasting at home... Youve created a monster CoffeeSnobs!

This comment just in from my better half: "Is there a coffee widows forum?".

Comment

Just thought Id post a quick hello here.

Been lurking on the forums for a couple of weeks now which has provided me with a lot of late night reading  :P

My little cheap Breville espresso machine finally packed it in and I decided it was time to upgrade to something a bit better/more reliable.

Was all set on a Silvia/Rocky combo when work surprisingly gave me a belated Christmas bonus which made things a bit harder... Was thinking of picking up a Breville Dual Boiler instead of the Silvia but due to past experience with Breville products I just dont have the confidence in splashing that much money on one of their products where the longevity is untested at the moment.

Will probably end up spending more money on the grinder instead and am currently tossing up between a Mahlkonig Vario or a Compak KT3

Anyway, even though I havent contributed to any topics I would just like to thank the members here for all the useful info that is available... Im sure Ill have a few more late nights reading before I make the final plunge on the new machine/grinder 

Comment

Originally posted by 7C46434A415B6D406D2F0 link=1163710607/1406#1406 date=1325907131
                            Was all set on a Silvia/Rocky combo
                            My brother has one, and while it does produce great shots, I find it is a bit of a muck around to make coffees with milk - especially a few in a row.

I have a Breville 800ES - so I know that my view is skewed, having been used to the ease of the heat exchange machine.

For that reason, I am tentatively looking toward a double boiler for my next machine... Though of course this comes with extra cost, and it shouldnt sacrifice the quality of a grinder.

There is of course a lot of info here about Miss Silvia, maybe try and use a friends machine first? I know my bro considered the PID mod essential.

Originally posted by 7C46434A415B6D406D2F0 link=1163710607/1406#1406 date=1325907131
                            Im sure Ill have a few more late nights reading before I make the final plunge on the new machine/grinder Wink
                            Same here... Possibly a bit of a worry, but CoffeeSnobs understand Im sure. :-?

Comment

Thanks DSKi,

Unfortunately none of my friends have any of the machines Im looking for.

Most are sold on Nespresso and one or two have dual thermoblock machines.

I will generally only be using the machine for myself. I mainly drink milk based drinks but wouldnt mind drinking more espresso if I can start pouring decent shots  ;D

The girlfriend doesnt really drink coffee and she cant have milk so the odd drink she does have (if any) will probably be espressos.

From what I gather the Silvia is more than capable of making one or two milk based drinks at a time.

I can only see myself running into trouble when we have people around for dinner but I dont know if my mates are worth the extra $$$ for the once a month or so we cook dinner for them :P

I work from home at the moment so the machine will probably get a fair bit of a work out!

Good luck in your search for your next machine! The Breville dual boiler does seem like amazing value... Im just slightly cautious on the life span... although some of my friends have assured me Brevilles other high end products can take a bit of a kicking!

Comment

Originally posted by 6E54515853497F527F3D0 link=1163710607/1408#1408 date=1325913039
                                Unfortunately none of my friends have any of the machines Im looking for.
                                Ahh, pity, maybe one of the sponsor shops will let you have a try out?

Cheers Silent Bob,

Just thought Id throw my two cents in as we seem to be in a similar position. Lots of good info on here thats for sure.

Originally posted by 6E54515853497F527F3D0 link=1163710607/1408#1408 date=1325913039
                                I can only see myself running into trouble when we have people around for dinner
                                Haha, its a definite issue at my Bros (with the Silvia) especially when all the guests are aware of his reputation as a Coffee Snob. But then is it worth the $$ just for that - as you said.

Good luck in your search for your next machine! The Breville dual boiler does seem like amazing value... Im just slightly cautious on the life span...
                                Yep, and only time will tell I guess. I know they had some top people on the design team for it.

My little 800ES is doing all right so far for now... touch wood.

D

Comment

Working...
                                X