Election Post-Mortem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Election Post-Mortem

Fortunately for John Howard the Australian political system allows him to depart government alive. This is an outstanding feature of our political system and one that should probably be preserved.

Ahem.

Coffee?

Not once in the whole campaign did I hear a serious policy statement about coffee. Oh, I know, some people would say that I am too eager for my own interests to be addressed, after all education, employment, health care, people with disabilities all have issues that need a response.

The Coalition was throwing money around like beads at Mardi Gras and Labor was almost (but not quite) matching their profligate approach to electioneering, but as far as I am aware not one dollar, not one word was spent on the crucial issues for coffee snobs.

All through the campaign we waited to hear, but silence on the issue of a national barista accreditation scheme, nothing on the proposal to build a national espresso machine water supply, not even a whisper of a ban on freeze dried coffee-based products and no committment to the International Treaty for the Prevention of Crappy Coffee.

No, but at the end, at the very end of his speech, after millions of Australians have elected him Supreme Mugwump of the nation, then and only then does Kevin07 reveal his diabolical secret - Tea. "A good strong cup of tea" he said "and perhaps an Iced VoVo on the way through".

We are shocked and appalled here at Cafe Grendel, for though we did not Vote for Rudd we did preference him before the other mob and we had high hopes that in fact he would govern for all Australians, but it seems in fact that he will only govern for the Lipton dippers.

We shall carry on the good fight however - the Greens may well have the balance of power in the senate and although one or two of them seem bent on forcing herbal tea upon us all, the solid core of the Green movement is based on and fueled by coffee.

I shall await developments with interest - and a little trepidation.

Re: Election Post-Mortem

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1195561995/0#1 date=1195562319
    I read today that Kevin drinks tea. *shudder*
    I warned you lot days ago!

Comment

Indeed - any hope of a conversion? We need to get someone on the inside.

Comment

The Greens (crazies) wont be interested in the roasted product because you use Fossil Fuels to obtain it!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarcS link=1195991515/0#3 date=1196031838
          The Greens (crazies) wont be interested in the roasted product because you use Fossil Fuels to obtain it!!
          Bit of a generalisation and stereotyping, to say the least!!!

From one of the crazies.

Comment

Originally posted by rowdee link=1195991515/0#4 date=1196037871
            Originally posted by MarcS link=1195991515/0#3 date=1196031838
            Bit of a generalisation and stereotyping, to say the least!!!

From one of the crazies.
            My appologies, perhaps too a strong a word :-[

My point is, if Australia were at the mercy of Green Policy - it would be broke.

Comment

Solar Roasting anyone?

Comment

I think the same could be said for many minor parties - the focus of the smaller parties tends to be on fewer issues, but it generally works out ok as they get to push their agenda within the limits of what is really a two-party system.

Unfortunately coffee has really missed out, the Coffee Regulation Australia Party (CRAP) got 2 votes for the senate..

Comment

So Marc,

We are at the mercy of non-renewable, polluting policy which could kill us and our future generations,

BUT,

at least we will be solvent (fiscally speaking).

Comment

Originally posted by rowdee link=1195991515/0#8 date=1196042319
                    So Marc,

We are at the mercy of non-renewable, polluting policy which could kill us and our future generations,

BUT,

at least we will be solvent (fiscally speaking).
                    No, absolutely NOT. We (Australia) have 1000 years of Natural Gas reserves - why not use it instead of relying on the Middle East for Oil - Thats a start at least - then we can push the Renewable energy (Although Natural Gas is a lower emitter compared to Oil). All for it. We need to get that balance of a growing economy and reducing emissions.

Problem I have with the Greens is there "Lack" of economic policy - but plenty of everything else regarding emissions. Like it or not, we need to be economically strong to compete with the rest of the world - or well have HUGE unemployment.

Anyway, its good we have a change in Government - The Labour Party are at least interested in alternatives. I consider them the middle ground between the Greens and Liberals regarding the Environment. :-)

Comment

I voted for the What Women Want Party in the Senate ... in the hope that we blokes will finally know! [smiley=evil.gif]

Comment

Shouldnt the WWW party have told us that in their policy statements?

Comment

Their policy statement is quite brief...

"If you dont already know, were not telling you!"

Comment

I thought there was enough natural gas coming out of canberra to fuel the mojority of Australia for the next 100 years or so anyway.

Comment

;D nice one Lucinda!

Comment

Working...
                              X