It Problem - Need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Problem - Need

Had a shelf collapse and in the process my SC101 netgear storage drive suffered a hardware fault. Drives are OK but as the Netgear system uses a proprietary file format (YUCK - should have done better research), I can not access my data.

If any one in Brisbane or else where has a SC101 that I could us, so as to get my data off, I would be most great full.

AM

Re: It Problem - Need

try http://www2b.abc.net.au/science/techtalk/

Comment

Hi AM,

I have one in use at present with a single drive fitted. Only problem is it gets daily use for my shop. I actually got mine from ferralbay for under $100 (factory refurb) delivered from the US so that might be an option as well if you cant borrow a local one.

good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by beanflying link=1230342348/0#2 date=1230378107
        Hi AM,

I have one in use at present with a single drive fitted. Only problem is it gets daily use for my shop. I actually got mine from ferralbay for under $100 (factory refurb) delivered from the US so that might be an option as well if you cant borrow a local one.

good luck.
        Thanks ... Just be warned... If it dies then your data is going to be hard to get back...

Am obtaining a NEW NAS system that supports common file formats so that emergent recovery can be managed... In the mean time I have the OLD SC101 and teh 2 drives in storage...

Comment

Still doing backups of all the critical stuff to CDs every month (old habit)and storing a copy of my docs on one of the PCs just in case. But point taken about the data format.

Comment

Hmmm...

Wouldnt put too much stock in the reliability of Optical Media bean. I came unstuck in a big way a couple of years ago when I really needed that backup to work; unfortunately, the backup files couldnt be read because the media had deteriorated. It still allowed data to be written then verified but when it came to the crunch.... para nada

Mal.

Comment

Yep CDs and DVDs are good as portable and that about it.

Some files ie. pics can loose a few bits and still be OK.

Data - be it an Application / Database or otherwise is and can be totally useless once 1 bit has been lost...

It is a chemical process and thus subject to some many inputs that it is very hard to manage. Thus the reason I went to a NAS with Mirrored drives.. However I forgot to confirm that the format was able to be managed outside of that piece of hardware. OPPS poor fool me.

My new system will be a little better planned...

Comment

Working...
              X