computer help! Hibernation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer help! Hibernation

I cant figure out why after restarting my computer, it will hibernate as I want (after 15 minutes), but if I start the computer, then open and close outlook, it will no longer hibernate until I have restarted the computer. Any ideas how to fix this?

My bigger problem is that I use the computer to auto-startup and record TV, and I want the computer to close down afterwards, but it wont hibernate.

It used to do all this fine, but after reinstalling everything a few months ago, it has not worked right.

Re: computer help! Hibernation

Ahhh, the joys of Windows..... >

Sorry mate, cant help but can certainly empathise with your situation,

Mal.

Comment

You dont want to know how long I have spent fiddling with settings trying to get this working!

Comment

Originally posted by 26232F2B232C73420 link=1232614889/2#2 date=1232617304
        You dont want to know how long I have spent fiddling with settings trying to get this working!
        Where are you based ???

Would suggest that if you have been playing for some time now... That trying to give advise by Mail is going to be less than productive...

PM a contact number...

However, my first recommendation would to be not use hibernation...

Secondly Check all ya tasks that are running and then run outlook and see what new ones are running... Then close and check again... It could be some process or service that is remaining and thus will not allow your system to behave as expected...

1: Which Outlook ?

2: Auto-startup and record TV - Do it via scheduler...

3: When it is set to happen and it does not... What is in the Event logs..

Comment

Hi, in melbourne.  I suppose I was hoping that someone who knew more about computers than me (which wouldnt be hard) would be able to easily help, but if it is too complex a problem I will just live with it.

Not using hibernation - Is there another way I can get my computer to turn off automatically without using hibernation?

1.  outlook 2003

2.  ok, can you use scheduler to shut down computer?  I was actually looking at this today thinking it may be an option, but as far as I could tell it was for running applications.

3.  I didnt know an event log existed - maybe that will help me, I will explore this tomorrow, and see if it helps me figure out what is going on.

Thanks,

Damian.

Comment

Right Click My Computer and select manage...

Then have a look at the event viewer...

May be worth while clearing them before starting as LOTS could be generated..

Note: There are a couple listed (depending on setup could be a few) and you will need to look at all.

Comment

I agree with AM. The hibernation function can be flaky.

Originally posted by 595C50545C530C3D0 link=1232614889/4#4 date=1232621306
              Not using hibernation - Is there another way I can get my computer to turn off automatically without using hibernation?
              Try Standby instead (under Power options in Control Panel).

Comment

Would it be something simple like when you close outlook it stays running in the background doing its send / receive cycle every 15 mins, waking the pc out of hibernation to do it

something like your network card settings allow this device to take pc out of standby in system properties?

or just the outlook auto send receive setting?

Comment

I am having a similar problem
                  Computer wont hibernate

It has been doing this for about 3 weeks now

Everything is set at time intervals in power management

The screen will close but wont hibernate

I wonder if it was the last update?? that did something

KK

Comment

Go to  the  Start and then Run option and  enter  the txt between the brackets... < cmd >,  enter and then < powercfg -a >  enter

You should see a list of 3 sleep states that are available...

You can then go to the Bios (Re boot and make  a change) if the mode or modes required are not available...

If one or more is, then check you event viewer for errors

1: Check your bios for Wake on Lan setting

2: XP or Vista ?   What SP ?

3: What Power settings "High Performance"  OR "Balanced"

4: How much RAM... There  is a known bug and hot fix if you have more than 2 gig mem.

Comment

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
                      (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:/\/Documents and Settings>powercfg-a
                      powercfg-a is not recognized as an internal or external command,
                      operable program or batch file.
                      C:/\/Documents and Settings>

Sorry AM
                      This what I get see above

Can I do something in safe mode
                      I am more comfortable with the safe mode approach

KK

Comment

Select <Start> then <Run> and then type in <cmd> and then copy and paste < powercfg -a > and enter...

Note: There is a single SPACE between <powercfg> and the <-a>

Syntax and commands get very particular...

Comment

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
                          (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:/\/Documents and Settings>powercfg -a
                          The following sleep states are available on this system: Standby ( S3 ) Hibernat
                          e
                          The following sleep states are not available on this system:
                          Standby (S1)
                          Standby (S2)

C:/\/Documents and Settings>

This is the new info above
                          P.S it is a Asus Laptop

AM how do I access the BIOS to make changes is there a command code as I can only see F8 safe mode available on start

KK

Comment

Yeah thats the same as what my Toshiba allows.

Depending on your BIOS, you usually have to press the DEL or F2 key. The instruction usually appears at the bottom of the very first screen that appears when you switch your lappy on.

Comment

Originally posted by 7B716473737C686E1D0 link=1232614889/13#13 date=1232671995
                              Yeah thats the same as what my Toshiba allows.

Depending on your BIOS, you usually have to press the DEL or F2 key. The instruction usually appears at the bottom of the very first screen that appears when you switch your lappy on.
                              I dont have that option only F8
                              I will however try all the F buttons & Delete button to see what they do?
                              KK

Comment

Working...
                              X