I feel damaged.....would you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel damaged.....would you?

Today, for the first time in my life, I had to drown couple of beautiful shots of espresso in a mug of hot water, and then add sugar.

Im still recovering...

...so how do other snobs feel about the long black?

Re: I feel damaged.....would you?

Not me ID,

I really only like my espresso brews as 1) An Espresso, usually a Doppio Ristretto; 2) A Doppio Piccolo; or 3) A Doppio Short Latte (about 90ml milk). Adding too much water/sugar to another wise excellent espresso seems to be something of a waste, to me.

Even with my Plunger brews, I generally have a lot less water to coffee ratio than the normal plunger brew..... Usually 3 Tablespoons o beans per Cup that realises about 60-80ml of coffee in each cup/glass. I then leave it up to the imbibers to decide what else they want to add to their coffee after that; I try not to watch :-?....

Mal.

Comment

it depends on what your definition of a "long" black is...
      sometimes i put about 70 mil of hot water in the cup and top it with a double ristretto...., so total would be about 100ml;
      in theory it is a "long", i guess.

but, i then commit a total sacrilegious offence and put some Carnation milk in it... very Dutch, and, yes, very yummy!

for my other coffees i follow Mals line, including the stiff plunger brews

L

Comment

The long black is my normal cafe coffee, I dont love them but it means you have something to sit and drink while the people with you get through their coffee milkshakes (its either that or a shot and some OJ to sip). The abomination is adding milk to coffee in any form, wheres the poll on that?

Comment

Identity: seems like a self-inflicted wound there. You HAD to add water? Forced at gunpoint, were you.

Mark: Nothing wrong with adding milk. I daresay that practice may well be why coffee machines have steam wands! But seriously, I find that a dollop of milk added to espresso imparts a very nice taste.

Comment

I am happy to share my coffee that I am willing to make people what they prefer. I am not a nazi about it and if that is how they enjoy their coffee, then better they enjoy my beautiful home roasted than instant.

Comment

Ya - Ill make it how people ask for it. By their guilty looks though I can see they know it hurts me to do so!

Comment

I reckon you need to meet people where they are, and slowly expose them to the delights of well made coffee. I remember I use to enjoy instant many many years ago.

So if a friend ask for a particular drink, it is only polite to make it for them. With the view offering a different drink next time.

Cheers

Comment

My wife drinks long blacks and appreciates that are made with better espresso shots than she can buy at most cafes.

Comment

Some taste buds can be "educated", but for others, one mans meat is anothers poison etc.

A properly made espresso which can be loved and appreciated by some... may taste abhorrent to others. And thats not necessarily because of an immature palate. Its the way it actually tastes to that person.

If it can be made palatable through the addition of water, sugar, strawberry syrup or whatever.... who are we to judge?

(Even though we do : :-/ :-X ;D

Comment

I had a really good long black at Mecca on the weekend, also, not everyone has my palate, so who am I to say what tastes good for them?

Besides, with a bit of gentle suggestion and education you can often help people down the path. More than once in a good cafe ive passed the sugar on my table to another customer with the suggestion that they just try the coffee first and see if it actually NEEDS sugar.

All of those that have given it a try have handed back the sugar or not used it at all.

Comment

I enjoy a long black (greenman version) double ristretto and 30ml water, makes a nice sipper with plenty of punch and flavour.

Comment

I remember the first time I made a Long Black - twas for my UK Sister-in-law while she was here (in Perth) on a visit (...and trust me, the typical standard of coffee in the UK is, by and large, terrible!)

After a life-time of her drinking bitter, over-extracted excuses for coffee, it was a pleasure to see her eyes light up as she savoured the flavour, aroma and still visible crema.

Long Blacks arent to my taste, but it is kinda neat watching the first dollops of the double ristretto swirling and interacting with the hot water in the cup  

-A-

Comment

Originally posted by Identity link=1197299918/0#0 date=1197299918
                            ...so how do other snobs feel about the long black?
                            Depends on the beans Im using ...

Comment

Had dinner guests on Saturday night, made one of them a lovely single shot of Yemen Bismali with a touch of hot water, she asked for it to be diluted down by 50% again, my wife had to do it as I couldnt bear to adulterate this wonderful brew any further.

Comment

Working...
                              X