Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Venting..... Of a much more general nature.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venting..... Of a much more general nature.

Its a bit sad, but honestly I think there should be a larger push for vegetarian / dairy / egg / gluten free type labeling. Maybe gluten free is a bit of a stretch, but still...

Re: Venting..... Of a much more general nature.

Originally posted by 3C25222B393F2D214C0 link=1210652095/285#285 date=1244156943
    Maybe gluten free is a bit of a stretch
    Why leave that out? Im required to keep a list of ingredients for anything served at the shop. Its there is people want to see it.

Perhaps if manufacturers stopped putting wheat in just about everything we eat, there may one day be a reversal of what seems to me to be an increasing population who suffer an intolerance reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by 7E6760697B7D6F630E0 link=1210652095/285#285 date=1244156943
      Its a bit sad, but honestly I think there should be a larger push for vegetarian / dairy / egg / gluten free type labeling. Maybe gluten free is a bit of a stretch, but still...
      X2

Used to be vegan. Now sometimes eat a little meat. Sometimes a little cheese.
      Generally diary makes me feel sick. Animal fat makes me queasy and leaves a horrible texture on my tongue. A lot of food I smell and taste and think "I like that, I dont like that, that smells good but it will make me sick" Probably the only food that I would say is wrong is milk. It smells like baby puke. I wouldnt say the texture in the mouth is disgusting I would discribe it as wrong. But in this site it is gold.

If I saw a menu stating Tomato and Onion pie I would expect it NOT to have meat. I would expect an Apple pie NOT to have meat. Why should a pie have meat? Wouldnt a pie with meat be called a meat pie?

I sorry but this really pisses me off. I find the view that food has to have some type of animal product in it really arrogant. When I see Curry pie I have to ask if it has meat? Whats wrong with Curried meat pie? If it has no meat: Curried Vegie pie. Simple.
      At the top of your menu put (Veg = Vegetarian) (V = Vegan), then the symbols next to the food. EASY!

AAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! >

Comment

^^^ Im all for good labelling, to help a customer choose appropriate to their tastes and dietary needs, but I think your point is a bit flawed there!

1stly: Apple pie is a different beast - no one expects meat in a dessert pie, but in a savoury pie, unless it states Vego, I wouldnt just assume. It takes 2 seconds to ask.

Bassway, youre saying that if it says "tomato and onion" you assume no meat, but then go on to say label it better. Many people might be just as disappointed to get a tom and onion pie with no meat in it - clearer labelling would be the way to go, but assumptions either way leads to dissatisfaction and is readily fixed by just asking.

It comes back to the old problem of are we in the customer service industry or the psychic happiness detection business?

Any decent place, if you tell them "I want low salt/no meat/ sugar free/ gluten free/ handwashed by monks" will give you options that they offer that fit those needs. With the great array of variations now available to people, its just as arrogant to assume that your particular concern is going to be tailored to on first glance, on every item, in every shop.

Its not like nobody makes vego pies - ask for it, and if it isnt offered go where it is.

Comment

Originally posted by 11303B3B3C26550 link=1210652095/286#286 date=1244158696
          Perhaps if manufacturers stopped putting wheat in just about everything we eat, there may one day be a reversal of what seems to me to be an increasing population who suffer an intolerance reaction.
          Sheesh. We have solicitors carry out conveyancy for contracts. The way things are going, theyll be required managing lunch orders >

Comment

It comes back to the old problem of are we in the customer service industry or the psychic happiness detection business?
            Here here! Its a simple process of ask the question!

Ive had a peanut allergy all my life (potentially fatal, not pretty). Easy to deal with though, it means you ask if something has peanuts in it! Nothing revolutionary there!

"Assumption" very dangerous beast!

Comment

Originally posted by 565E57525852544E483B0 link=1210652095/288#288 date=1244162972
              1stly: Apple pie is a different beast - no one expects meat in a dessert pie, but in a savoury pie, unless it states Vego, I wouldnt just assume. It takes 2 seconds to ask.
              That was in reference to "Um...yes..." I replied. "Its a pie." I was beginning to wonder what he thought was in a curry pie but didnt bother to ask...

Originally posted by 565E57525852544E483B0 link=1210652095/288#288 date=1244162972
              Bassway, youre saying that if it says "tomato and onion" you assume no meat, but then go on to say label it better. Many people might be just as disappointed to get a tom and onion pie with no meat in it - clearer labelling would be the way to go, but assumptions either way leads to dissatisfaction and is readily fixed by just asking.
              Meat, tomato and onion pie. Easy.
              One of the bakeries that I drive pass every day can do it.
              They do;
              Beef, tomato and onion pie.
              Beef and mushroom pie.
              Chicken, cheese and vegetable pie.
              Mushroom pie.

Guess what? The mushroom pie has no meat. The Beef and mushroom pie does. Easy.
              Why does a savoury have to have meat?
              This is what I am getting at.

Oh a customer asked for a Tomato and Onion pie. He almost spat it out. He said it has meat in it. I say its a pie. Ha ha ha.

Sorry but that just isnt funny. >

Comment

^^^ Thats nice of that store to do that.
                Other stores may or may not.

But you are in control of one thing: whether or not you ask.

Not every savoury thing has to have meat in it, but it doesnt hurt to ask, if you dont want to have a meat savoury dish.

Comment

Originally posted by 5754464642544C350 link=1210652095/291#291 date=1244165268
                  Guess what? The mushroom pie has no meat.
                  What does it have in the pastry?
                  What do they use as a gravy?
                  Are the mushrooms certified organic?
                  Have the utensils and cooking gear being used been in contact with any meat products?

In AU pies have tradititionally contained meat. I dont know why you expect everything to be listed. If you really need that then the safest thing to do is not to eat out, or just ask for a vegetarian pie and pray they respect your wishes.

Or better yet, get a sausage roll. Im pretty sure they only contain sawdust. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 0B2A2121263C4F0 link=1210652095/293#293 date=1244170489

Or better yet, get a sausage roll.  Im pretty sure they only contain sawdust.  ;D
                    Now thats funny. ;D

I suppose I do have to realise that I live in a redneck christain country that believe food needs to bleed out to be called food.

Comment

Originally posted by 72716363677169100 link=1210652095/294#294 date=1244170758

Now thats funny. ;D

I suppose I do have to realise that I live in a redneck christain country that believe food needs to bleed out to be called food.

Ummm,

That would be a Jewish thing, not a Christian one.....

Comment

Originally posted by 2023313135233B420 link=1210652095/294#294 date=1244170758
                        I suppose I do have to realise that I live in a redneck christain Country that believe food needs to bleed out to be called food.  
                        Not sure what religion has to do with it.

But for pure taste alone you cannot go past meat (steak in particular) that is cook rare, it just bursts with flavour, if you dont like it or choose not to eat meat then thats your choice in life.
                        Sorry to sound harsh but do the majority have to go out of their way to accomodate the minority. Just did a google and being generous i would think the % of population that are vegan or vegitarian wouldnt be more than 10%.

I agree as already stated
                        Originally posted by 2F272E2B212B2D3731420 link=1210652095/292#292 date=1244166811
                        But you are in control of one thing: whether or not you ask.
                        so why put that responsibilty onto someone else!

Comment

Originally posted by 2023313135233B420 link=1210652095/294#294 date=1244170758
                          Maybe you should watch a lamb commercial by Sam Kekovich!

I think he speaks for us in the majority!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 7576646460766E170 link=1210652095/287#287 date=1244159858
                            Used to be vegan. Now sometimes eat a little meat. Sometimes a little cheese.
                            Why?

Oh, and when you say Vegan, that would mean you excluded the use of animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose...right?

Comment

Ducking for cover...Im one of those tree hugging bloody hippies (lactose vegetarian). I dont mind needing to ask and ensure those serving me know what exactly I am asking for (and being the society we are assuming EVERYTHING has meat in it)...but what really p*sses me off is when people lie about it either thinking it is funny or in an attempt to get a sale anyway when they know you will walk if they tell you the truth >. I will gladly speak highly of an establishment that states I am sorry but we cannot cater for that. I will forever dish any establishment that lies to me or picks meat out of a dish and then serves it to me.

Oh, and we can taste it. When you havent eaten meat for a while it takes on an odour that is very distinguishable even in minute quantities. Sort of like dead flesh...funny that.

Please dont attack the hippy too much. I am not political about it, and dont care what you eat. But dont lie about what you serve me.

Comment

Working...
                              X