X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raw Diet for Pet Dogs & Cats

I have just this week picked up our new Irish Terrier puppy
    I have made the decision to feed it a raw food diet
    Ones available to me are "Meal for Pets or BARF" (Bio Approved Raw Food)

BARF
    http://www.barfaustralia.com/distributors.php?pid=1
    Meal for pets
    http://www.petcafe.com.au/mealforpets1.html

Our last dog was on a mixture of commercial dry & wet food during the early part of his life
    However he developed some medical problems

That prompted me to cook him our own blend of foods along with some raw meats
    His health improved after switching the diet and he recently passed away at the age of 14 years

I really dont want to cook the new dogs meals as its not so cost effective when I can get ready made Raw foods such as Meal for Pets or BARF

Can I ask CS members your opinions on this and if you are using these pet food products

Also are there any reputable dog/puppy training clubs in the inner city Southern Brisbane that charge a small membership fee and then pay a small charge per training session
    But are conducted in daylight hours or a weekend

Many thanks
    KK

Re: Raw Diet for Pet Dogs & Cats

Congrats on the new puppy! I have a siberian husky (my photo here is of him as a puppy - hes now nearly 4 years). His diet is raw kangaroo meat and a good quality dry food (we use science diet). We have found it to be a great diet for him. He loves his kangaroo meat.

I am not familiar with the products you mention but I am keen on feeding dogs plenty of raw food - makes more sense to me. I dont recall ever seeing a wolf with a frypan over a fire...just my thoughts.

Definitely take it to school. Dont know Brisbane but most schools down here will give you the first lesson free with no obligation so you can check out a few and pick what suits.

Comment

Hi KK,

Awesome, a new puppy is always a great way to inject some fun into your life.

Personally - we are not looking to cook any meat for our dogs, as it tends to lock out the nutrients available to them.

We generally feed a good quality kibble (proplan) with one other ingredient mixed in each night to add variety  i.e. yogurt, raw egg, sardines (in spring water), chicken mince, etc. And they get bones 2 or 3 times a week in the morning.

I think a puppy absolutely needs a good diet. I would make sure that what ever you decide on is a well balanced diet with all the nutrients available to the pup.

There are some Holistic kibbles that lend themselves to a natural diet - maybe worth looking at.

Our dogs are show dogs - that also do Herding and Obedience - so we need good coat and shine to show and stamina to perform - diet is everything to us!

As for clubs - maybe check out http://www.cccq.org.au/ and give them a call.

Cheers,
      Col.

Comment

I know a company in the U.S also named BARF made a blend of cow stomach. Some green, brown and cleaner stomach. Horse hoof stuffed with stomach is meant to be a dog winner.

Comment

It slipped my mind but here is a photo of the little scamp named Leo (short for Leonardo) 7 weeks old
          Breed Irish Terrier

Thanks Pav & Col you both have awesome dogs
          I am leaning towards the Raw food diet with a little of my own home cooked mixes for variety

We generally feed a good quality kibble (proplan) with one other ingredient mixed in each night to add variety i.e. yoghurt, raw egg, sardines (in spring water), chicken mince, etc. And they get bones 2 or 3 times a week in the morning.
          Funny you feed your dogs sardines as we fed the last dog sardines and also fish oil capsules also yoghurt with rice
          Result a beautiful shiny coat and a longer life

I will have to look into chicken mince, roo meat, and holistic kibble
          They say chicken mince is best for dogs as it contains more calcium

Originally posted by 1A353F22175B0 link=1233461365/3#3 date=1233481697
          I know a company in the U.S also named BARF made a blend of cow stomach. Some green, brown and cleaner stomach. Horse hoof stuffed with stomach is meant to be a dog winner.
          YUK YUK YUK

Now I have to convince the family that he is a dog and not a baby as they think I am mean when I discipline him for naughty behaviour
          I dont discipline him roughly Just as his own mother would do it and with lots of praise when he settles

KK

Comment

Beautiful pup.

Yes, must convince family so as not to have a monster or idiot of a dog in the end. Try pitching it to them that the pup needs the pack behaviour to feel secure.

I have also been using egg and yoghurt intermittently as you guys have. Tried the sardines in springwater but he wont eat it (which surprised me greatly at the time). And, of course, every dogs favourite the raw bone.

Comment

Hi,
              Have you tried Eukanuba & chicken necks? We had great success with the mix when we had Rottis. Also, some breeders recommend feeding kelp too?

Comment

Thanks newb

In a little while at 12 weeks I will start him on chicken necks and or wings also brisket bones

Spotted another dog food product developed in 1973 by a greyhound trainer

Scottys premium pet foods
                They use human consumption meat add some vegetables steam cook it and package it in a 2 kg sausage tube

http://www.scottys.com.au/products.html

KK

Comment

There is this one......located at The Gap.

http://www.completepet.com.au/

Our pig third child never leaves any behind!

Comment

Originally posted by 5D656461406C6E0D0 link=1233461365/8#8 date=1234400233
                    There is this one......located at The Gap.

http://www.completepet.com.au/

Our pig third child never leaves any behind!
                    Looks like a happy puppy dog PhilMac

I am lazy and the Gap is to far for me
                    I am going to try Scottys from our butcher not far from home

I have tried Leo our pup on the Meal for Pets and because it is so finely minced its more like glue. He doesnt like it to much

KK

Comment

Hi KK have you read Dr Ian Billinghurst book give your dog a bone? I ask this because my wife and I used to breed and show cavalier king charles spaniels, at one stage we had 10 dogs and pups.
                      We used the diet in the book and had mixed results. It basicly goes back to a dogs origins of being a pack animal and how the first thing a dog will eat is the stomach of the animal because it contains vegetables.
                      He also recommends fasting the dog for a day and feeding starchy foods like rice.
                      At the time of printing I asked my Vet about the book. He had read it, and said you could shoot it down in flames but he had some intresting ideas.
                      We now have 2 retired Cavaliers 12 and 13yrs and 1 crazy Japanese Spitz 3yrs and I feed them EcoPet roll only in the chicken varieties and Kangaroo which also contains chicken and Eukanuba dry food

Comment

Originally posted by 2E2231373A2126222D430 link=1233461365/10#10 date=1234501778
                        Hi KK have you read Dr Ian Billinghurst book give your dog a bone?
                        No just went and read a lot of info on his web site

Wow thats great information from an ex breeder Marty
                        Scottys is similar to ecopet roll
                        The cooked rolls are probably safer in the home kitchen.
                        One slip up with raw food and the whole family is sick
                        Marty can you have a look at Scottys range and tell me if its similar

http://www.scottys.com.au/products.html

KK

Comment

KK, it looks very similiar to the Ecopet. The key with rolls I think is they are better if the roll is hard and compact, thats why I use the chicken based products from Ecopet.
                          The lamb and beef rolls dont come out the other end to well and they are much softer. You will find as we did if you feed them raw meaty products it will come out as it goes in.
                          I think any good Vet would tell you to look at your dogs droppings if they are easy to clean up then you are probably doing a good job if they are smelly and runny [sorry but just cant think of another word] then your dog probably isnt getting the best diet or it has an upset stomach.
                          I would recommend the use of a kelp powder for a good coat and raw chicken necks and frames but be carefull as I had to get a dogs bowel cleaned out because she swallowed the necks whole and they set like concrete.
                          Goodluck with the new puppy terriers never grow up

Comment

Originally posted by 3E3221272A3136323D530 link=1233461365/12#12 date=1234505007
                            Goodluck with the new puppy terriers never grow up
                            Yep we know
                            This our third Irish Terrier I dont know what it is about this breed but we love them they even smile when they are cheeky

I am already starting his family member training in case he gets out of hand
                            Puppy school soon and at about 4-5 months proper training
                            However it takes longer to train terriers

KK

Comment

It sure does we had them as kids. I think it takes longer to train spitz breeds. Some people say they are stupid but they are very intelligent theyre no Kelpie but they are extremely loyal, as are Terriers

Comment

Working...
                              X