China Barista email

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China Barista email

i have been in email-contact with China Barista (Jia Ming) for a few weeks now..
    he lives apparently in Chengdu, in Sechuan province, in the west of China.

apart from being very eager to improve his English, it seems he is  working/training as barista or attempting to become one.
    he is extremely keen to learn about coffee in general and the various varieties of coffee beans, their roasts/flavour, the way we serve coffee... the questions keep coming!
    according to Jia, coffee drinking is still relatively new in China and because of the cost (compared to income) not a common drink...also, most Chinese people who drink coffee do so without really knowing much about it.
    the coffee influence has come from the Japanese and Illy and Lavazzo  are the known (only??) brands, although still very expensive.

maybe someone from a more professional coffee background would be interested in contacting him, so Jia can ask him/her pertinent questions?
    he can be contacted via the email link in his profile.

L

Re: China Barista email

Good on you Lizzi for speaking with Jia Ming.

I would think that China would be a big tea drinking nation rather than coffee?

Comment

that is what i thought too.. but he assures me that coffee is on the way up... or in...
      perhaps by 08/08/08 they will have heaps of trained baristas pulling perfect shots for the Olympic Community!!

L

Comment

Originally posted by scoota gal link=1186494751/0#1 date=1186636647
        Good on you Lizzi for speaking with Jia Ming.
        Kudos to you Lizzi [smiley=thumbsup.gif],

Just imagine the potential for a super CS community in China ..... Great stuff mate ,

Mal.

Comment

If there is a market there....McDonalds will step in to fill the breach. They already have a foothold after all.

Pity the Chinese.

--Robusto

Comment

i sincerely believe in the capacity of human kind to make decisions if presented with choices....

so if Maccas and GJ and whoever comes in to flood the market in China and every one of their customers buys, at some time in their life,  one properly roasted, ground, prepared and poured coffee  in a small coffee shop and then realises there is a difference in flavour and character of the coffee...

well, it it then entirely up to them where they buy their coffee in from that time on!

L

Comment

Ah, in an ideal world, how true, Lizzi. I probably once held similar dreams about hamburgers. History proved me wrong, alas.

-Robusto

Comment

Off topic replies have been moved to [link=http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1186656785]This Thread[/link]

Comment

Working...
                X