No announcement yet.

CoffeeSnobs and BeanBay upgrade status.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CoffeeSnobs and BeanBay upgrade status.

Well I like the look the new CS interface - cleaner and clearer. I was going tp grizzle about how the recent posts has dropped from 15 to 10 but then noticed that RSS is now available.

FYI - from the Home page, click the RSS button. If your browser has a RSS reader (Firefox does) it will give you an option of subscribing and then you can easily view latest 10 posts from your Bookmarks menu. Try it out

Some nice new enhancements to User profile section and access to more smileys (though I suspect they were there before but I somehow missed  it.

The new message now has 10000 characters but I hope that doesnt lead to too many l-o-n-g posts.

Probably many more but Ill keep looking.  

[smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] <sorry, had to try out one of the new smileys.>

Thanks Andy!!

Steve

Re: CoffeeSnobs and BeanBay upgrade status.

Originally posted by 717B6E7979766264170 link=1231710080/0#0 date=1231710080
    Well I like the look the new CS interface - cleaner and clearer. I was going tp grizzle about how the recent posts has dropped from 15 to 10 but then noticed that RSS is now available.

FYI - from the Home page, click the RSS button. If your browser has a RSS reader (Firefox does) it will give you an option of subscribing and then you can easily view latest 10 posts from your Bookmarks menu. Try it out

Some nice new enhancements to User profile section and access to more smileys (though I suspect they were there before but I somehow missed  it.

The new message now has 10000 characters but I hope that doesnt lead to too many l-o-n-g posts.

Probably many more but Ill keep looking.  

[smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] <sorry, had to try out one of the new smileys.>

Thanks Andy!!

Steve

The RSS feed is excellent! - one more distraction for my working day.

Now all we need are some podcasts.

Comment

forget the look, its 100% faster and better in firefox

Comment

Well the forum was running slower than usual prior to the u/g. I see the Firefox login field position bug has been fixed

Andy or Mods. I see that you have an upgrade Bug reporting sticky but its inaccessible. Is this for Mods only? It has a Global Announcement folder icon but unaware whether this implies posting right restrictions

Theres also an Alert Mod button. Are there any rules governing use of this? Id like to think there is an intended purpose other than just a snitch button (sorry, that sounds pretty negative doesnt it?).

Comment

It was previously 20 recent posts Flynn.

A problem Ive noticed with my lisy of 10 recents posts is that 3 of them are from the same thread.
          It wasnt previously so.

Is there something I can change or is it a job for SuperAndy?

Comment

Looks Great!!!! *thumbs up*

Neater and more professional

Plus it greets me with Good Morning!!

Cant wait to see if it will greet me with Good Afternoon and Good Evening as the day goes on  ;D

The back to top makes it so much easier as well!!

Excellent work to everyone who was involved!

Comment

Yep, you are right, it was 20.

I couldnt see any options to customise the recent posts page and there wasnt any pre-upgrade either.

That would be the first thing I would add to the Bug report sticky. The last 1o shouldnt include more than one post per thread.

Comment

oooooooo aaaahhhhhh

Looks good, was in a bit of withdrawal at 7 this morning when I went to log on and it was down for the upgrade.

As much as Id like to remain positive because I do really like it, my one bug bear (and it has been for a while) is the recent post thing. I use this all the time and cutting it down further was a bit of a bummer. Other forums I belong to have a button that says "view posts since last visit" this type of thing would just be the bees knees for me as then I would know exactly what has been happening.

Dont want to dwell too much on it though so again -

ooooooooooo aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

Comment

Glad to see some good stuff is being found, there are miles of features all rolled-out at once which is a nightmare from here but long-term it will be good.

You can now have 5 attachments to a post (no more triple posting to get your images up)

Image uploads and attachments will be resized to 600 pixels wide and will keep the aspect ratio.

You can "Mark and Quote" a section of text from a user without having to quote the whole post and edit it (which is what I did below)

Originally posted by 454F5A4D4D425650230 link=1231710080/0#0 date=1231710080
                  I was going tp grizzle about how the recent posts has dropped from 15 to 10
                  We did have "recent threads", it was a really tricky/nasty code hack that I did to make it pull topics, not posts. The default (which is back) pulls the last 10 posts even if they are all in the same thread. Ill add it to my to do... sometime after sleep.

more smileys? Yep, are more can be easily added now.

new message now has 10000 characters... yep, made it bigger as sometimes a long story needs it. If it gets abused then Ill chop it back from there.

Originally posted by 353A3F616E6B580 link=1231710080/1#1 date=1231712548
                  The RSS feed is excellent! -
                  Ta. I wanted to get this up so that people can follow threads easily. It too has the potential to be abused so if there is a ton of extra traffic we might throttle it back a bit. Initialy its pretty fat though.

Originally posted by 32313535213A580 link=1231710080/2#2 date=1231712874
                  forget the look, its 100% faster and better in firefox
                  Yep. Mostly due to the fact that I installed the compression library with this. The backend perl script on the website will compress pages for most modern browsers so you are only downloding a tiny binary and your browser is expanding it. Sort of like doubling your DSL for free.

Originally posted by 3E34213636392D2B580 link=1231710080/3#3 date=1231713705
                  upgrade Bug reporting sticky but its inaccessible
                  Turns out the announcment that I posted can only be replied to by me. Hmmm... nice of me to reuest bug reports in a thread that no one could post into... sortta like Telstra support transfering you to a dial tone.

We will use this thread for feedback... good, bad, whatever.

Originally posted by 3E34213636392D2B580 link=1231710080/3#3 date=1231713705
                  Theres also an Alert Mod button. Are there any rules governing use of this? Id like to think there is an intended purpose other than just a snitch button
                  Why does everyone want rules?

The snitch button is so that you can easily alert me to a thread. There is an assumption that I read every post when its posted 24 hours a day. Its not too far off the truth but sometimes I just stumble across a line in a post that says "hey Andy..." and it might be a month old when I see it.

Originally posted by 0C302D363C3D2A3F373C580 link=1231710080/4#4 date=1231714599
                  Is there something I can change or is it a job for SuperAndy?
                  It falls on my plate, assuming I can find it in the perl code and I dont break stuff. I have a test version that Ill edit the code on.

Originally posted by 1737363F39580 link=1231710080/5#5 date=1231715386
                  Excellent work to everyone who was involved!
                  8-)

Originally posted by 0338313E3E3F3E500 link=1231710080/7#7 date=1231716520
                  "view posts since last visit"
                  Hmmm... I dont think that will happen. Other forums prob have less activity. The server would cop a hiding on a forum like this and did you really want to read every single post?
                  Currently you get a star on unread topics and [new] against all the posts you havnt read. Its far easier to skim the subject lines in the sections that interest you than to pull 300 posts that you didnt want to read.

Comment

In the first instance... Looks great and appears to be faster...

Now to reconfigure a few settings..

1: RSS feeds includes  your private e-mail address !!!
                    2: Google home page now has the 10 most recent posts...  This could be bad for me  
                    3: Notifications  
                    4:  RSS for Outlook had to be a manual set up - Does 50 posts
                    5:  Forum appears to allow only 10

Only addition I would like is a quick option to Thank someone

UPDATE:  People need to edit their Sig and get rid of the extra code... &&&

Comment

Looks great Andy - and I love the RSS feed.

Grant

Comment

Originally posted by 604F4558210 link=1231710080/8#8 date=1231717114
                        did you really want to read every single post?
                        Gut reaction was "yes", but I do skip some...occasionally.
                        Lets see how it all works out.

(Just tested Mark & Quote)

P.S. Live Preview is great.

Comment

Interesting...

Not sure if its due to something Andy has done, or if its due to privacy settings, but a few minutes ago, the email publication has stopped in the RSS feed.

Before, if you looked at the page source, you would see and <author> tag like this:

<author>mal..... (Mal)</author>

But the last few posts dont have that now.  Good thing.

I think the ideal solution would be for there to be a published author tag but without the email address.

Oh, new bug - carriage returns in signature seem to be broken as part of the upgrade.  Ill try editing my profile to see if that fixes it.

===edited out Mals email address from public post===

Comment

Originally posted by 3B303C273423510 link=1231710080/13#13 date=1231719228
                            Oh, new bug - carriage returns in signature seem to be broken as part of the upgrade.Ill try editing my profile to see if that fixes it.  
                            That seems to either have been a change in YaBBs handling of signature carriage returns, or a bug in migration code.

Old carriage returns were showing up as &&, however, after manually editing of my profile, its working.

EDIT: looks like Im not the only one to have discovered this.

Comment

A post does not seem to show whether it has been edited anymore either. (or by whom).

Is this a bug or a feature thats been twiddled? :-X

Comment

Working...
                              X