Best GPS in Car Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best GPS in Car Unit

Ive been using a Garmin 760 which I find not too bad - slow to acquire satellites, no enhanced lane guidance, no over speed-alerts and some confusing voice directions.

Im interested in the new Navman MY series, particularly the MY500XT which comes with built in lifetime traffic updates  

I understand Navman uses Navteq maps as opposed to Whereis, its supposed to be better  :

Has anyone tested Navman against Garmin?

Love to hear any comparisons  

Re: Best GPS in Car Unit

I use a Tom Tom and have been happy with it.
    My son uses Tom Tom on his phone and hes happy too.

It has over-speed alerts, some lane guidance (that I can tell), voice directions are not confusing.

I can also edit POIs (best one is red light and speed cameras) and install map overlays, do my own voice overs, all fun.

Comment

Thanks Thundergod.

The Tom Tom is up there with the best of em and gets a lot of good reviews.

Comment

I vote for tomtom as well, ive only got the One though

the new 720s have tha traffic alert built in as well I believe, the map share is a nice feature for user contributed updates, as well as the safety camera option too

only thing I find a bit weird is you need to know the suburb that the address is in, and the suburbs can be a bit strange compared to maps on occasions

If you want the basic One model, theyre close or less than about 200 bucks now too

Comment

We use the Uniden TRAX 436 4.3" screen, lane guidance, blue tooth, optional live traffic. WOW sell them at $269 RRP is $449.

Great machine at a great price, like all things once you sort out how to use, its simple.

Comment

i have a XL classic tomtom, pretty good.

does have that needs to know which suburb issue Phrostyboi ^^^ typed about. which can be annoying if you dont know the next suburb etc

i do need to update the maps, but it is good to have. Most i have used have confusing voice commands at some times, maybe its my driving style?

Mine does get confused with underpasses and overpasses in the city sometimes and can be slow to find a sat in the city to.

Comment

Do any units come with voice commands "as in say the address ect" ??

I need to upgrade so all these user reviews will also help me decide

I was an early user of this technology and still use my first unit the Navman iCN 320
              Very Basic but it has served me well so far

KK

Comment

Ive got a Navman, whom I like to call Fred.

When I dont like what Fred tells me, I just ignore him and go my own way. Usually, he goes silent after trying to tell me to do a u turn when possible. When Im getting the silent treatment from Fred, hes trying to figure out another way to go, which he does and then were both happy...doesnt take long for Fred to come round to my way of seeing things! ;D

My Fred is the 500i. I didnt buy him because I wanted the Navpic function, actually, Ive never used it.

However, the functions that I do like and use are...

The Petrol Button. When you want to know where the nearest fuel stop is, you can just press this button and Fred brings up on his screen a list of the petrol stations. You can then select one and get directed to it. There is also the Parking button, but Ive never had a problem with being able to park my car, so havent had to use this function.

When going into a tunnel (like the Sydney Harbour Tunnel), Fred just gives you a list of the next directions to take. Which is handy as there is no satellite coverage under sea (as yet, unless of course the US military knows something we dont. Which is highly likely...)

GoTo Button. Fred was designed to resemble the GPS of aircraft and the GoTo button is what youll find on most of them. Easy and obvious to use as it immediately takes you to the screen where you can make your selection from either Your Home, Favourites or just find a new address.

I guess, ultimately, regardless of which one, they are better than a street directory, as it tells you where to go. By far, my favourite feature is the ability to flick through DTG (distance to go), ETA, current speed and time functions. Often, I just turn Fred on so I can see my speed. Between my speedo and the GPS, I can be sure Im close or on the posted speed limit.

If the next generation of GPS include such things as lifetime updates, I think that that will be great. My biggest bug is that you cant get map updates for less than the price of a new GPS. But I dont believe that that is the fault of GPS providers, rather it is the mapping people trying to make a buck or two. However, the only place Ive had a problem with the map in my GPS being out is actually in my town here. And seeing as I know it quite well, Im not too worried about that!

Just some of my GPS experience...

Comment

Originally posted by 43535F5F44516F57515C300 link=1248569358/7#7 date=1248612045
                  When I dont like what Fred tells me, I just ignore him and go my own way. Usually, he goes silent after trying to tell me to do a u turn when possible. When Im getting the silent treatment from Fred, hes trying to figure out another way to go, which he does and then were both happy...doesnt take long for Fred to come round to my way of seeing things! ;D
                  Yes I get that also

It would be great if one was offered & can choose from a number of routes
                  for example cutting through suburbs & back roads instead of the main roads unless its the shortest and quickest way

KK

Comment

Attached is the press release from Navman on their new MY series units.  It looks very good but doesnt go into enough detail on some of the features  :-?

I would really like one that warns me when Im exceeding the speed limit - a visual and audible alert would be great.

Before I buy anything electronic I download the user manual to see how it works, but the MY series manuals are not online yet  

Comment

I have tested and tried about 6 different GPS nav systems including off road systems... Over about 9 months.

1: I hate the $ they want to charge for updated maps.. That goes for all.

As to ease of use and and ability to edit / add and customise..

2: Then I have to strongly recommend teh TomTom system

I use a PDA version ( No TTS at this stage but that is not a major issue) and the ability to navigate to a contact can be great. School zones and the ability to manage POIs is a major bonus. Thus depending on ya PDA there are many other features that may or may not be available.

The PNA version that are out now have TTS, and like other also act as a Blue Tooth unit for ya phone...

I am upgrading my Car radio to a fully integrated system and to have maps etc and will be opting for TomTom... The reason... I need to get rid of too many nick knacks on my dash.

Maps will never be 100% and until the companies work out a way of patching / updating and making it more affordable... Then many will continue to find faults that exist with any mapping system... They are OUT of date the moment they are produced.

My 2cents worth.

Comment

Originally posted by 02262F2F2C2C1602263A2426490 link=1248569358/6#6 date=1248611556
                        I need to upgrade so all these user reviews will also help me decide

Originally posted by 02262F2F2C2C1602263A2426490 link=1248569358/8#8 date=1248612624
                        for example cutting through suburbs & back roads instead of the main roads unless its the shortest and quickest way  
                        The MY series Navman does just that with four options for routes:
                        Fastest
                        Shortest
                        Easiest
                        Fuel Economic

It all sounds great to me - will get my MY500XT next week  

The user manual for the Navman MY series is online:
                        http://www.navman.com.au/Final%20Manual/DOC-170-B%20Software%20User%20Manual%20AUS.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by 785C555556566C785C405E5C330 link=1248569358/8#8 date=1248612624

KK
                          my tomtom clasic XL has a "find alternate" you can do this a few times to go different ways, it shows a map view of the route .
                          also asks if you want to avoid tolls
                          but it does not know the secret backroad shortcuts that you get to know

Comment

My wife is always amazed that my backroad shortcuts always take longer :

Comment

Originally posted by 5A7D7B7C71080 link=1248569358/13#13 date=1248765636
                              My wife is always amazed that my backroad shortcuts always take longer  :
                              ROFLMFAO... My wife not only says the same but is amazed that I talk to it and argue...

Needless to say, when I say that it is not of the male gender.. In a less than complementary manner.. I get it from all sides... :-*

There was a great Utube clip about back drivers etc and one driver really goes off... It is only at the end that the camera zooms out and you see that he is having the whole arguement with a GPS system.. Worth a laugh.

Comment

Working...
                              X