Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migraine- What do you do?

Well,

I am back after losing a whole day to migraine. Unlike others, Im fortunate as I only get a couple a year, but when they do happen, they are totally incapacitating.

5am Saturday I had a nasty headache, took some painkillers, woke at 7 feeling crappy and by 9am it was full blown: pain, nausea and vomiting every 20min right through to 6pm and then still decidely average at 10.30 pm...

For me, its not chocolate or red wine. It can sometimes be day 1 after a stressful period- but not this time. There was just no reason....

I have tried Imigran with some success but otherwise just the usual regime of painkillers etc. I hear that some are experimenting with Botox, but I reckon I have better places to put it if I wanted to go down that path  ...

So, do you get them and have you found anything that works for you?

Re: Migraine- What do you do?

Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear that youve been crook mate , Migraines are bloody terrible things.... My sister suffers from them quite regularly too unfortunately. Have you come across this informative website.....http://www.migraine-disability.net Probably just trying to teach you how to suck eggs but there is some useful info in there.

Hope youre fully recovered ASAP mate , all the best,

Mal.

Comment

Oh how awful Chris. These are an extremely rare event for me now and nowhere near as bad as when I was growing up (all of your descriptors, daily meds, 36 hours sleep during and afterward, etc.).

I have found darkness to be most helpful, but that is probably a given, as would eliminating any organic issues. Things I have found to be helpful:

Wearing sunnies every time you go outside
      Regular, restful sleep at night
      Alternative therapies might provide relief eg. have someone apply pressure between thumb and index finger; a little tiger balm on the temples; a cold shower; meditation

take care

Comment

I also had migraines on a regular basis.

I found most but not all were triggered by red wine, sometimes only one small glass was enough - thus no more red wine.

However when I finally went to a doc, he found my blood pressure was 240 / 150 or roughly double what it should have been. Now on regular BP medication which controls it.

Just saying that there are many causes of migraines and if anyone gets them frequently then go get medical advice to find the underlying cause.

jeff

Comment

Lordy Jeff - its a wonder you didnt pop

Comment

2 x panadeine forte and bed. That is the only way I can deal with them.

I dont get the blasted things as often as I used to, but I know that if i do not eat regularly then i am in for it. Especially if I skip breakfast.

The same with my Aunt and cousin. Oranges sets of my Aunt and Red wine sets of my cousin.

Comment

Last one I had was 3 weeks ago, whole day of vomiting every 20mins followed by intense cold shivers. No medication works, just let it take its course. After finally sleeping large amounts of vegimite on toast seemed to stabilise me!
              Plus working for who I work for doesnt help much

Comment

Plenty of water, & lying down in a dark room with a wet cloth on the forehead I find helps

Comment

bag of frozen peas on the back of the neck too I forgot to mention

Comment

Had a migraine once and took 4 aspros, 4 nurofen and 4 panadols in a 2 hour period.

Didnt work so I just put up with it till it went.

One Mersyndol does the trick for me now - just leaves me feeling dopier than usual (ha ha Sullo beat you to it mate).

Comment

LOL was thinking that....
                      4 digesic did the trick for me last night to get some sleep
                      Im averaging 3-4hrs per day at present

Comment

Originally posted by Sullo link=1194102477/0#6 date=1194142333
                        Plus working for who I work for doesnt help much
                        You dont work for John Howard do you?

Just looking at that main gives me a migraine!

Comment

My 15 yo son suffers from them a few times a year, usually during school holidays when hes been up all night on the computer and sleeping all day. He gets the eye and fingers aura thing, then the headache, vomits afer a couple of hours then sleeps. After that hes better, though still unwell for the rest of the day. Imigran helps a little, but doesnt stop the migraine, so its generally a combination of panadol and nurofen. He got one on Saturday and, after some thought, I gave him one of my post op opiate-type painkillers to see if that would help (his doctor will kill me, I know, but he was in pain and I had them....) They were funny - put him straight to sleep, as I expected, but when he woke up the migraine just picked up where it had left off, so all we did was postpone it all.

Comment

Im still waiting for my migraine to turn 18 and leave the house

On a more serious note I grew up in South Africa as a doctors son and I remember my father having a commercially available "migraine kit" it consisted of a gadget which housed the medicine and a needle. A bit like those once off DIY injectables you can buy. Anyway when he had a migraine one shot from this was enough to have him fighting fit again in under 30min. Dont know if they are available here and will probably require a pescrition, but they seemed to be a very good thing to have on standby.

Comment

sounds like an epipen, my son has one he carrys everywhere, if his breathing becomes difficult, stab his thigh with it and race to hostibubble.
                              and cindy who i work for is worse then howard...

Comment

Working...
                              X