Snobs with Cameras...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snobs with Cameras...

My weapon of choice...A Pentax K10D. I have the standard Pentax kit lens which is an 18-55mm along with a Pentax 50mm 1.4, a 28mm 1.2, a Pentax 28-80 zoom, a Sigma 35-80mm and a Sigma 70-300mm telephoto.

Out of all of those lenses, my favourite glass would have to be the 50mm and as I use it a bit more, the 300mm, which Ive only recently added to the collection. My least favourite glass is the 28-80 zoom which had come from my old Pentax Z10 SLR.

I thought Id kick this thread off and see if the camera literate and illiterate will be able to share about things like taking those great shots of coffee pouring, latte art and even just the posed shots of still life cups and glasses!

By no means am I a pro, have always been amateur but like to push myself to take better and better shots. I have always had a camera in my hands from a very young age, even harboring dreams to be a DoP (but thats another story). Having the Digital SLR has been a huge learning curve and a great step up. Though dont be discouraged if you dont have a DSLR, as there are plenty of great photographers behind the lens of a point and shoot (P&S).

So as we dont just jam up the CS servers with our photos, may I suggest that you have a look at getting yourself a Flickr or similar account and using it to show us your photos! Of course, if you need help with getting such an account, just leave a message here and we can pm you with the instructions.

I have a flickr account and if you dont you can see only my public photos. If you also have a flickr account, you can become a contact of mine and see pretty much all I have on there. My flickr address is...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/duchessandtheduke/

So...now to let you in on how I did take that great shot of the Illy Crystals. And youre going to laugh at how easy it was!

I think that its good to have some fabric that is a neutral colour, like black and not a cotton but a synthetic. The black fabric that is in my photo is actually a lycra. Which means that it drapes very well with no distinct creases. You want a fabric which doesnt crease, ie cotton.

Then, using some small boxes, I draped the fabric over them so as to create a raised backdrop. All of this I did outside on my outdoor table. I wanted the most light and inside of my house wasnt enough.

Thats the other trick...lighting. But there are other snobs with cameras that know more about that than me, Im sure!

And then, I just arranged the glasses how I wanted them. Though, looking at that photo, theyre not perfect! The one at the rear was a bit too far to the left. Then, I focussed on the front glass and took the shot! Well, lots really, moving up and down with shutter speeds to get the best exposure.

Now, I know that there is a way to get all in focus, it has to do with shutter speeds and focal lengths and F-stops...but I always get that stuff mixed up as its numbers and Im not brilliant with them. I didnt want them to be all in focus for this shot though and got what I wanted, one in clear focus and the others OF (out of focus).

Anyway...thats all for this lesson...anyone else got a lesson theyd like to share!?

Re: Snobs with Cameras...

Some pretty good shots there, well done!

I suggest to anyone that you need to understand the basics and how they interact with eachother. Understanding aperture (f stops), shutter speed, ISO amongst other things, is really imperetive in getting your fundamentals of photography right.

scoota gal, when you refer to getting all the glasses in focus, Im sure you know how to go about it. The trick to understandin f stops is to understand that the number is a fraction.

f/1.8 is bigger than f/8, it lets less light in, it requires a longer shutter speed, but gets more of the picture in focus. When referring to things that arent in focus, theres a difference between something thats not focused correctly, and DoF (depth of field, or depth of focus) which is what youre referring to when you said OF (out of focus) at the end of your last paragraph. OOF is bad, DoF is good.

As for me, I learnt (well, were always still learning) on a Canon 20D. As for lenses, I have a 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm ultra wide angle, a 430ex II flash and a few other bits and pieces. Ill be looking at a 16-35mm f/2.8, 24-70mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8 when I look at a Canon 5D full frame in 12 months time.. Quite an ugprade, and a kick in the pocket too

As for flickr, I dont use it..

Comment

Oh...the vaunted 5D...wow...nice bit of kit that...I saw some video footage taken on that camera, it looked gorgeous. Youre right about the kick in the pocket! But, couldnt be any worse than upgrading a coffee machine!

Thanks for that lesson too, JRC. My biggest problem is remembering that the smaller the number the bigger the aperture and I have to say, that what youve just said has just made the penny drop for me! F stops have never been explained to me as fractions before! Now...to see if I can remember that...

Comment

When it clicked that its a fraction, everything just made sense. You know those moments where youre just like oh wow, so thattttss why it does that!

Bigger f number, more in focus, more light required, (smaller aperture)
        Smaller f number, less in focus, less light required, (bigger aperture)

Heres a photo I just uploaded. I went out for tea the other night and had my camera (and my tripod, which I accidently left in the car : )

http://malec.id.au/IMG_4564.jpg

I wish I had more time during the day to use my camera.. By the time I finish work, Im usually in the mood to go home, and dont even think about the sunet near the beach (I work about 5 minutes from the beach).. Might see if I am lucky to remember tomorrow!

Do you have any other photos besides coffee bits?

Comment

5 minutes from the beach! I dont know how you could work at all! ;D

That is a gorgeous image too.

Ive got heaps of images other than coffee but you have to go digging through those pages...

Im working on trying to improve my photography all over but my weakest area is portraits and so when my friends ask me to take photos of their kids, I jump at the opportunity! If you check out the set of Ag show entries, youll see what else I like to take photos of too. My favourite photo by far at the moment is a black and white of my son.

Ive been resisting photoshoping (or PPing/post processing) my images because Im such an old school purist (in my own opinion!) but Id downloaded some actions into my PSE5 and had some fun playing...heres one such result...Id set myself a non too easy task here as I was shooting from shadows with a bright sunny background...the conversion has helped this picture I think.

Comment

Hi Scootagal Long time no see... thanks for starting this thread! (Love your pics!)

I think us CSers are also into other (potentially) expensive hobbies!

Heres a link to some of my coffee photos: http://benandfaith.smugmug.com/All%20Things%20Coffee!

I use a Canon 350D with Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and a couple of other pieces of gear. Its 3 years old and in need of upgrade, but instead Ive downgraded to Canon SX1 for the hybrid capabilities until I save some $ and the kids grow up (hard to lug around their gear and mine!)

Remember this?

Comment

Ive had a long-stranding affair with photography thats progressed from birds/animals back towards more commercial styles.

Currently shooting with a Canon 50D + 17-40 f4/L, Asahi Pentax SMC Takumar 35/2, Pentacon Preset 135/2.8, Canon 70-300/f4.5-5.6 & Canon 100-400L (this one is for sale to fund new adventures in coffeesnobbery - pm me if you have an interest).

Also got the range of usual clutter - flashgun, eneloops, spare batteries, filters, bags & suchlike.

Comment

I started with a Kodak Instamatic I recieved on my 12th birrhday.
                Anyone remeber those?
                Took a cartridge. B&W was the go for me (cheaper).
                Even flash was a tad expensive.
                It had a cube (with the barreries) that sat on top and a 4 sided flash bulb that you rotated after each use (not too soon or youd burn your fingers).
                I think its still in the garage somewhere.

I have my fathers old Voigtlander that he had from the mid 50s.
                Very nice but in need of a service and the only Voigtlader repair place I new of closed many years ago.

These days I just have an old Fuji Digital (see the AromaFest pics).

It does me for now and Ive always been about getting the best out of the subject with the equipment I have.
                I cant be too bad as Ive been asked to be the photographer at several weddings and christenings over the years.

I think Ill upload a few of my favourites and see what you think.

Comment

We had been living with a Canon Powershot A10 1.3 mega pixel for many years, as our primary interest has been video.

Just before going to Africa late last year we thought an upgrade was probably necessary, so

Current weapon is Pentax K200D Digital SLR with Sigma 18-50mm and Sigma 70-300mm lenses.

Also a Canon XL1s with every conceivable extra and Manfrotto tripod.

Comment

Originally posted by 686F646B646E6C6B637E620A0 link=1249384716/5#5 date=1249428721
                    Hi Scootagal Long time no see... thanks for starting this thread! (Love your pics!)

Remember this?
                    Hey Ben! I see you guys are up in Brisvegas now...hope youre enjoying the view from there! And yes, I remember your lovely camera taking a few shots that day too! Great to see you back around on the forum here...

Originally posted by 436E6F647E637E730A0 link=1249384716/6#6 date=1249432795
                    Currently shooting with a Canon 50D + 17-40 f4/L, Asahi Pentax SMC Takumar 35/2, Pentacon Preset 135/2.8, Canon 70-300/f4.5-5.6 & Canon 100-400L (this one is for sale to fund new adventures in coffeesnobbery - pm me if you have an interest).
                    ID, do you have an adaptor ring for the Pentax lens when you use it on your Canon?

Originally posted by 5E627F646E6F786D656E0A0 link=1249384716/7#7 date=1249437654
                    I started with a Kodak Instamatic I recieved on my 12th birrhday.

I think Ill upload a few of my favourites and see what you think.
                    I have a Kodak box brownie which was one of the bakerlite styles. Its just a collectors piece now, though I daresay it still works as its in excellent condition.

You did some great photos at Aroma fest, TG...show us some more!

Originally posted by 696179736E0A0 link=1249384716/8#8 date=1249438670
                    Current weapon is Pentax K200D Digital SLR with Sigma 18-50mm and Sigma 70-300mm lenses.
                    Aahh...another Pentax lover... 8-)

Comment

I have a Sony A700 and some gear.  I have had a camera of one sort or another for more years than I wish to mention  (a hint would be that the first was a box shaped camera with two lenses).  If anyone is interested I have a Flickr Photostream
                      www.flickr.com/photos/stan_dea

I had a look at everybodies photos. It seems there are some good photographers on this forum 8-)

Comment

Hi Stan! I see you like your wildlife! Ive never been much of an animals photo-shooter, but wouldnt mind getting into it one day. Those eagles look great!

Comment

Originally posted by 4555595942576951575A360 link=1249384716/9#9 date=1249511117
                          ID, do you have an adaptor ring for the Pentax lens when you use it on your Canon?  
                          Yep, using an M42 to EOS adaptor.

Some of the lenses just have specific qualities I like, such as the swirly bokeh on the preset (look at the out of focus highlights on the grey shelf strut)

Comment

Nice pic there of Renzo! I see he got a harcut?!

Nice bokeh from the lens - can see the Di Bartoli sign at the back of his head has blurred out in a pleasing way.

Would love your 100-400L, but I think if I had that amount of cash, Id get a HX machine instead! I drink coffee way more than I take photos at the moment...

Comment

Originally posted by 31363D323D3735323A273B530 link=1249384716/11#11 date=1249516629
                              Hi Stan! I see you like your wildlife! Ive never been much of an animals photo-shooter, but wouldnt mind getting  into it one day. Those eagles look great!

Thanks - I only frighten people, animals dont seem to mind me  

You shots were pretty good - I did notice you seem to be fixated on Coffee related items??  

The only issue with photographing fauna is the cost of the lenses to get you in close enough.  The biggest I have is a 200-400 Tamron but I am finding that limiting so I am saving for a new machine and a new lens.  I dont know at this stage which will win  :-/

Comment

Working...
                              X