Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stroller advice

Hello all,
    Mrs Lovey and I are expecting our first new addition to the family early next year, and were starting to look at some of the required baby gear. Geez, I thought my coffee habit hobby was expensive ;D.
    At this stage were looking at prams/strollers (what is the difference BTW?), with the 3 wheel jogger type pram/stroller looking like the preferred option.
    If anyone has any suggestions, horror stories, or other general helpful advice, feel free to let rip.
    Thanks in advance,
    Steve.

Re: Stroller advice

Hi Steve,

With our first we got a swallow one from babyco. For a very cheap pusher it did the job. The only problem we got there was that the back wheels became a bit loose (not fall off loose, just wobbly) leading to the pusher wanting to always go one direction which became a bit annoying!

When the second came we got a phil and teds vibe. No problems yet! If you have any plans at all for a second, I would really consider a phil and teds. The have some good deals available on the sports model at the moment. But dont try second hand - they seem to sell for lots (ive actually seem some sell more than the cheaper stores do them brand new!). The only reason we went the vibe over the sports is that we do lots of walking, and the vibe has a little more room to stride out (if you are tall a good thing!).

Damian.

Comment

We started off with a massive sports 3 wheeler. It takes up plenty of room in the boot and isnt exactly shop friendly. We quickly swapped to a stroller type that is light and takes up no room. The 3 wheeler has been retired to a beach pram only. With any 3 wheeler just be aware that they have to be very wide to be stable. this can be a nightmare in shops as not every store is built to accomodate them.

Comment

Check out the Phil & Teds. We have ours and love it. Seems pretty popular with the Mothers Groups moms .

It is the narrowest 3 wheeler on the market, can be easily folded up and put in the car (about 12kg). It can have a seat added if you are brave enough to have a second one.

It can also be made to lay flat and has 2 more upright positions. We have had it from Newborn to 16 months and still going strong. The only criticism my wife had was that when the baby is a newborn, it cannot be made to face you.

B

Comment

Congrats Lovey! We had our first in 2005 and got a Swallow Beema Q from Babyco (3 wheeler). I must admit it was our first serious pram shopping trip to a dedicated baby store (all other outings had been to Big W etc) but we were swayed that way over the others in the store on 1) looks, 2) the ongoing availability of a bassinet (which we bought last year for our second and was still available and current) and 3) because it had received a number of favourable reviews including from Choice (just as well this isnt Babysnobs... ;D). Three years on weve had no problems at all. It packs up quickly and into a relatively compact package, the wheels all come off in a matter of seconds. Its wide enough to be stable but not too wide for narrow aisles (theyve got the compromise right there IMHO), and the manouvreability of a three wheeler leaves four wheelers for dead!

Weve also got a stroller. A stroller is one of those small things with a wheel (or two) in each corner that weigh about half a kilo and fold up to next to nothing (well not quite, but comparatively). Much cheaper and more lightweight, harder to steer and less comfortable but far more portable. Ours I think was about $60 from Big W. We always keep ours in the back of the wagon and its useful for moving slightly older kids (6 months+) when youre not going far and just dont want to carry them. When were going away somewhere or going out on a dedicated walk, we always take the pram. In coffee terms, the pram is the Diadema + Robur for home while the stroller is the plunger + hand grinder for camping!

Things may have changed now, and Phil and Teds is a new name to me so view this advice in the context of whats current - although in themselves theyre still good products. The only other thing that I may have added would be a hand brake - at the time I couldnt see the point but if you do a bit of jogging or have hills near your place it can sometimes be tricky to control the descent of a 20kg pram + baby package!
          Greg

Comment

My kids are 24 and 27.
            I think any examples of prams/strollers we used can only now be seen in a museum.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1221416614/0#5 date=1221434952
              My kids are 24 and 27.
              I think any examples of prams/strollers we used can only now be seen in a museum.
              Hopefully youll have em outa nappies soon TG ;D

Comment

Just a comment on Gregs comment.

3 wheelers and joggers are very different. You need a fixed wheel to jog (you can do this on Phil & Teds) but it is not recommended.

You also cannot jog with a baby until after 6 months. The P&T is pretty robust for grass / gravel etc. It even manages well on sand.

Rgds
                Ben

Comment

Good point of difference Ben, we didnt need ours for jogging so didnt look into that but its worth pointing out for those who do. Ours has a swivel lock on the front wheel so it can be used in either a swinging or fixed configuration so I suppose this would make it both a 3 wheeler and a jogger. Weve normally left it swinging for manouvreability but on the few times its gone faster than walking pace its been really useful to lock the front wheel straight ahead. With a steady track and wide pneumatic tyres, it manages very well on road or off road, sand and so on - its pretty much go anywhere. I guess its basic configuration must be fairly similar to the P&T as we seem to be reporting similar benefits, except perhaps the swivel lock on the front wheel.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Pullman link=1221416614/0#8 date=1221437934
                    Good point of difference Ben, we didnt need ours for jogging so didnt look into that but its worth pointing out for those who do. Ours has a swivel lock on the front wheel so it can be used in either a swinging or fixed configuration so I suppose this would make it both a 3 wheeler and a jogger. Weve normally left it swinging for manouvreability but on the few times its gone faster than walking pace its been really useful to lock the front wheel straight ahead. With a steady track and wide pneumatic tyres, it manages very well on road or off road, sand and so on - its pretty much go anywhere. I guess its basic configuration must be fairly similar to the P&T as we seem to be reporting similar benefits, except perhaps the swivel lock on the front wheel.

Greg
                    P& T has swivel lock
                    I cant believe I am debating the benefits of Prams rather coffee machines.

Comment

Have had a Mountain Buggy 3 wheeler for the little guy (going on 3 now). Its been a fantastic stroller with plenty of carry spaces for things....
                      My only recommendation is go somewhere trustworthy that has a good range and test them all out... look for the following things:

- how easy is is to set up and put down
                      - how big is it (good shops will let you try and fit it in the boot of your car, assuming its close by - we are glad we did as 2 of the strollers we were looking at wouldnt fit)
                      - whats the build quality like
                      - how easy are the brakes to use
                      - how easy is the harness to use
                      - ask the staff what the return rates for broken strollers are for the brands (you would be surprised how many break early on)
                      - if you dont have a subscription to choice it can be worth it - Im surprised at how many of the strollers we were looking at failed some of their simple tests and some even failed under load

Last but not least - try them out.. its the first "car" for your kid... push it around the shop, put it down and up etc....

And remember you dont have to have just 1 stroller - we have the 3 wheeler for most trips, but also have a very small 4 wheel stroller bought on special that we take when we know we are going to be pressed for either boot space or isle space (restaurants etc) -

GS

Comment

Our tips:

Light-weight (~11kg)
                        Easy to fold in one step
                        Packs down/fits in boot without removing wheels (imagine wet days)
                        Fits thru Coles checkouts
                        Wheels big enough to go up gutters
                        Lies flat for sleeping + changing nappies

Personally prefer a 3-wheeler.

Comment

Congrats Steve,

Dont really know 100% the difference between a stroller and a pram, but we always assumed the stroller was just a smaller light weight version of the pram.

FWIW, our beautiful boys are nearly 3 & 5 so we are just about to close the pram/stroller chapter..........whoo hoo!

We went with a Valco 3 wheeler because it has accessories making it adaptable over its life: as you baby grows, the requirements of a pram will change.

First we used the bassinet option, which is basically a removable cocoon that clips into the pram. This was great for the first few months [sleeping baby] and has the bonus of being removable so that when you visit friends the bassinet can come inside, giving your baby somewhere comfortable to sleep.

Next, once your child can sit up, you use it as a basic pram [the bassinet is removed], the sitting angle can be adjusted via zips from a fully sitting position to a fully reclining position.

In its final stages, we added an toddler seat so both our boys could be carried together.

What you come up with will depend on your own needs, but Ill list some of our drivers and experiences with the pram to give you some food for thought.

We liked the Adaptability [as above] but you could also consider changing to different prams as you babys needs change.
                          Dedicated functions are possibly better than the adaptable/onesize fits all approach.
                          Baby stuff is easy to sell, so this may be a better option for you.

Manouverability was important to us.
                          My wife wanted to walk everywhere [and generally still does], so the larger pneumatic tyres and a 3 wheeled configuration on the Valco were good.
                          We have front steps, and regularily used dirt tracks [where we walked our dog] plus there are always gutters etc. to negotiate.
                          I think 3 wheeled prams are easier to steer.
                          The rear axel is relatively wide, great for stability but some people found that the pram would be tight to move indoors and through some supermarket checkouts, but we found it ok.

Folding/collapsing is important as you will be putting this thing in and out of your car more times than you will ever think possible.
                          The Valco did this well, but it [and probably any other pram] will require a bit of practise. I recommend you and your partner do practise this, as, if it can be a seamless exercise, your life will be much easier.
                          There is something really satisfying when youre in a car park and another car is waiting for your spot and you kick the back of the pram, push the handle and fold the thing over in seconds.
                          Equally, we were able to pull it out of the boot and sort of throw it down and open it a at the same time..........smooth!

Obviously, you need to look at you boot space too.

Weight may be consideration for you, our;s was on the heavier/larger size but it was ok for both of us.

The toddler seat was good, if you think you may have another child, you should think about how you will manage this.
                          If the pram will not be used for long outings [ie just between the car and the shops etc] then your older child will probably be able to walk]
                          When occupied, the toddler seat in the Valco did make it harder to steer but it was still manageable.
                          You should never just use the toddler seat as it can make the pram top heavy/unstable and we always found it better to have the lightest child in the toddler seat.

Overall we were very happy with the pram; at about the 3 year mark, after several Kms everyday and a year of 2 kids in transit, the aluminium frame cracked.
                          The pram had proved a pretty solid workhorse so we decided to replace it with the same pram again and were able to score a nearly new one via a mothers group friend.

As a closing side:
                          I thorougly recommend some sort of pre-packed accessory/nappy bag to hang of the pram: ours had change mat, wipes, towels, spare clothes etc plus other compartments we used for food, bottles, favorite toys etc.
                          If youve got this organised, youre always ready to go.
                          [Having kids is all about redeveloping your organisation skills]

Good luck with the birth and the whole process, its a wonderful experience...............and may your grinder be quiet enough to never wake your child.

Comment

To me a baby lies in a pram and sits in a stroller.

Comment

... but what then do you call most of these 3 wheelers where the kid can either lie flat or sit upright? :-? Is a laptop a portable computer, a DVD player or a mobile phone? Too much multifunctioning to call anything anything these days! Heck we even have a tea spout on coffee machines - what next?!

Comment

Working...
                              X