Snobs quote leads to outrage...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snobs quote leads to outrage...

Well here is a snipet from the article that ran in our local newspaper after last weekends Coffee Course !

Why had he run the clinic?

Mr Blair said he thought the standard of coffee served in Whangarei cafes was "very, very low" but uninformed customers did not complain.

"If people manage to drink it they dont say anything.
    Id like to see the standard raised so people could confidently insist on being served really good coffee," he said.

Well I have had the official call from my co-host and his clients (he supplys coffee to local cafes) are not happy to say the least :
    He wishes to dis-associate himself from me and my comments, and tells me I have cost him business and all I created was negativity :-/

Oh well I am a big boy, Ill not lose any sleep !

Whatever happened to telling the truth?

Chris

Re: Snobs quote leads to outrage...

Hmmm. So is it the standard of coffee served Chris, or the standard of the roasting?

I guess if its the former, the Roaster has some accountability for that too, though it can be darned hard to manage!

Comment

See now that reallllllllllly p*sses me off.

If you are supplying coffee, why do you not want that coffee made at the highest standard? Why encourage an atmosphere of acceptable mediocrity? Its the fast and easy route to unloading stock and turning a dollar, but slowly building up a reputation for quality has surely got to bring greater rewards in the long run.

Im sorry to hear you werent given the support you should have gotten for your stance Chris. I dont know how many cafes are in that area, but I would not have thought that comment youve quoted indicated any specific cafes, so I dont know how this could have cost business, unless customers have this week decided to stand up and say no I wont pay for this swill in every cafe in town.

I like to think that the truth always wins out, but its been known to get beat up by $$$. Good on you for speaking out.

Comment

We are talking "Flat Whites" that are bitter, let alone a short black.
        I would be surprised if ANY barista (coffee maker) in Whangarei even new the roast date let alone what the blend was. No SOs in Whangarei at all in fact the majority of places cannot answer what BRAND of coffee they use "Seriously"

Yes i know i am doing something about it

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 3D2A2B3520212A7E7D7E4F0 link=1256000922/0#0 date=1256000922
          Well here is a snipet from the article that ran in our local newspaper after last weekends Coffee Course !

Why had he run the clinic?

Mr Blair said he thought the standard of coffee served in Whangarei cafes was "very, very low" but uninformed customers did not complain.

"If people manage to drink it they dont say anything.
          Id like to see the standard raised so people could confidently insist on being served really good coffee," he said.

Well I have had the official call from my co-host and his clients (he supplys coffee to local cafes) are not happy to say the least  :
          He wishes to dis-associate himself from me and my comments, and tells me I have cost him business and all I created was negativity  :-/

Oh well I am a big boy, Ill not lose any sleep !

Whatever happened to telling the truth?

Chris
          Here was a perfect oppertunity for them to step up and put the place on the map...

Instead it appears that they have taken the information out of context and shot the messanger and may well continue to produce the same crap....

Feeling for ya..

What the link to the local rag... Maybe some feedback ??

Comment

http://www.northernadvocate.co.nz/local/news/coffees-not-all-equal-says-keen-roaster/3905492/

Comment

Did the reporter like your presentation & coffee?

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 4453524C595853070407360 link=1256000922/5#5 date=1256011367
                http://www.northernadvocate.co.nz/local/news/coffees-not-all-equal-says-keen-roaster/3905492/  
                Feedback can be posted here..

http://www.northernadvocate.co.nz/feedback/letters-to-the-editor/

My feedback basicly stated that;

People should not shoot the messenger and that even with a top roaster and beans; the person making the coffee has a significant role to play..

The cafes and other establishments should re visit the training of the staff and use this an an oppertunity to lift their game...

NOT SHOOT THE MESSANGER...

Comment

Hmmmm... no option to comment on the story on the newspaper site. Pity.

I think the story is fine (and we all know how a little one liner can become a generalisation), I think your friends reaction and those of the cafes is dubious though.

If their coffee is not at a "very, very low" standard then I assume they would be happy to put their coffee up against yours in a blind taste test?

It wouldnt be too hard to find some competition level judges in NZ... Im sure Carl or Emma would be there in a shot if it would raise the bar for local coffee.

I smell a challenge.
                  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 1D3238255C0 link=1256000922/8#8 date=1256011985
                    Hmmmm... no option to comment on the story on the newspaper site.  Pity.

I think the story is fine (and we all know how a little one liner can become a generalisation), I think your friends reaction and those of the cafes is dubious though.

If their coffee is not at a "very, very low" standard then I assume they would be happy to put their coffee up against yours in a blind taste test?

It wouldnt be too hard to find some competition level judges in NZ... Im sure Carl or Emma would be there in a shot if it would raise the bar for local coffee.

I smell a challenge.
                    ;D
                    As per my post above... Feedback and just use teh Story line as the subject :-)

http://www.northernadvocate.co.nz/feedback/letters-to-the-editor/

Comment

Ha ha KK, no mate a guy randomly rings me up as the course was starting then fronts up takes some pictures and goes. Next day (Sunday) a reporter rings up and we talk for 5 minutes and thats what he pulls out of my answers. I am all good with the article albiet a bit muddled but thats ok. Its the guy I included to help with it who reakons its all negative. He says its all my opinion only which is true (that and EVERY person I know that goes out for coffee) The people I spoke to at work today were rapt and we had 21 feedback forms with great comments and I am running another in Feb as 75% of the people want a more specific course on pour over and espresso making.
                      All good, thanks for your support

Comment

My letter:

Good on Chris Blair. I am sick of getting crap coffee from cafes only to be told "we never had any complaints before". You are paying for it and should demand a certain standard, and if sub-standard operators have a problem with it they should get out of the game. Consumer rights have not been well defended in this area. The excuse that its just a cup of coffee, only worth a few bucks, is no reason to not provide satisfactory goods and services. Lift your game or face a backlash - people should vote with their dollars and let bad cafes know!

Ooooh now I feel like an old person with a stationary set. My first letter to the editor! haha

Comment

Good on you I reckon. I wish I had the guts to speak up about bad coffee but I think Id sound like a broken reckon around here. :-/ Fortunately there are a couple of cafes that care, but it took me 3 months to find them.

Comment

UPDATE Snobs quote leads to outrage...

Have a look at the comments from this happy couple.....
                            This was in tonights "Letters to the Editor"

Comment

So whats the coffee like there Chris? ;D

If you get driven out of town, Sylvania AU is quite a nice place to be.

Comment

Working...
                              X