Tomato Growing Experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomato Growing Experiment

After collecting enough pucks from my espresso machine, I have decided to put them to good use. I am using the spent pucks to see if the Tomatoes grow better if planted in ground coffee or ordinary soil.
    So what I have done is prepare the soil and plant 2 tomato plants of the same type 75cm apart facing the same direction to the sun, 1 has been planted in garden soil the other I dug a bigger hole and filled it with coffee then placed the plant on top, then back filled it with the remaining coffee.
    The coffee has been mixed with some garden Lime to sweeten it up. So now I will wait and see if they grow any different

Re: Tomato Growing Experiment

Next thing you know your tomato bush will be looking a bit frazzled until they get their daily used coffee puck fix  :-?

It would be interesting to see the results.

Comment

My wife grew tomatoes last year.
      I cant be bothered with them as they are high maintenance.
      A few have sprouted this year from fallen fruit so shes tending to them again.
      I dont know how they got there but I found two plants yesterday sprouted in a gap between the house and path a good 1.5 metres from the garden bed.
      Hopefully yours are as determined martybean.

Comment

The best tasting tomatoes Ive had is from a bush that grew just as you described TG. You just have to beat the fruit flies to the tomatoes which were admittedly small and few.

Comment

We dont have much problem with fruit flies in Melbourne. But enough water could be a challenge [its raining as I type] but we do have about 2200lt of water storage at our house which is about half full.

Here is a photo of the normally grown tomato

Comment

And here is the coffee grown tomato

Comment

Reminds me of a friend of mine at Uni growing tomato plants he kept them in his room but the funny herbs kept sprouting up around them ;D Might be an interestinf effect with the left over Caffine infused

Comment

Id put some mulch around the base of both plants to cut down on evaporation MB.
                Make sure you use exactly the same kind of mulch on both. You can easily scrape the mulch away to apply more puckery to the soil around the shrubbery.
                Something to keep in mid. The caffeine in the coffee pucks may drive away the worms as I think caffeine acts as a vermicide. I would be interested if there is an effect. My tomato bush from last year was hit by nematode worms so I planted this years bush in a  container and crumbled some pucks around the top. The bush is doing very well.

Comment

Flynn_aus, I have put the spent coffee pucks in my worm farm and the earth worms seem to love it but Im not so shore about little pesky nematode worms. Also I have put some of those water saving crystals in and around the plants to save on water. As we are going away at the end of the week for Ten days so I hope thet hold up alright.

Comment

Gday martybean,and flynn_aus If you have nematode problems, plant some brassicas like broccoli around them or even radishes or mustard(a lot quicker to grow of course) the roots of the brassica exude a natural nematacide (saves using chemicals) btw Im a Biodynamic farmer, also for a good boost try adding a bit of crusher(basalt) dust to the soil , It is full of silica and trace elements , you can get it very cheaply from landscape supplies, Cheers Gaz

Comment

Hi All,
                      Do you know if you can use coffee pucks on your lawn?
                      Thx

Comment

Thanks for that Gaz I dont generally have a problems with nematodes but other people might so that info could be useful. We do however have a huge problem with these little beetles they are red orange and green. They dont seem to do much damage but they are everywhere.

Newbiesnob I dont know if they are any good on lawn. You could try a small patch and if it comes up greener you know it cant be to bad.

Comment

martybean if you can post a photo of the beetles I could probably identify them,at least let you know what they are for your own and my curiosity, any critters in large populations are interesting.re: the pucks on the lawn , yep try the sample patch first, Cheers Gaz

Comment

I will have to do that when we get back from holidays around the 18th.
                            Thanks.

Marty.

Comment

Worms love coffee pucks so if the plant grown in pucks attracts more worms they might help it along.

Comment

Working...
                              X