Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regular Rainfall & Change 4 the Better Weather!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regular Rainfall & Change 4 the Better Weather!!

Its been a very cool summer here in the "outback" and weve had very regular rainfall. In fact, its stormy and raining here now.

Of course, I could look at the internet and see where else on the weather radars it is currently raining but theres nothing like hearing it from the horses mouth!

Let me know if youve got rain, floods or just still dry even!

I guess Im a weather tragic. Something that rubbed off onto me from being married to a pilot whos job was heavily weather condition dependent. So Ive got a line up of great weather sites that I use to check weather...

I use...

eldersweather.com.au
    weatherzone.com.au
    weather.com.au
    narrabriweather.net
    bom.gov.au

Theyre just some of the weather sites I visit. Im always keen to hear more so if you use one that I dont and you like it, please let me know!

And if I get sick of looking at them, I just go outside and have a look for myself! ;D

Re: Regular Rainfall & Change 4 the Better Weather

Hi Scoota, weve forgotten what rain looks like in Perth, its been hot and dry for ages now, thunderstorms are forecast for the next few days but so far all weve got is strong winds and clouds. Inland has received some rain but the city is still bone dry!!

Comment

Originally posted by scoota gal link=1202098617/0#0 date=1202098617
      I guess Im a weather tragic.
      Comes with the territory when you live and/or work out on the land Scoots .... Weather topics always seem to be close to the top of the list around here too.

Like you, weve a had a really great Summer too so far, not too hot and a frequency of good rain that takes me back to my youth. This weekend Id reckon weve had close to 50mm or so and further East lots of centres have recorded much more than 150mm . Hope a lot of it ends up in the dams where its needed,

Mal.

Comment

Same thoughts here, Mal.

Actually, just watching the satellite images and I cant believe that the cloud is building over us again. Must be a really intense trough up there!

Greenman, I thought that Perth had been getting some good weather. I know that W.A in general had a far better wheat crop than the eastern states due to the better rains. Though, I guess that was a while ago now! (winter that is!)

Comment

Been very dry in Adelaide as well.
          We had one good rainfall of about 30mm back in mid Dec and hour or so of rain that hit some of Adelaide with less than 10mm and that has been it.
          Late Dec was very nasty temp wise but the last few weeks havent been too bad, just a bit stickier than usual and we arent getting our usual cool nights to cool our house down. But I dont think we have had many temps over 35.
          I too look at BOM several times a day.
          At home it is often going showing the temps outside. Also have a few digital thermometers around our house and out in my orchid house.

Comment

Originally posted by scoota gal link=1202098617/0#3 date=1202110214
            Same thoughts here, Mal.

Greenman, I thought that Perth had been getting some good weather. I know that W.A in general had a far better wheat crop than the eastern states due to the better rains. Though, I guess that was a while ago now! (winter that is!)
            Yes, we had a great winter in 2007 especially the wheat farmers but since then its has been hot and dry, maybe those clouds will drop a storm on us in the next couple of days!!!

Comment

As I post, listening to the rain outside at the moment hitting my tin roof, gladly pouring into a newly installed tank ... its the first time in 2 years that Ive seen my beloved tree ferns emerge from stagnation & bare grasp of life, to unfurl their majestic fronds & lap up what the heavens are offering. Nature blossoming is pure magic!

Flash flooding in Brissy over the past several days, with apparently more to come. Humidity just prior to the downfalls is hitting 92% :P Sticky & muggy, but gotaluv the consistent downpours. Wivenhoe Dams at 30%, & apparently Hinze Dam on the Gold Coast hinterland is bursting at the seams, with many towns backing the coast cut off due to major flooding.

Im admittedly a weather tragic myself, mainly to know what my mobile cafe has to contend with in the day ahead. With no modulated air-con standard cafe setting, humidity plays havoc with grind settings ... then theres the bloody windy rain >

Still, yeah Scoots, lovin the rain ...

Tony

Comment

Wivenhoe still only 30%? Wow, I would have thought it had got a bit more in it than that, what with the rain over Christmas and into New Year. Either that, or Brisvegas is still not on high enough water restrictions! Well, this should help it get a bit more into it, Tony!

I hope you guys in the west and south get some relief too from the dry! I cant tell you how nice it is to see the colour green on more than just my laptop screen!

Comment

Originally posted by scoota gal link=1202098617/0#7 date=1202120257
                  Wivenhoe still only 30%? Wow, I would have thought it had got a bit more in it than that, what with the rain over Christmas and into New Year. Either that, or Brisvegas is still not on high enough water restrictions!
                  Its frustrating watching the pattern Scoots - always skirts Wivenhoe ...

Briz is on level 6 - council water wise patrols out & about catching folks with a hose in hand!

Comment

For the casual observer or listener, the reported levels for Wivenhoe can be a little confusing as there is an Upper Wivenhoe and a Lower Wivenhoe system that comprises the total Wivenhoe storage capacity. I believe the levels that are most oft reported are that of the lower storage dam and dont include the upper section.

They actually have a significant Hydro Generation plant between the two levels and in Off Peak periods, pump water back up into the upper section ready for use during Peak Load periods of a day, such as when everyone is at home preparing meals or maybe thats changed with the huge take-up of Air Conditioning systems in recent years :-?.

Anyway, the overall stats of the entire Wivenhoe system are quite impressive and make for interesting reading.....

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mal link=1202098617/0#9 date=1202125300
                      For the casual observer or listener, the reported levels for Wivenhoe can be a little confusing as there is an Upper Wivenhoe and a Lower Wivenhoe system that comprises the the total Wivenhoe storage capacity. I believe the levels that are most oft reported are that of the lower storage dam and dont include the upper section ...
                      Interesting & intriguing point Mal - as a casual yet regular observer of Wivenhoe levels, I was not aware that the dam had varying output sections segregated.

Personally, Id prefer to have it drinkable in my glass tomorrow - not feeding my neighbours air-con condensation needs ...

So if Wivenhoes 30% full, whats where if its divided? :-?

Comment

Originally posted by GrindOnDemand link=1202098617/0#10 date=1202127314
                        So if Wivenhoes 30% full, whats where if its divided? :-?
                        Dont really know for sure Tony but I suspect it is the large lower section, ie the one that everyone can see from the road and from where the water is actually piped away. Only guessing though....

Mal.

Comment

All the rain is also great for coffee sales!!!!

We have had so much rain up here that our 90,000L water tank capacity has been overflowing every rainfall since christmas.

Comment

It might come as a surprise to some, but Tassie is presently very dry. This November to January period was the driest on record for Hobart; the hydro dams are at 23% and much of central and Eastern/North Eastern Tasmania are drought declared.

Comment

Originally posted by m@ link=1202098617/0#13 date=1202161212
                              It might come as a surprise to some, but Tassie is presently very dry. This November to January period was the driest on record for Hobart; the hydro dams are at 23% and much of central and Eastern/North Eastern Tasmania are drought declared.
                              no problem, m@, betcha itll rain soon after the 17th of feb  ;D... we seem to have a tail of rain wherever we go, no doubt that is going to happen in Tassie too

L

Comment

Working...
                              X