• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHIP TO THE US?

How to ship to the
    us??

Re: SHIP TO THE US?

Welcome to CS, thekid...

Perhaps you might supply us with just a small hint of what it was you wanted shipped?

If its green beans, you can pretty much forget it. Same for equipment as we are on 240V?

What were you after?

Comment

I would love to send some coffeebeans to the US to a friend.

The thing is - coffee masks the smell of illegal (heroin, cocaine etc) drugs so I would be wary about sending them due to the risk of customs ripping the package apart.

Also with the time it takes to deliver there would be a risk of them being stale.

Comment

You can ship green beans to the US but there are some hoops you have to jump through to do so. The main one being a prior notice to the FDA about the shipment. If you do not tell them about the beans before they reach the US the beans will be destroyed. The last time I checked they required that they be notified a minimum of 24 hours before the beans hit US soil. This applies to all consumables/food.

Heres a starting point for anyone looking to ship food into the US: http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~pn/pnoview.html

Keep in mind that this deals only with the Prior Notification issue and that you will still have to do the usual Customs thing as well.

The rules for shipping to Hawaii are different than the rest of the country so be aware of that.

There is a wide variety of green beans available in the US from many different sources and unless the beans youre thinking of shipping are unavailable in the US it would be much cheaper to order the beans from an internal to the US source. From memory it costs over $AUS60 to ship 1.5kg of beans via Air Freight (7-10 days delivery time) and about half that to ship via Sea Freight (2-3 months delivery time).

Java "Hates paperwork!" phile
        Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Hell Java - I just sent a parcel to the US with some delicious Lindt Chocolates in it.

I asked at the post office and I rang customs and they said there was no issue.

The US FDA are bloody annoying as every time I send something the bloody rules change.  Last month it was no vegemite (contains folate).

Dont these people have something better to do?

Comment

Ive never checked into shipping chocolate here so I dont know the rules on that.

FYI Lindt Chocolates are readily available here.

From my conversations with the FDA 2 years ago it appeared that anything destined for human consumption was required to go through their system.

The Prior Notice rules have been in place for some years now. They were put into effect after 9/11.

Java "Hates Bureaucracy!" phile
            Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Yeah I know Java, they are dirt cheap here and I wanted to send some to her as a treat.

Comment

Originally posted by lucinda link=1182915918/0#4 date=1182947931
                Hell Java - I just sent a parcel to the US with some delicious Lindt Chocolates in it.

I asked at the post office and I rang customs and they said there was no issue.

The US FDA are bloody annoying as every time I send something the bloody rules change. Last month it was no vegemite (contains folate).

Dont these people have something better to do?
                WTF...you cant ship Vegemite???

THEMs FIGHTN WORDS!

Comment

Here is a provocative thought, and Im ducking for cover from flying barbs alredy as I write:

Vegemite = cultural cringe. Aussies go overseas and the thing they miss most (not just food) is Vegemite. When nostalgia strikes in the teary eyes, through the fogged lens they see Vegemite.

Vegemite = the lifeline folks back home send over to comfort the far-flung traveller. P-lease.

Vegemite = evil looking malodorous paste, foul-tasting.

Vegemite = if that is the one iconic food we have produced as a nation, God help us. We deserve to be down there with the Brits and their bangers and mash.

Thats my OT rant du jour.

-Robusto

Comment

I bought some green beans for a friend in the US via a US online supplier and sent them as a gift - much easier than posting from OZ.

Comment

Originally posted by robusto link=1182915918/0#8 date=1184982805
                      Here is a provocative thought, and Im ducking for cover from flying barbs alredy as I write:

Vegemite = cultural cringe.  Aussies go overseas and the thing they miss most (not just food) is Vegemite.  When nostalgia strikes in the teary eyes, through the fogged lens they see Vegemite.  

Vegemite = the lifeline folks back home send over to comfort the far-flung traveller.  P-lease.

Vegemite = evil looking malodorous  paste, foul-tasting.

Vegemite = if that is the one iconic  food we have produced as a nation, God help us. We deserve to be down there with the Brits and their bangers and mash.

Thats my OT rant du jour.

-Robusto  
                      The vegemite embargo is because of the added folate apparently. Like a wee bit of folate is going to harm americans considering the crap they already have in their food ;D : Vegemite is very healthy and I dont think it is a cultural cringe at all.

I also send Haighs chocolate frogs to the US for my friends kids and at Easter they get a Haighs chocolate Bilby. Fortunately for me the factory is not far from where I live so I get the seconds (not that you can see what is wrong) really cheap.

Comment

Last I heard about the Vegemite story was that it was one occurance where the customs/fda person was a bit over zealous and there really is NO embargo on the product at all.

Well find out in September. We are going to US and our little one loves vegemite on her toast in the moring, so well be trying to take some with us.

Comment

I believe the US only allows folate to be added to milk (I think). It is not allowed to be added to any other product.

Comment

http://www.theworldnews.com.au/region.php?id=132179&region=4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1182915918/0#13 date=1185267909
                              http://www.theworldnews.com.au/region.php?id=132179&region=4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite
                              I went. I saw. I cringed.

-Robusto

Comment

Working...
                              X