Best book you have read ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best book you have read ?

Got to do a little book reading lately (not coffee or work related) for a change.
    Anyone like to share either their all time favourite or at least something they highly recommend. We have probably covered the coffee ones already.

Ill start with one I read last year "Tuesdays with Morrie" by Mitch Albom. True story of a US sports writer who spends Tuesdays with a past college Professor as he dies.
    Cherry subject ;D

It was quite something, anyway your turn

Re: Best book you have read ?

You can try some books from Micheal Crichton. Most of his books are thrillers and best sellers. At the moment im reading one called "Next" which is also by him.

Comment

If you like crime, I highly recommend anything by Peter Temple. Currently reading his latest, "Truth", but "Broken Shore" is probably his best.

Comment

gah, ive got too many to list.
        "Affluenza" is my vote for something that ought to be mandatory reading.

Just personal taste, but I love sci-fi. Dune rocks my world, and a recent opshop find called Factoring Humanity had this quote in it (roughly, my memorys sucky): "Science Fiction is the greatest mind-expanding drug." And it was a good read too, left me feeling rather sunny. Robert J. Sawyer if youre interested.

Comment

"All The Kings Men" by Gordon Stevens, based around the premise that the Germans were actually successful in invading Britain. Tells the story of the British Resistance. A good yarn.

Also "Kennedys Ghost" by the same author.

Comment

I thoroughly enjoyed and lost myself in the Life of Pi by Jan Martel, had no idea what was real and what was conjured up to hide what was happening to him!! Some people hated it - I loved it and smiled when it was all over at the irony.

Also enjoyed White Tiger - irony and tongue in cheek - very clever!

Comment

Yeah, loved Life of Pi.

My favourite (lately) is "An Equal Music" by Vikram Seth. IMHO a beautifully written story of a classical violinists struggles with life, love and his music. Loved how he brought the music to life on the pages of his book.

Comment

Im with Mel - Im a huge sci-fi fan too.

Some of my favourites (theres too many to pinpoint just one!)

* The Foundation Series - Isaac Asimov

* Eon - Greg Bear

* Jennie - Paul Gallico: A book I read as a child and have read many times since about a young boy that is transformed into a cat and spends some time with another female cat learning the ways of the cat world in the slums of London. Its sounds simplistic but is a truly beautiful and sad book.

* Anything by Matthew Reilly - pulp fiction, I know, but oh so readable!

* Anything by Dan Brown - see above.

Cheers
                Di

Comment

Oooh Ive read some greg bear in collections of short stories, will have to track that one down di!

Might have to check out that alternative history stuff mad pierre is on about too. I dont mind a little "what if?" action in my reading.

Great topic, btw.

Comment

Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne with illustrations by E.H. Shepard. Still a classic for me. And, yes I am serious

Comment

The best book Ive ever read? I couldnt even begin to list all the hundreds if not thousands of books that are at the head of that list. Theres far too many of them abiding in that fuzzy cloud in my mind labeled best book. I enjoy and regularly ready pretty much every genre except for one. Bodice Rippers. Blech! I do however have a genre that easily qualifies as my favorite. It was my first love and what got me hooked on reading all those years ago and remains my favorite to this day. Science Fiction!

While I dont have a best book per se I can easily tell you the books that have stuck out in my mind ever since I first read then as a lad 40 or so years ago. Stranger in a Strange Land (Do you grok?), The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (Gotta love being at the top of a deep gravity well!) and Starship Troopers (Power suit anyone?). All by Robert Heinlein. Ive always admired how he writes on multiple levels. One that entertains and another that makes you question/think about some aspect of society.

I am currently working my way through the several boxes of Sci-Fi books that a friend gave me. They were his fathers collection and are mainly from the late 40s through the 60s with a smattering outside of that range. Surprisingly and very pleasingly they contain quite a few books that are new to me. So not only do I get to revisit some old friends I get to read a bunch of new books and make some new friends as well! I am having great fun and enjoyment reading through them. When finished they will join the thousands of other books in my library.

Java "Beam me up Scotty!" phile
                      Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Sci-Fi for me too. Ive been an addict of this for almost 50 years, and like Javaphile, I have many, many favourites.

Some specific recommendations are John Brunners series that contains Stand on Zanzibar and The Sheep Look Up, and the "Ender" series by Orson Scott Card.

Greg

Comment

Greg

They arent my all time favorites but they are way up there. "Stand on Zanzibar" is awesome, as is the ender series. I have a soft spot for "Songmaster" also by Orson Scott Card.

I tend to like a mix of genres, and select the book (and the music) to match my mood - sometimes to alter my mood.

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by 7068696C5F5F000 link=1264408206/12#12 date=1264471119
                            as is the ender series
                            +1

Enders Game is one of the best

Comment

I enjoy reading non fiction especially autobiographys/biographys and a good one that comes to mind is "Midnight Express" by William Hayes who was sent to a turkish prison for trying to courier drugs out of the country. This one was made into a movie a long time ago, cant remember when. A riveting read and hard to put down.

Comment

Working...
                              X