Who has a wood fire oven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has a wood fire oven?

Really want a woodfire oven at home...heard of some selling at Bunnings cheap, but made of cheap metal.
    Anyone made a brick oven or bought one??

Re: Who has a wood fire oven?

Yea I have had them in the past

Similar to how I built ours
    See this link for time lapse construction & Australian made

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=kBhpdvv5Ms8&feature=related

You can also get them in kit form here is just one of many different styles

http://clayworkswoodfiredovens.com.au/kit.htm

KK

Comment

Had one many years ago at home that my father and grandfather built with bricks.
      Big enough to roast a whole lamb in.

You should be able to search the net for a local that builds them rather than buy a kit.

Comment

kit doesnt look bad, especially if you did your own base.

I want one

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyb link=1228308729/0#3 date=1228388870
          kit doesnt look bad, especially if you did your own base.
          Without my father and grandfather around the kit looks like the next best thing.

Comment

thanks for the link...will give them a buzz

it seems for the ultimate pizza base, woodfire all the way.

Comment

how much for one of those clay ovens? They dont seem to have prices.

There is a Perth place - www.diypizzaovens.com.au

They have videos and kits with prices. Ive been deeply considering buying for some time now. Its just a pretty big investment over your own time (forgetting the cost involved). I saw the ovens built and running (diypizzaovens) at a country field day in WA earlier this year. They look the goods.

jprm

Comment

Gday all, a good mate of mine has a cob oven , built from a sand mould , and covered with cement/sand , and we have had some awesome pizza sessions in it,as far as kits go.. if any one lives around the Newcastle area , a local guy builds kits that are easy to assemble and look pretty good, made of lightweight refractory cement ( so it wont crack unless you do something really stoopid) you can check it here :http://robertoswoodfiredovens.com.au/
                if I can find a pic of the cob I will post it up  edit>> images attached

If you want a plan for a cob I have a copy of one here  http://users.comcen.com.au/~biodynam.../cob_oven2.pdf
                have fun , cheers from Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by jprm link=1228308729/0#6 date=1228402154
                  how much for one of those clay ovens? They dont seem to have prices.

There is a Perth place - www.diypizzaovens.com.au

They have videos and kits with prices. Ive been deeply considering buying for some time now. Its just a pretty big investment over your own time (forgetting the cost involved). I saw the ovens built and running (diypizzaovens) at a country field day in WA earlier this year. They look the goods.

jprm
                  I must admit that I wanna get a woody. Construction looks pretty easy & theyre big enough to cater for a backyard full of guests.

Comment

The price is about 1800 for the big one and 1500 for the little one, delivered, you still have to buy sand. Its on there website.

Comment

I gather the chef Russell Jeavons has a rather good book on wood ovens. I havent done more than glance at the book, but eating at his pizza place is a revelation.

Greg

Comment

When I was in San Francisco I saw several wood fire ovens. Visited some that were over 150years old. They say the older the oven the better it is. Most people that buy an oven forget to season it. They just start cooking start away. Before you start cooking, you have to get the oven use to heat.
                        Best oven I saw was one that cooked all their bread & pizza with heated bricks. They have only a small window to bake, so when they sell out of bread they cant bake anymore. The heated bricks hold the heat better than wood fire. So the bakery closed sometimes before 12pm. Amazing bread.

Comment

There are some really good books out there for making an oven from house bricks, relatively inexpensive and can be done by anyone with a bit of DIY ability. I am going to do it in the next couple of years in my backyard (when I get the outdoor area built) but to do that I have to save up a bit of dosh.

I have been playing with the idea of heating up the oven with large mirrors collecting the suns rays and directing them into the oven, but I will worry about that after I have set up the oven.

Comment

House bricks is what my father and grandfather used to build ours.

From memory they built a square structure and topped it off with a dome of bricks to form the oven space, followed by some form of extra insulation of the dome with earth or sand and the square sides built up to hold it all in.

It was about 40 years ago so I may not recall it all accurately.

Comment

I own one of these Japanese kamados. It works on the same or similar principle but its on wheels
                              However mine is red and have now owned it for about 20 years

It has just recently sustained some damage!  One crack down the side from top to bottom approximately 40 cm

The good thing is that the steel bracing is holding it together but its not ideal

If anybody has knowledge of a product that will act as a combination filler and glue like joiner I would like to know

It is made from a dark charcoal like (pepper&salt) ceramic material

KK

Comment

Working...
                              X