Wheres the fun gone???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheres the fun gone???

OK, so it appears that this is the appropriate place to discuss general things so here goes.

Im a big fan of CS and have learned heaps, bought heaps and meet some really cool people.

But my recent experiences have been less than fun with what i would consider some over zealous moderating in the For Sale forum.

Now I understand the rules (especially now they have been updated and clarified) and I DO respect them and I DO realise its good to stay on topic but JEEEEEEEEZ!  ...a bit of friendly banter in a thread and a friendly reminder from a moderator appears to cut it out.

Yes... if a thread is getting too off topic and a bit outa hand then sure, bring it back but to be told off after one post!!!  

In MY opinion, as a big fan of CS (and someone that would love to keep visiting)... it would be worth lightning up a bit and letting there be some fun had (even if it is a little off topic from time to time)

The example i give is this:
    Seller: Im not too crazy about selling this equipment hence the higher price.
    Me: did the wife find out you bought it mate?
    Seller:More like my momma!  
    She found my toys under my bed!
    now back to topic....
    Mod:A request to all that for sales posts be kept on topic. If you are not interested in purchasing the item, you can discuss similar equipment within other threads.
    PM the seller if youre interested in a purchase...

Id love to keep frequenting this forum (more than once a day at the moment...) but if this is the way its going to be then id be sad
    I would have thought that a bit of banter keeps the topics alive...

What are other peoples thoughts on this?  

Im not pretending that this site is a democracy (Andy is the democracy!) but I thought it would be good to have this discussion.

Re: Wheres the fun gone???

Im all for fun menace - hell, my name is Dennis! I think that Andy and the Mods may have even created the off topic section for people like me!

The longer Ive been a member here, the more I agree with the policies. Sometimes remarks that are off topic (and Im still guilty of that from time to time) can really confuse the flow of a topic. I think the Mods are very tolerant, and only draw people back to the topic at hand, if the topic goes off topic, for too long or in a big way.

When it comes to the for sale threads, were very lucky to have a freely available service that, lets face it, has better results than any paid ad you could put anywhere else. If you paid for an ad would you be happy if someone graffitid it? I dont think so.

I did read your post in that particular for sale thread, and yes, I thought it was funny. However, I also thought the seller could easily take offense at the remarks - it wouldnt be hard to do.

Its easier to have a rule for everyone and stick to it. That to me, seems much more fair than letting one thing slide and clamping down on another.

The off topic section allows us to pretty much speak on any topic we desire. I think we should keep it that way.

Comment

Nice try Dennis, some of us remember you when.

Menace, I agree with what Dennis says, Im just in shock that he said it.

Comment

Originally posted by Viviane link=1209559305/0#2 date=1209563393
        Nice try Dennis, some of us remember you when.

Menace, I agree with what Dennis says, Im just in shock that he said it.
        What can I say? Like a good wine, Ive mellowed! : ;D

Comment

My take on this particular event,..for what it is worth  :

I noticed there had been quite a number for sale threads going off topic in recent weeks and each time this happened, mods reminded everyone to keep these threads on topic. Sometimes moving off topic posts (natural flows of conversation as happens face to face) to more appropriate areas of CS.

Remember, this is just my take on it,..but it seemed (to me) that thread (not just your post)was possibly moded early because of the recent number of other off topic posts in these threads,.. and possibly also because your post brought out a response from the seller that was very funny and as a consequence, actually invited responses to it like bait to a school of piranha,lol....and so then had the potential to go off topic for many posts to follow despite the seller saying now back on topic .  I think the mod saw that and put out the flame early is all.  

Comment

And I totally agree that topics should be kept on topic... my thoughts are that its a tad extreme at the moment.

Going off topic slightly is a fact of life and stomping on this really puts a dampener on things

Comment

Yeah, I guess Ive not been a member for that long, reletive to some others, but Ive joined some threads, mid thread and seen some of the topics that have gone way off the original topic in such a short time, say, within an hour. Its easy for that to happen, and totally understandable. I guess its even more sensitive within the "For sale" section because thats what its for. And the other threads for comments on other machines, including those which are going for sale. I think the mods have to keep things on a tight reign, otherwise forums like these get outta control and its a logistical nightmare trying to navigate or find previous topics when doing a search.

I guess my main point is that the "For Sale" section is one topic that really needs a tighter reign than some of the others. Ive noticed lately that a lot of the For Sale threads have been hijacked or gone OT, with a mod to step in... maybe you got made an example or something haha

Comment

ok, Remy, I think we were typing at the same time, thinking the same things.

Comment

Originally posted by YeeZa link=1209559305/0#6 date=1209564280
                  maybe you got made an example or something haha

feels like it... yay for me!

Comment

Regarding keeping everything strickly on topic (except for the Off Topic area).. I have found generally when forums try to keep a very tight reign on that (and I dont think they do that here btw,.. I think CS has found a happy balance) conversation can at times be stifled and actually overall the forum IMO will develop a sense of a less friendly and very serious environment,.. which could be perfect for some forums depending on what they are about.

If I can use a parallel,.. say there were a whole bunch of CSrs at a get-together, and I was standing in a group where we were discussing erm,..I dunno.. a coffee machine in the $500 to $1000 range :,... and something that somebody said,.. reminded me of a funny thing that happened on the way to the get-together,.to do with the machine but was really quite off topic,... but I had to step away from that conversation with that group and go stand in the corner of the room by myself and say it to the wall, hoping someone will eventually come along and join me for a laugh.

That is kind of what it would be like if this forum was strictly moderated to keep things on topic all the time. Disjointed,..a very unnatural way to communicate and completely stopping the natural flow of conversation wouldnt be good for any community. I dont believe CS mods do that in any extreme sense thank goodness.

I personally think that you can get a feel about whether a topic has run its race,.. and letting the conversation flow naturally after it has.. is great and makes it also a fun and friendly forum.

Comment

Originally posted by YeeZa link=1209559305/0#7 date=1209564484
                      ok, Remy, I think we were typing at the same time, thinking the same things.
                      You know what they say about great minds!!! .............. yeah...what was that they say??

Comment

4700 members, 100,000 posts and very, very few rules because for the most part we trust each other to ensure the forum remains usable.

Of course, the inverse of your problem is the seller who contacts us saying "someone hijacked my for sale thread, can you do something about it?"

We have an amazing resource here, and a community of people having a lot of fun with a great hobby. I doubt there are many people on the site that havnt learnt something from, or shared something with, people that they may never meet.

The fun is most certainly still here, you might just need to lay-back, relax a little and appreciate the good bits.

Oh, BTW, as hard as we try sometimes we manage to make a bad call... we all do them and sadly thats human nature. With anyluck those bad calls are few and far between.

Punchline (as always) is,

Enjoy!

Comment

thanks 4 taking the time Andy -

I know... I know...
                          I agree with everything everyone has said.

Just wanted to air my concern and its great that so many have responded
                          I was just feeling a little put off and didnt want this to become the way things are round here.
                          I am used to forum posting (mainly computer related) so am familiar with the way they all work and my experience is that CS is certainly more strict then any other ive come across. It seems this will take a bit of getting used to.

Comment

For the amount of discussion of a subject which we are all passionate about, the art of espresso and all things coffee related CS is a wonderful resource and has enhanced and nurtured my understanding of this complex subject.
                            I can put up with the occasional foible along the way in my search for coffee knowledge.
                            Keep up the good work CSers............................................. .

Comment

Yep this is a great site !
                              I posted a question on HB and when I checked the reply I found 2 pages of off topic (in fact some quite nasty) comments on the whys and wherefores of taste vs looks etc. This had literally nothing to do with my question. It was basically a couple of members having a go at each other. The question I asked was only addressed by one comment that was 2 questions.
                              My point: "This site is far more freindly than others and alot more tolerant to newbies and in my case probably the odd dumb question !"

Cheers CS people !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X