Children and cafes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Children and cafes

Babyccinos. I dont even know how to spell it. They just seem so wasteful.

Had a woman come in with seven little girls ready for their ballet class next door and asked for a cap and if I would make 7 babyccinos because she felt guilty getting a coffee and not getting the girls something.

I said no to the babyccinos and offered to make them some mini hot chocs for the same price.

Everybody was happy.

Re: Children and cafes

I honestly dont even know how to put a price on a Babyccino, its a small dash of milk with a dallop of foam and chocolate powder on top.. $4.10 thank you.

Comment

If parents havent taught their kids that sometimes they are not the center of the universe and dont always "get something" then they deserve to pay way to much for a little bit of foam and some chocolate. IMHO (by the way I think my kids are going to hate me for being a tight arse).

Comment

Originally posted by 56777C7C7B61120 link=1210652095/485#485 date=1255085377
        I said no to the babyccinos and offered to make them some mini hot chocs for the same price.
        I think that is the sanest way around the babycino thingy.
        If it is a possibility for the shop to pump out some hot chocs in small cups (or even the small takeaway cups for kids) then its got to be a better deal than the cup of next to nothing that takes too long to prepare.

I started out with our youngster asking for the babycino, very quickly got too embarressed and now always get her a hot choc.

Brett.

Comment

Originally posted by 424550464B5D7B151D1D1D240 link=1210652095/481#481 date=1254082215
          Greg Pullman Tamper #213 and #1803
          Ha! I like it. Collectors editions

Comment

Originally posted by 444A47485F4948260 link=1210652095/487#487 date=1255131782
            If parents havent taught their kids that sometimes they are not the center of the universe and dont always "get something" then they deserve to pay way to much for a little bit of foam and some chocolate. IMHO (by the way I think my kids are going to hate me for being a tight arse).
            Na they will just work out what lube ya ass needs and then you will be broke before ya sit down.. For that well deserved coffee from HJs. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 0B242D2F38072B242B2D2F272F243E4A0 link=1210652095/490#490 date=1255157314
              Na they will just work out what lube ya ass needs and then you will be broke before ya sit down..  For that well deserved coffee from HJs.  ;D
              ;D ;D ;D

AM...how astute!!!

Comment

Someone needs to let the dude at *Toronto Institution DAssTastes* know that "but I always get compliments on my coffee" is no way to respond to the fact I am telling you this coffee right here is crap and it was always going to be crap cause you didnt even tamp, and then used the already boiled milk to fill the cup.
                And to the place 2 doors up who heard the story and still gave me scalded millk, you suck too.
                Well done both places, I just wanted to sip a coffee on a bench while my son plays in the park and you ruined the whole morning. By the time Id returned to give you this feedback and an opportunity to do better, the boy was wild so no park for him, no coffee for me and absolutely no respect for you "quality lakeside cafes".

Comment

Classic, Mel...sorry you didnt get anything decent from there...

As to babycinos...I must be evil because all I see is how Im the one who is indoctrinating the next gen of coffee snobs...like the young lad who is most happy with his cup of froth, sitting up quietly opposite his chuffed mum and meanwhile Im thinking how its going to keep me and my friends in a job many years down the track... ;D

Comment

How is that any different to a Happy Meal?

Comment

My biggest gripe about babycinos is mothers who expect them to be free.

The point is not that it contains 10c worth of milk. There is time involved in making it and did you see the mess your kids made all over the floor when they were running around the shop with that crumbling muffin you bought over the road?

I worked at a couple of places one place charged $1.50 for a babycino the other place was free. Guess which cafe got hoards of tight ass mothers groups coming up from Brighton, blocking the doorway with prams, who wanted coffee scalding hot, who talked down to you, sitting around all arvo asking for water every ten minutes, half of which would end up spilt and mopped up with a bunch of napkins which are left behind soggy on the table and floor and spending a grand total of $15 for the day.

We also got mothers groups at the place that charged for babycinos. They just tended to be more reasonable people.

Comment

A shot of coffee in the babycino and an afternoon of pulling the little darlings down off the walls should be enough to cure mothers of their attachment to these things

Im a coffee-addicted mummy and somehow manage to not order one when out, but if Im at home he gets my left over milk... its not that Im embarrassed to ask for such a ridiculous thing (well maybe a little) but more the fact that most places cant get the temp right for me, let alone trusting them not to scald the boys mouth.

I worry about the parenting skills of any mother whod order a blisteringly hot coffee and then ask for some of that milk just for their kid to drink.

Comment

I dont see the problem with a babycino. Having a 3yo, I routinely order them when out. I know its just a bit of milk, but it keeps them quiet and as a parent, makes my visit to a joint a little more pleasant. And am certainly happy to pay for the privilege.

As for ordering a hot chocolate instead, shes alergic to many colours and flavours, so unless I know theyre using good quality chocolate and theres no bleedin marshmallow, I wont risk it.

And neither myself or wife visit places that serve scaldingly hot coffee so theres minimal risk of injury.

Comment

Originally posted by 20222E2626282F32410 link=1210652095/497#497 date=1255427164
                            I dont see the problem with a babycino
                            I dont enjoy doing it, and guess I really dont have a problem with one either, especially if it makes a child feel like they are sharing an experience with Mum and/or Dad. It was seven I had a problem with and I do find the whole thing odd.

Maybe its not a particularly good example, but wouldnt it be strange to see Mum and/or Dad down at the local pub with the kids, ordering a beer and a beeracino for their little son or daughter?

I have four children and when they were toddlers and older, we never had to give them something to keep them quiet. Nor did they run around a shop and play havoc. Perhaps we were just lucky.

Oh and by the way, I use the African Red Cocoa for the hot chocolate served in the shop.

Comment

I dont mind making a one or two babycinos everyso often but when too many are asked for, they get annoying. Whats really bad is when the parents want lots of chocolate powder ontop of the babycino and they ask for the chocolate shaker and go crazy which gets the bench covered in chocolate!

Comment

Working...
                              X