Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coffee on the road

Originally posted by robusto link=1184736302/0#8 date=1184818897
    Well done Lizzi. Perhaps a rag soaked in coffee cleaner will remove all the superficial oils in areas the beans come into contact.

By the way... do you keep your motorhome in one place, or are you constantly on the move? Where do you get power for your appliances?

And what about the internet? Mobile? must cost you a fortune.

--Robusto
    Hi Robusto,
    tried to get a few cottonbuds soaked in Coffee cleaner under the carrier, but i fear that there is so muc oily residue there i could sit peering in Carimali innards for years....

we are currently "on site".. our itinerary for the last year looks something like this:
    went fishing up North, off site last year for 3 months, then 1 month on site Perth, 2 weeks off site Capel, 4 months on site Busselton, weeks off site Capel, and now since middle of April, on site in Perth.

we aim to leave here in 2 weeks, (hmm, where did i hear that before???... were about a month late!!) to spend another week in Capel before swinging south and dividing our time between caravan parks and (shore-side ) free camps on our way "over East", aiming to take about 3 months to get back to North east Victoria.

during our "on site" periods there is no problem with the power requirements ( :P)
    .... "off site" we have 540AH battery storage @24V to supply fridges and lights at 24V, and ceiling hatches at 12V (via a 24V to 12V charger into single deepcycle 12V battery) as well as 240V via 2400W modified sinewave inverter/charger.

we have 85W @24V solar to trickle charge during the day, and run our 3KvA inverter genset for about 1 hour per day to charge the batteries to full +10%, plus about 15 min to bring up enough hot water for showers. (total about 3 litres fuel per day)
    during that time the Bott can be used (reason why we charge in the morning!! ), other times we use the plunger.

our internet runs through a bright orange "next-letter" broadband modem, which gives us 1G download per month for $99.
    so far we have been lucky with our off site locations... mostly there was some scat over the water from mobile towers and around sunset we had generally about 20 minutes of connection.
    our contract allows us to scale the monthly cost down to $49 when we know we will be "remote" for a while and dont expect to have regular internet connections.

we also carry a INMARSAT phone on standy-contract (no charge unless you make a call, then its quite expensive...), so even in the most remote of remoteness we can dial in/out.

mmm, ho said motorhoming was "the simple life"...?

cheers,
    L

Re: coffee on the road

Thanks Lizzi. Sounds like a fun life on the carefree road--- but we need the gadgets to make it so I believe.

People ask me how I can leave my home with swimming pool, spas, home-cinema, televisions in every room.... and go to live on a boat for a few days.

I guess you have to have done it to understand.

--Robusto

Comment

i guess we are not on holidays... we have been living on the road for 7 years now, and discovered that there are a lot of things you dont miss... but also quite a few things which make "the home", no matter where you are and how your roof is thatched.... and to us, coffee is one of them!

L

Comment

how do you make coffee on the boat, Robusto?

Comment

Thats one of the things we miss most. Our little generator isnt up to powering a coffee machine.

So its the stove top for breakfast sometimes, or tea.

We do enjoy going out for mid-morning and afternoon coffees. Unfortunately the best part of that is sitting down and enjoying the setting.... the coffee itself isnt so appealing.

--Robusto

Comment

looks like a Presso for Christmas, Robusto....

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzi link=1184824727/0#5 date=1184834614
              looks like a Presso for Christmas, Robusto....
              Or an Aeropress. Or even better CP!

Java "Sippin his CP" phile
              Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Java, what is your secret to great CP? pretty please?

L

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzi link=1184824727/0#7 date=1184839491

L
                  http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1141872695/5#5

though it explains how to make it, it doesnt explain how to prepare it for a drink or store it...more info please Java?

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis link=1184824727/0#8 date=1184840722
                    Originally posted by Lizzi link=1184824727/0#7 date=1184839491

L
                    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1141872695/5#5

though it explains how to make it, it doesnt explain how to prepare it for a drink or store it...more info please Java?
                    Theres a few other posts around here where I go into more detail about CP and how to make it if youre interested.

CP is stored in a sealed container in your fridge and will stay good for up too 3 weeks.

CP is a concentrate and the standard mix ratio is 1:6 with water or, my personal preference, whole (full fat) milk. UUuuuummmm........Nummy!! Adjust the ratio as your taste dictates.

If making hot coffee add the CP to the heated water to preserve its flavor.

CP works great for cold/iced drinks as, is the case with hot coffee, the coffee isnt diluted by the melting ice cubes making it cold. This is true even if youre using room temp water rather than chilled water as you can adjust for the additional water the melting ice cubes will add and adjust the amount of CP used accordingly.

Java "Lovin his CP!" phile

Comment

Originally posted by robusto link=1184824727/0#1 date=1184826366
                      Thanks Lizzi. Sounds like a fun life on the carefree road--- but we need the gadgets to make it so I believe.

People ask me how I can leave my home with swimming pool, spas, home-cinema, televisions in every room.... and go to live on a boat for a few days.

I guess you have to have done it to understand.

--Robusto
                      Robusto, Mate,
                      Televisions in every room
                      I couldnt wait to get away for a few days......
                      (And if I cant take Silvia and Rocky,
                      Old Hand grinder and Plunger coffee works for me when Im away).

"I guess you have to have done it to understand."....Absolutely.

Lizzie, your nomadic life has a definite appeal to those of us with itchy feet/who like travelling/etc.

Regards
                      Bullitt

Comment

Bullit, coming back home to the Grimacs coffee takes the edge off the end to the holiday.

(I wont mention that some rooms have at least two TVs)

-Robusto

Comment

Do yourself a favor and have some good clean fun all at the same time. Take your TVs out into the country and do the proper thing. Use them for target practice! ;D

And to keep this on topic: You can also make ice cubes with the CP to use in drinks for an extra kick or protection against dilution.

Java "TV Killer" phile

Comment

thanks for the info Java!

Comment

Thanks Bullitt,...yes, being nomads, whether grey or not, suits us... and many others; there is a whole community "on the road", from young couples working their way around the country to"mature-aged "  :P people like ourselves, retired widows on the trip of a lifetime, and so on.
                              we met couples with 4 or 5 kids ,  a few couples with new-borns in carry cots and an 81-year old gentleman who has been travelling on his own for about 20 years now ...
                              but we have also met  people who only managed this lifestyle for 6 months, or a year max., or where one of the partners didnt settle "on the road".
                              sometimes it was the "camper" arrangement of their vehicle (no bathroom, no comfy lounge for weary bones...) sometimes the lack of privacy outside or personal space inside, or, indeed, the lack of "gadgets".
                              and when you travel like this, you do need "work clothes"....you commit yourself to regular "tools-out"  just to keep the show on the road.
                              basically you replace the lawn mower with a grease gun, your tool boxes travel with you, there is still the odd paint job and the whipper snipper comes out of the trailer at every stop!
                              the biggest drawcards on our motorhome rallies are the tech seminars and the insurance talks!!
                              This is our second bus: the  first one 30, bought fitted out, taught us the lessons we incorporated in the conversion of this one, a 40 vehicle....
                              in all honesty, we are not motorhomers in the true "travelling " sense of the word: we just move the house from time to time   ;D

L

Comment

Working...
                              X