• Mac Or PC

Do you have a Mac or a PC? :-?
    If you have a mac checkout www.applegossip.com
    By the way i have a MacBook :P

Re: Mac Or PC

Wheres the option for both?

Comment

I completely forgot about that one! sorry!

Comment

Dual-boot Linux|WinXP Pro.....

Use Linux for everything I can and WinXP for the few things that cant be adequately covered in Linux,

Mal.

Comment

I started with a 256k Amstrad green screen and used a turtle to draw lines! Thought it was amazing till I upgraded to the Mac Classic that had a whole 1gb of RAM.

Hooked up to the net in 95 thanks to a company I worked for. Why do I suddenly feel old? ;D

Nowadays use PCs, which I guess are el cheapo versions of a Mac anyway.

The new Macbook Air looks sweet!

Comment

I started in 1980 with Dick Smith System 80 (Tandy TRS-80 clone).

It was the new model with more memory.
            A whopping 16k of memory. Yes k.
            The old model was only 4k.

No hard drive.
            Cassette tape for storage.

Upgraded a few times.
            Use PCs these days.

Comment

Four working PCs, two disembowled PCs  .  If money was no object,. Id have a wireless network of 5 Macbooks, but only if I could have all the equivalent software that I have now for PCs.

My 15yr old daughter got herself a PT job for 8months so that she could save for her own Macbook. When the time came to buy it,..she(we) decided she would get more bang for her buck by getting a HP laptop instead(of course a desktop has waaay more bang for the buck,..but shes a teenage girl and wants to lay on the floor or sit on her bed if she feels like it while shes on the computer : ). Another main reason for not getting the Macbook in the end was the software!! Going down the Mac path,..she would also have to find money to buy photoshop and other graphic and music studio type software that she uses a lot on our PCs. This software issue was the real clincher in giving the Mac idea a miss.

Its a shame really,.it would be wonderful to have all Macs,.. but while Macs have definitely become more affordable (edging nearer to the price of PCs) they still have a way to go before people will be tempted enough to do the switch to Macs from PCs (even though heaps of people would love to), especially when these days,. were not talking about switching just one computer per household over to Mac,.. its a network of computers because by the time children are in their teens,..nearly everyone in a family has their own computer. My kids need their own computers,.. they all have to access the school intranet from home to complete some homework tasks,. as well do Mathletics online,..research for assignments and email some of their homework to teachers and so on.

When I look at my little network,.. even if someone came in the door and said "here,.. take these four Macs for your four PCs".. I couldnt do it because of the software the kids need/use/own.

One day though,... I will have a Mac for myself.

Comment

PC for me.

Dealing with Apple for a DOA MacBook Pro was a nightmare and has put me off Macs altogether. They just didnt want to play ball. Took them 3 months to replace like for like. We deploy a few Macs here at work connected to AD nationally

Comment

Im still using my Commodore 64

No actually, I havea PC, but I want a Mac too

Comment

Commodore 64s came in to being a liitle while after my System 80.

64k of memory! WOW!! (Can I say that Andy?)

Comment

Originally posted by HCK link=1208219664/0#2 date=1208250833
                      I completely forgot about that one! sorry!
                      I voted both, but meaning Linux and Windows (as a VM).

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1208219664/0#9 date=1208305652
                        Commodore 64s came in to being a liitle while after my System 80.

64k of memory!
                        Yeah I remember my friend had an Amiga 128 - I was so jealous... it was soooo fast haha.

Comment

I voted both , also meaning Linux (prime operating system) and Windows (XP pro)....

Started off many, many years ago with a "home brew" Signetics (Philips) 2650 micro with 1K eprom (Bios) and 4K ram! Input was via a T100 teletype keyboard and the output was the page copy from the T100. It also had a memory mapped character only video output (sharing the same 4K memory).

Another enthusiast (read nutter) and I wrote a disk operating system for the beast in machine code (not even assembler was available)..... and I purchased a Micropolis 720K (High density!!!!) floppy drive for mass storage.... cost over $1000!

Now it is Linux except for the odd "Windows only" application - something needing VBscript....

Macs have better graphics capabilities but lock you in to their genuine peripherals.... Windows PCs are more "open" and just like the open source operating system (Linux) - you arent locked in to a single supplier.

Comment

JavaB, the only part of that last post that I understood was the "cost over $1000"... Im so not down with old skool computer lingo. hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by JavaB link=1208219664/0#12 date=1208306593
                              Macs have better graphics capabilities but lock you in to their genuine peripherals.... Windows PCs are more "open" and just like the open source operating system (Linux) - you arent locked in to a single supplier.
                              Both of these points certainly used to be true, but Id question whether its so much the case now - particularly since Apple moved to Intel CPUs and video cards. In 99% of cases, the only reason you might be unable to use a third-party peripheral on an Apple system would be that the manufacturer hasnt bothered to supply a MacOS driver...

Comment

Working...
                              X