• Show
Clear All

• PC Linux OS & Ubuntu OS

I want to try a Linux OS

I like the look of these systems so far
    Ubuntu, PC Linux, Freespire
    Does anybody know of other OS (free)

They must be good for a novice and work like a windows or apple OS

So far I have tried Ubuntu on live CD (without install)

1) Ideally I would prefer to run a Linux based OS on a dedicated external 200+ gig USB hard drive so no partition of the windows hard drive is required
    2) Have Hibernate feature and laptop power management

My Laptop Bios is already set to start with an external hard drive

Penny for your thoughts ?? from the CS Linux community

I am looking forward to a lively & informative discussion

Many thanks
    KK

Re: PC Linux OS & Ubuntu OS

I use Linux Mint on all three of my computers. Its based on the latest Ubuntu but is probably more like Windows to use. I find it very simple to use and is great for standard things like internet (Firefox), email (Thunderbird) and office type things (OpenOffice by Sun). If you want to run windows games and other apps there is Wine (this stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator, but basically it is, pretty much!), which will let you run them directly under Linux. I have not used this, I just dual boot XP or Vista, which is easy to set up when you install Mint, and run these when I need to do things that I cant do in Linux. So far this extends to my usb TV tuner but if I was still doing computer geology, I would need to switch back to Windows for some of the apps I needed for that. Also includes an automatic update greebly to keep your software up to date, that I actually trust, unlike the one MS runs.

Two of the computers are notebooks. I dont usually hibernate them but the power handling is OK. Similar to windows. Suspend and hibernate are two of the options when shutting down, Ive just never bothered.

Networking the three computers and getting printers shared was probably as easy or as hard as in windows. It is working fine now and there is lots of good help on the net because basically it is the same as Ubuntu.

Pity you werent in Vic, we could have a coffee and I would show you my computers  

Comment

I use Kubuntu at present which uses the KDE environment rather than Gnome (different graphical user interfaces). Ubuntu is certainly up there with the best for the Windows user wanting to stick their toe into the Linux waters.

Ive also tried Mandriva and Red Hat. Mandriva (2008) was a little buggy and Red Hat is more for the corporate user than the home user. Probably avoid the hard core versions such as Slackware or Debian which require a fair bit of Linux/Unix experience.

Theres a plethora of free Linux distros (distributions) out there. You need to do some research to see which distro would suit your purpose. Try this website for some good info http://distrowatch.com/.

Theres also another Linux thread I started on CS around August last year.

Comment

I use Kubuntu also, recommended to me by JavaB a couple of years ago and havent looked back. An excellent and super reliable o/s, something that Windows strives to be but falls short.... Also use a Multiboot system too as some of the things I need to do wont run properly under Wine so need to have Windows available otherwise it would be Linux full time...

Mal.

Comment

> I want to try a Linux OS
          > Does anybody know of other OS (free)
          > So far I have tried Ubuntu on live CD (without install)

"Ubuntu" is based on "Debian unstable" (I use "Debian stable").  Ubuntu does a very basic Debian install and assumes that you have access to broadband in order to supply the Debian packages that *you* want and that were not on the Ubuntu disk. As background, "Debian unstable" uses all the latest versions of the Debian programs; "Debian stable" is fully debugged and about 2 years out-of-date.

> They must be good for a novice and work like a windows or apple OS
          Linux has become very much easier to *install* since I started to use it (1999!). But the approach is different.  A learning curve still exists.

>1) Ideally I would prefer to run a Linux based OS on a dedicated external 200+ gig USB hard drive so no partition of the windows hard drive is required
          My version of the Debian OS needs about 5 GB; it sits on an 80 GB HD and there is room for another 14GB of personal files on the existing Debian partition.  Creating and accessing additional storage space is easy in Linux.

> 2) Have Hibernate feature and laptop power management
          Included in "Debian"; I dont know if it is on the Ubuntu disk.  Look for features offered by screensavers (xscreensaver, kscreensaver or gnome-screensaver).

> Penny for your thoughts ?? from the CS Linux community
          If you are in a hurry and have access to broadband, stick with Ubuntu; even at its worst, it is not as buggy as the products that used to be supplied by a more widely used OS.  If you want to be certain that you *never* score an OS-caused crash, use the stable version of Debian (the latest stable version - called "Lenny"  - has just need released).

In my opinion, a better approach is to do a Google search for a "Linux User Group" in your area; to the best of my knowledge, there is one in every Australian Capital City.  They usually have monthly meetings.  Th eofficial topics discussed at the meetings tend to be highly technical; but there is usually time set aside for Linux Newbies to put their hands up and ask for help.  <If|when> you have found one in your area, send them an email and find out what is on offer.

Felix

Comment

I have just recently installed Ubuntu on my Apple iMac. Dead easy install. Just an experiment so far. Have not yet decided whether I shall use it full time. Need to play around with it some more. I did not install from a disc, downloaded it from my ISP [Internode]s free mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by 446069696A6A5044607C62600F0 link=1234880982/0#0 date=1234880982
              2) Have Hibernate feature and laptop power management
              Just a comment on this: while most recent distros should do power management (including hibernate and sleep) this can often be one of the most difficult things to get working properly on a laptop. The reasons is that manufacturers often dont implement the ACPI standards properly (just well enough so that they work in Windows), and so these features will be broken in Linux. While this then looks like a problem with Linux, its actually better thought of as a hardware issue. Consequently, this feature may well depend on which make and model laptop youre using.
              One other thing - Ive never run an OS (linux or Windows) from an external USB connected HDD. I wonder whether there might be problems using power saving modes like hibernate with an external drive? I dont know the answer to this, maybe someone else knows?

Comment

Thanks for your replies so far

I am just waiting for the finished version 2009 of PC Linux to become available
                http://www.pclinuxos.com/

I will try both Ubuntu and PC Linux on Live CD and choose the one I like best

Felix I will look into Lenny
                KK

Comment

I am running ubunto studio edition on my older box .. it comes with tons of audio recording software for free .. havent had much time to play with it yet though .. but it runs brilliantly on a 2.8 ghz celeron .. thats what I love about linux.

Comment

Originally posted by 4F6C656071090 link=1234880982/4#4 date=1234988208
                    "Ubuntu" is based on "Debian unstable" (I use "Debian stable").  Ubuntu does a very basic Debian install and assumes that you have access to broadband in order to supply the Debian packages that *you* want and that were not on the Ubuntu disk. As background, "Debian unstable" uses all the latest versions of the Debian programs; "Debian stable" is fully debugged and about 2 years out-of-date.
                    With (K)Ubuntu though, you do have the option of going with a Long Term Support(LTS) version that doesnt use the latest "bleeding edge" updates. This is the one I use (8.04 LTS) and it is as stable as Eyres Rock... Used the earlier version 6.06 LTS until this one came along and I have nothing but praise for either of them,

Mal.

Comment

The Elyssa version of Mint is based on the Ubuntu 8.04 LTS release as well. This is the one I use on all three of my computers and I agree it is rock solid.

Comment

Hi Koffee Kosmo,

Thought I would chime in, I dont post enough on this site.

I have ubuntu 8.10 Ibex running on an externerl hard drive.  There are tutorials out there to do it.  The main thing you have to watch out for is that it might put the boot loader (GRUB) on your main hard drive.  If this isnt your intention it could be a problem.  I didnt bother with messing around and going through the tutorials to install on the external hard drive.  I just unplugged the laptop hard drive and did the install as normal.  The great thing about my dell laptop is you can change the boot drive by pressing f11 without having to go into the bios so it works similar to multi-boot.  

Also note that you wont get as good performance on an external hard drive with usb because of the interface speed, but if you have an esata drive it should be as good as the installed one.

If you are going to go with ubuntu there are many packages which you will need to install to make it work nice (in my opinion)  Some of these include mp3 codecs, windows fonts, adobe reader, flash etc.  There is a fantastic step by step on doing this located at http://howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-ubuntu-8.10.

I am also not a big fan of the stock ubuntu theme, but it is very easy to modify.  Other programs that I love to use on desktop installs are gnome-do, amarok and if you want to play with all the great graphics like desktop cube etc you will need to install the package compiz-configuration-manager.

Just my two cents, hope its helpful.

BTW  as previously mentioned, check out mint.  It is a great package for someone new to linux wishing to dip there toes in, and you can use all the ubuntu packages.

Comment

What about opensuse? or suse linux enterprise desktop?

opensuse has a livecd as well so you can try before installing

Comment

Dont know that having "Grub" installed on your primary HDD is such a bad thing. As a multiboot utility, its one of the better ones and very easy to maintain/modify....

Mal.

Comment

Oh sure Mal,

But if he wants to keep it totally separate to play around and trail the system, then it is possible to set it up easily without grub.

Basically thats why I did it that way. I set it up for demonstration purposes to show what is possible at my work and I didnt want grub installed. I personally wouldnt run a desktop over usb anyway. Its just to slow no matter what the OS.

J

Comment

Working...
                              X