New Years Eve treats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Years Eve treats

two of the very traditional NYE treats in The Netherlands are "oliebollen", loosely translated to "oil-balls"... and "appel flappen", or "apple-fritters"...
    sounds worse than it is, believe me... generations of Dutchies have gorged themselves on these treats and walking down a Dutch street on NYE you can smell sweet batter cooking in the hot oil just about at every house.

my earliest memories of NYE are of my mother cooking in the kitchen with a scarf wrapped around her hair, (otherwise her hair would smell of deep-frying oil during the evenings party...) using 3 huge pans full of oil, a bucket  or two of batter and two spoons to drop the batter in the oil...and buckets, literally several buckets of olie-bollen, and huge platters of appel-flappen standing on the floor of the cellar, ready to be put on plates, dusted with lots of icing sugar and delivered to households around town, where older  or sick people  lived who didnt get the chance to cook their own; mum felt that no -one should be wihtout these traditional treats on NYE!

in the household of my aunt and uncle it was my aunts task to cook the appel-flappen, but my grandfather cooked the olie- bollen for both families... somehow he thought that was a mans task
    and also there: buckets and huge platters, ready to be shared.

for days after, when you went visiting to wish people Happy New Year, you were given staler, and staler, olie-bollen and appel flappen for morning tea/coffee, until, after about a week, youd happily throw the next plate-full into the garden!! ;D

the fact that Christmas and New Year  here in Australia happen in the summer season, takes some of the fun out of the hot and sticky job of cooking seasonal sweet delicacies in hot oil, but, every year i get itchy fingers around 10AM on New Year Eve and inevitably, come 7PM we have a plate of sugar covered fingerfoods on the table...

so, in case you too feel like punishing yourself over a hot stove, heres the recipe: it is a "fluid" recipe, so no quantities...

olie-bollen.

white flour, sugar, salt, raisins, currants, sultanas, cinnamon, chopped apple, milk, beer, yeast.

about 4 cups of flour in big  (4-5 Litre) pot or deep mixing bowl, add some salt, sugar, cinnamon.
    activate yeast in warm milk with sugar, pour over flour, add beer whilst stirring... the batter should end up the consistency of thick custard.
    add dried fruit ( i add lots!) and 1  big apple chopped in small pieces (granny smith is good..); add some milk to make the batter "flow" just a bit easier.
    taste the batter: it should be slightly salty and sweet.
    cover with damp cloth, leave to rise until at least double size....
    heat about 6 cm oil in deep pan (oil should be at least 5 cm  from top of pan) to just smoking, turn down heat a bit and drop clumps of the batter from a n oiled  spoon or ice-cream scoop in the oil.

if the batter has risen properly the olie-bollen will brown on the underside to a CS7-8 in about 90 seconds, then turn over by themselves ( or with  little help from a fork) to cook on the other side for another minute.
    fish them out with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
    i generally test the first one by breaking it open to see if the inside has been cooked through... it needs to be "just cooked", otherwise they end up really tough and dry.
    if they are brown on the outside, but still uncooked inside, turn down the heat a bit.
    layer the olie-bollen on a plate; dust each layer generously with icing sugar. eat lots.

appel-flappen.

peel, core and slice apples  (Granny Smith) in 1 cm thick rings.
    sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon, leave to marinade for about 1 hour.

make thick batter from white flour, salt, sugar, cinnamon, equal quantities of beer and milk.

oil should be hot, but not smoking.
    take slice of apple, dry off with kitchen paper, dip in batter and fry quickly in shallow oil, both sides.
    if they cook too long, the apple turns to apple sauce...
    layer on plate and sprinkle with icing sugar and cinnamon.

once you have finished cooking, call me and i will come to get some... it is really tooo bloody hot here to even contemplate cooking them myself.... i think...  :-/

Have a great New Years Eve!!

L

Re: New Years Eve treats

Too hot for me to cook too.

Though I was intrigued with the names...

Comment

Mmmm,

That brings back memories Lizzi..... My Oma used to be a terrific cook and her olie-bollen and appel-flappen used to just melt in your mouth. Right from when I was about 5 y.o., I often made myself sick by eating too many but I think thats part of the fun .

Weird thing about the men taking on the olie-bollen cooking duties.... When Oma passed away, the duties of performing this most delightful chore fell to yours truly. Must admit, havent done this for a while though since my health took a nose-dive a few years ago, will have to reawaken the tradition I think 8-).

Thanks for the reminder Lizzi ,

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mal link=1198995025/0#2 date=1199002785

.....the duties of performing this most delightful chore fell to yours truly.
        mate, if you truly think it is a delightful job, be my guest!!

the problem i have is that the results are so very delightful, but the job itself .... uhm, no!...generally tempted to have half the beer myself just to cheer me up and cool me down!

must admit i find it easier to do in the cooler weather, so i have been known to make a batch in June or July...they taste just as good!!

hope i got your olie-bollen juices going, Mal ;D ;D

have a good one!

L

Comment

LOL ;D,

No, I dont really mind doing the job... even used to do it in the Pilbara Summers and you know what theyre like . Mind you, had a couple of very willing little helpers back then and now theyve grown up and probably dont give olie-bollen a single thought. Made em in PNG too.... we were up there for quite a few years as well. Went down very well with the locals I have to say .

Anyway "jonge dame" hope you and family have a terrific New Year and get everything you all wish for..... ;D

Cheers [smiley=beer.gif],
          Mal.

Comment

Dank U wel, meneer... :-*

all the best, Mal, for you and your loved ones!

L

Comment

Its funny you mentioned the beer Lizzi, while reading the list I thought "I bet the beer is for the cook and not the batter".

Appel-flappen sounds excellent... anything that has cinnamon in it and on it cannot be bad.  Might get a bag of apples and give that one a go although it wont be tomorrow (40c way too HOT).

Comment

LOL..... no, the beer is really for the batter
                it is best used warm becaue it aerates better that way, and mostly the batter gets made early in the morning, so you can get the baking over and done with just after lunch... and wash the smell out of you hair and clothes before the evening!

although i will not say "no" to a beer on a hot day, i draw the line at a warm beer at 08.30... ;D ;D

L

Comment

I pictured a dutch version of "Clive" (forgotten his last name) who found a way of putting a splash of good red into every dish and poured a glass or two for himself while cooking.  Fish, soup, ice cream... everything had a spash of plonk in it except himself which always had a fair bit more inside by the end of the show.

Comment

;D ;D

Comment

Are you sure youre not thinking of Keith Floyd?

Clive is the name of the cameraman hes always talking to.

Comment

sorry, TG, not good at remembering names of TV personalities... just know it was funny..

L

Comment

i must be mad... 42 C outside and i am cooking oliebollen....

but then, they are so very yummy.... Mal, eat your heart out (or did i persuade you to make some???? )

L

Comment

Yummmmm, I love oliebollen. I was taught to make them in a TAFE baking course - the teacher was english and used rum in his recipe instead of the beer. Luckily I worked with a guy from the Netherlands who let me know the "secret" ingredient.

Comment

Well, the plate doesnt look like that anymore: its half empty... Rob just came home ;D ;D ;D

i will have to hide the rest, otherewise we will not have any for tonight!!

L

Comment

Working...
                              X