Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re: Auto change from s-p-r-o to espresso?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Auto change from s-p-r-o to espresso?

Vote away in the above poll to help determine what gets auto-corrected and what stays as its typed.

I dont understand all of this text speech, so real writing would be the way to go.
    My 13 year old sends me a text and I cant make out what he is trying to say, some of the things people type here on coffeesnobs I have no hope.

Comment

I would like posts with acronyms returned for clarification.
      They may be understandable to the few but go over my head and I expect the majority of the wider coffee community as well.
      Where did previous posts go?
      If comment is not required say so.
      Lindsay

Comment

I have to say, in spite of my questions about disappearing topics a week ago, I for one am happy to see this thread changed. It was getting personal and unnecessary.

I think its very kind and certainly admirable of Andy to put up a poll on this, thanks!

Comment

Id like to add my bit........I also dont understand all these abbreviated text acronyms - what ever happened to plain old english!! Also new combers to the website may not understand easily what FWIW means?

Comment

Originally posted by 222E3D3B362D2A2E214F0 link=1264810304/1#1 date=1265226363
            My 13 year old sends me a text and I cant make out what he is trying to say,
            But Dad...I told you! Remember? I sent you a text. :

Originally posted by 053A23262A004F0 link=1264810304/4#4 date=1265233714
            Id like to add my bit........I also dont understand all these abbreviated text acronyms
            FWIW YV Latte I dont understand a lot of the new ones. Just when you think youve got it under control, some kid invents a new acronym and even Google struggles to help.

Comment

Originally posted by 1D213C272D2C3B2E262D490 link=1264810304/5#5 date=1265235392
              martybean wrote on Today at 06:46:
              My 13 year old sends me a text and I cant make out what he is trying to say,

But Dad...I told you! Remember? I sent you a text.  
              ROFLMAO...

My son / daughter say the same to me - Pr emptive txt / small key pad / dyslexia etc often means people dont get my txt messages..

Besides... Some times what is wrong with a phone call ???? I can speak to you on hands free but can not read or reply when driving...

Comment

fwiw :P for a lot of people these acronyms are ingrained through years of using instant messaging (MSN, Google Talk, AIM, ICQ etc) so its not just restricted to sms on phones.

however, i think there is no point in communication if half of your audience has no idea what you are saying.

ps i suppose im of the generation that invented and uses these words and even i have to look up urbandictionary.com every so often!

Comment

...yet in the above poll we see
                  I want to see/use AFAIK, LOL, FWIW in posts
                  ...ahead of it being auto corrected.

Interesting results so far.

Comment

I noticed that too but then again I was one that voted that way.

I think I lean towards the whole word being written correctly and not minding the use of acronyms.

FWIW if the acronyms were auto-corrected Id be OK with it but still use them as shorthand when typing.

Comment

Originally posted by 6A454F522B0 link=1264810304/8#8 date=1265236477
                      ...yet in the above poll we see
                      I want to see/use AFAIK, LOL, FWIW in posts
                      ...ahead of it being auto corrected.

Interesting results so far.

Yeah it is,

but that coupling (see/use vs autocorrect) is a close run thing.

The other two by comparison are quite clear cut. Vehemently so in the case of expresso.

So what does this say? Coffeesnobs are particular about their own vernacular, yet dont care much for the English language overall?

Welcome to Coffee vernacular Snobs ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 625E4358525344515952360 link=1264810304/9#9 date=1265236819
                        FWIW if the acronyms were auto-corrected Id be OK with it but still use them as shorthand when typing.
                        Exactly....
                        Isnt an acronym only used to shorten the need to write/type it in longhand.

You couldnt be worried about it being converted unless you were trying to convey a certain coolness/hipness by using it.

Comment

Originally posted by 7B475A414B4A5D48404B2F0 link=1264810304/9#9 date=1265236819
                          if the acronyms were auto-corrected Id be OK with it but still use them as shorthand when typing.  
                          I think that was my original (not very well sold) point.  I thought that if people typed the shorthand and the website did some auto-magic to turn them into real words that would be a benefit, not a hindrance to good communication.

From my own perspective, while I know what AFAIK, LOL & FWIW mean, I still have to pause and translate which is a chore in the middle of a paragraph.

So apart from AFAIK, LOL, FWIW the other (cringe) one ROFLMAO what others get used by people?

Comment

Originally posted by 416E6479000 link=1264810304/12#12 date=1265247489
                            what others get used by people?
                            YMMV - your mileage may vary
                            IIRC - if i recall correctly

therell be more ... i know that most of the ones I would use sprang up on IRC originally, so maybe theres a list provided by DALnet or EFnet or someone.

Comment

If find IIRC handy but the first time I saw YMMV it confused me even after I found out what it stood for.

Comment

Working...
                              X