Coffee Snob Guitar Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee Snob Guitar Thread

flynn, there are quite a few fantastic sydney based luthiers that will make you a guitar to your exact specifications - but will cost you the same or less than a top shelp Maton, or Taylor etc - and will be a much better instrument. Check out the guitar site or send me a PM and Ill shoot you some info.

I have a headache - Im posting about coffee on a guitar site, and guitar on a coffee site. I think I need a beer (or maybe I need to post about coffee and guitar on a Beer forum :-/ )

Re: Its frustrating trying to educate people

Originally posted by Topher link=1229386809/0#6 date=1229394356
    flynn, there are quite a few fantastic sydney based luthiers that will make you a guitar to your exact specifications - but will cost you the same or less than a top shelp Maton, or Taylor etc - and will be a much better instrument.    Check out the guitar site or send me a PM and Ill shoot you some info.  
    I assume you mean Gronks guitar site. Yeah I had a look at Jim Williams and Gerard Gilet but I love the idea of a custom guitar.

Thanks for the offer Topher. When Im cashed up I will give you a hoy. Are you a luthier?

Comment

Nup - Im no luthier - the only thing I can make out of timber is splinters. I just know a few people who have gone down the custom guitar route.

Comment

As far as Aussie guitars go (esp acoustic), I guess Maton have a big head start. There are more Cole Clarks popping up all the time - very nice guitars, lovely acoustic tone. But I was playing with a guy with a CC on Sat night and when he went to plug in, the end plug-in assembly fell apart ;D. Simple fix, but its never happened with my Takamines!

Comment

Originally posted by flynn_aus link=1229386809/0#4 date=1229388136
          Modesty aside, you have well and truly crossed over to the Dark Side of the Force. Dont forget that at one stage you must have been as ignorant as those you are now complaining about.

Nice site BTW. Ill have to give it a good read through. Now Ive been buying up on coffee equipment, Ive given my poor wife some respite from hints about guitar purchases. I have my heart set on a Taylor (one day) but not sure if Coffee machine upgraditis will put paid to that dream. Ive only owned the Levetta for 3 months so Im trying to behave  :-X

Quick edit: For some reason I thought Taylor was an Aussie brand. I see Maton features quite heavily on your site with good reason but what is the most sought-after of the Aussies these days ?
          Continuing off-topic but…

I bought a Cole Clark acoustic guitar just over 12 months ago after a lot of research.  For the price it was easily the best quality construction and tone.

http://www.coleclarkguitars.com/index.asp

Comment

Coffee Snob Guitar Thread

OK, somebody had to do it, and it doesnt always have to be the Mods.

Continued from here

Thanks guys, Ill definitely check out the Cole Clarke.

There was a luthier I read about many years ago. Not sure if hes still going but I THINK he was based in Vic , he is/was a fairly old guy and I have a feeling his name started with A. Anyone have any idea what Im talking about (now, I mean, not all the time  :P)

Comment

Had a read through the thread and found it quite interesting to hear the views that are probably popular amongst the greater population.

Personally, I prefer to think that part of my role is to inform people, rather than educate.  What they then do with the information is entirely up to them, and often less frustrating for me!

Comment

Originally posted by cuppacoffee link=1229386809/0#11 date=1229398605
                Had a read through the thread and found it quite interesting to hear the views that are probably popular amongst the greater population.

Personally, I prefer to think that part of my role is to inform people, rather than educate.  What they then do with the information is entirely up to them, and often less frustrating for me!  
                "Inform" is probably a better choice of word than educate. Ill change the thread title.

Comment

Re: Coffee Snob Guitar Thread

Dollar for dollar I would recommend a Maton over a Cole Clark.

The Cole Cark is a "click together" kind of construction. Maton is more traditional. Some of the construction methods used by Cole Clark make me wonder how the guitar will be in 10 years time. Probably nothing will, I would just trust the Maton over the Clark (not the Maton custom shop though, I wont write about that!!!).

The Cole Clark will how ever be cheaper for the same type of guitar.
                  At the end of the day the difference in construction will probably amount to nothing. As you would with coffee, check everything out and get what you like, not what some else likes.

P.S. I can highly recommend a luthier who is in Melbourne. I got one made by him. Top quality. Got it made how I wanted (got a 49.5mm nut as opposed to the standard 44mm, giving me a wider neck).
                  But as someone pointed out in the other thread the price was about the same as Taylor.

Comment

Originally posted by bassway link=1229397800/0#1 date=1229401446
                    Dollar for dollar I would recommend a Maton over a Cole Clark.

The Cole Cark is a "click together" kind of construction. Maton is more traditional. Some of the construction methods used by Cole Clark make me wonder how the guitar will be in 10 years time. Probably nothing will, I would just trust the Maton over the Clark (not the Maton custom shop though, I wont write about that!!!).

The Cole Clark will how ever be cheaper for the same type of guitar.
                    At the end of the day the difference in construction will probably amount to nothing. As you would with coffee, check everything out and get what you like, not what some else likes.

P.S. I can highly recommend a luthier who is in Melbourne. I got one made by him. Top quality. Got it made how I wanted (got a 49.5mm nut as opposed to the standard 44mm, giving me a wider neck).
                    But as someone pointed out in the other thread the price was about the same as Taylor.
                    I think you need to start a new forum www.guitarsnobs.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ben_S link=1229397800/0#2 date=1229401519
                      I think you need to start a new forum www.guitarsnobs.com
                      That thought crossed my mind as I created this thread. Oh well, if the thread gets too busy we can always jump onto Gronks site.

Makes me wonder what the uncool guitar act that relates to drinking instant coffee is; being able to play Stairway to heaven or the Smoke on the Water riff.

I admit to both :-[

Comment

Can I say that I own an acoustic guitar
                        But cant play for quids

My guitar is a Fender F35 it is about 30 years old
                        I kept it just in-case the kids wanted to take it up (but no luck)

Still in new condition pity it gets no use
                        Have to wait for future grandkids or sell it?

KK

Comment

I dusted of my 6-string Ibanez acoustic after returning from two years of travel around Europe. While a little rusty at first it didnt take long to get back to my original form - which isnt anyhting special!

I should take lessons. I need someone to push me if Im going to improve.

Comment

Good to see musios that drink coffee. ;D

Most drink beer and smoke weed. >

Comment

Why should guitarists steal the limelight? Lets see if there are any drummers out there in coffeeland. For you guys with some rhythm, check out my reviews in Australian Musician (Im the electronic percussion reviewer): http://www.australianmusician.com.au/DisplayStory.asp?StoryID=249

Allan

Comment

Working...
                              X