Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freight companies, how much do I hate thee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freight companies, how much do I hate thee?

3 years with TNT (dun worry, well blow it up for you) and we experienced damage on a monthly basis, 2 complete write offs of machines shipped on protective skids and finally, the theft of a Domobar Super which was collected from Dennis by their driver, taken to the the Enfield depot and just "disappeared" from there.

Good enough reason to change companies Id reckon- and we did...TNT took legal action to sue us for $600 - our final unpaid account after all of this damage and loss that they they were "not responsible" for.

New company:
    So far:
    1 x wrecked machine (on skid) arrives in Hobart and is written off

Last Friday, we shipped 2 x Mazzers, security wrapped North to Dennis from Melbourne.

Collected by a new driver and they have since "disappeared without trace". This company dont scan on collection and now they are suggesting that they didnt even collect them...Not much they didnt..

Beware all, these freight companies use the term "We are not common carriers" to protect themselves. Legally this means that they can load your stuff into their mates cars while you watch and you cant do a zack about it. Meanwhile, our transit insurers triple our premium, impose a huge excess and threaten to cancel our policy if we claim again. No other insurers will touch us.

Australia is the only developed country with such lax freight laws. We encourage criminal activity and I bloody hate freight companies.

They are now checking the video taken at their depot...if the grinders even made it there which I figure is probably unlikley :-?

Wait for the next installment....to be continued....

> > > /rant

Re: Freight companies, how much do I hate thee

Originally posted by 6154595E6A765A53535050350 link=1266990817/0#0 date=1266990817
    Collected by a new driver and they have since "disappeared without trace". This company dont scan on collection and now reckon they didnt even collect them...Not much they didnt..
    What a low act.

So are they also saying they gave you a job number then decided not to collect?

I never send coffee out on a Friday as its like to lie sweltering in the back of a van over the weekend, but in the instance of equipment, I reckon it gives some of these drivers a larger than normal sized window of opportunity to sort through the stuff they want to keep for themselves. Bastards. >

Comment

Originally posted by 0B3E3334001C3039393A3A5F0 link=1266990817/0#0 date=1266990817
      "We are not common carriers"
      That term used to really get on my nerves when I was a grocery wholesaler in outback qld. The frieght companies seem to have all the rights and the customer has none.

We changed freight companies many times but they all seemed to promise the earth and give us a headache in return.

Good luck with your search for a better courier Chris, and remember to let us know if you find someone better!

Comment

Makes me appreciate my delivery men a whole lot more, I am lucky too know two of the drivers who deliver to me and they cant do enough to help.

Comment

I think Ive got a new business venture in mind ...

"Coffeesnobs Freight"

Offering secure and safe freighting of your coffee supplies, machines etc door to door.

Who is up for investing in the shares for it?

Comment

Thats terrible Chris... >

I appreciate my Kony even more now; just now, gave it a hug.... :-*

Mal.

Comment

For medical stuff and in particular equipment we tend to use Cope Sensitive Transport and in most cases there are some additional clauses that are agreed to..

Have they been perfect - NO.

Have they performed better than TNT = YES

The other issue is to box / package such that the actual content is not totally visible to all.  

The issue that we have in many places is what is termed as "Attractive and Portable" and while the companies may do their best... It is more than likely the act of an individual, rather than the company as a whole.

Does that make it OK = No...

Do Coles/ Myers etc suffer loss by theft = Yes  If it always customers.. NO, it is often the staff 5 finger discounts that cost them more.

Just look at cleaning companies.. Many assume that its only cleaning thus should be cheep.. Again the issue of "Attractive and Portable" comes into play and some cleaning staff really do pocket some expensive stuff and proving it is a right pain.. Outcome is that many get stuck with the bad press and are not involved or a party to this behaviour. I am sure KK could tell some stories.

Problem is that many assume that insurance will cover it and that no one suffers... = WRONG.

Either way... Suppliers / Clients and every one pays; as insurances etc or the product cost rises to try to off set the losss...

Coffee machines have been an attractive item for a while.....  As coffee becomes even more popular and the opportunity presents its self... Some will endever to ensure the product is portable enough to become a 5 finger discount....  Issue is that ... I bet it ends up for sale in the pub or evil bay  >

My rant..

Comment

Re: Freight companies, how much do I hate thee?

Originally posted by 2535393922370931373A560 link=1266990817/4#4 date=1267006804
                I think Ive got a new business venture in mind ...

"Coffeesnobs Freight"

Offering secure and safe freighting of your coffee supplies, machines etc door to door.

Who is up for investing in the shares for it?  
                If only Scoots, if only....I reckon I could name at least a dozen companies, small and large which would give you 100% of their business immediately.

Originally posted by 17383133241B37383731333B333822560 link=1266990817/6#6 date=1267010556
                For medical stuff and in particular equipment we tend to use Cope Sensitive Transport and in most cases there are some additional clauses that are agreed to..
                Yes AM, COPE are one of the companies I have called. Their response: Not interested. Other companies which are also not interested in a substantial freight account at any price include: Fastrack, Star Express, Startrack, AAE, Couriers Please....I could further add to this list with a little more thought...

Originally posted by 17383133241B37383731333B333822560 link=1266990817/6#6 date=1267010556
                The other issue is to box / package such that the actual content is not totally visible to all.
                Yes- EVERY package we ship is security wrapped in a really thick layer of black cling wrap and anything which can be damaged goes on a skid as well. Buggered if I know what else we can do. :

Freight companies....Haven for petty criminals  >

Comment

Sorry to hear about the continuing disgrace that is the courier industry, Chris.

Maybe slip a GPS tracking device into the machines. Like these:

http://www.ozspy.com.au/cart/categories.asp?zone=21

Wouldnt help with the couriers that like to throw them around, but those that detour them to their homes....

I know... theyre not cheap, but maybe just one unit that can go back and forwards between you and Dens, like the Real Time GPS with audio. That could be interesting.

(Teen Tracking?! )

Comment

Thats terrible to hear, Ive had some dramas with freight companies over the years but nothing quite like what youve experienced Chris.

Seen plenty of dodgy stuff too, even more when I worked for a few of them! I remember one incident where someone managed to break into the brand new "secure" cage at one of the depots, first by cutting through the roof of the depot, exactly above the cage itself. Amazingly, they also knew exactly which draw to go to in the managers office to get the keys to the vans stored in the depot so they could load them up with mobile phones and get away. hmmm. very interesting that one.

Good luck with your search for a decent logistics provider!

Comment

Feel your pain Chris. Had 2 pallets of fruit not picked up yesterday evening. This fruit was carefully picked, pre-cooled and packed in the shortest possible time to deliver the freshest and best quality product we can. Problem - transport company did not come. Nothing we can do about it. We had phoned twice to ask when it would be picked up. Promises, promises. Third time - sorry the truck has gone. Agent had pre-sold this fruit. Hes not happy. Buyers not happy. We are not happy.

Comment

My father managed a local courier depot for the second half of his working life. He worked very hard to keep his drivers honest and do a good job locally. When he was promoted to a state manager...very quickly demanded his old job back. He never explicitly said so but I believe a big part was he could keep "his neck of the woods" honest locally but suddenly found himself being part of things he could not control on a state level and was not happy.

Some of the stories of drivers he had to fire were amazing. At least he was always able to get rid of the dishonest ones, but never were they successful in a criminal prosecution. He would tell of stories where drivers were on camera loading item X at one stop, then on camera again unloading their van at the next stop but item X was not there. Driver would declare they had made no stops in between, no accidents, no anything...the item just disappeared!

Worst one was, had a camera installed in the office, caught driver on camera stealing money - got off in court. Had a security company lace some cash with a substance that shows up under infra-red light and put it in the cash drawer (legitimate users of cash drawer told to use a different one). Money goes, same guy has substance on his hands - no other employees have substance on their hands - again gets off in court! All he could do was fire him.

I am amazed the industry is still so bad. Surely someone can work out how to keep the thieves to a minimum, and the destruction too!

Come on Scoota Gal!

Comment

Originally posted by 59687F6667606B6670090 link=1266990817/11#11 date=1267056093
                          Some of the stories of drivers he had to fire were amazing. At least he was always able to get rid of the dishonest ones, but never were they successful in a criminal prosecution. He would tell of stories where drivers were on camera loading item X at one stop, then on camera again unloading their van at the next stop but item X was not there. Driver would declare they had made no stops in between, no accidents, no anything...the item just disappeared!

Worst one was, had a camera installed in the office, caught driver on camera stealing money - got off in court. Had a security company lace some cash with a substance that shows up under infra-red light and put it in the cash drawer (legitimate users of cash drawer told to use a different one). Money goes, same guy has substance on his hands - no other employees have substance on their hands - again gets off in court! All he could do was fire him.

So true... Have seen both and even with GPS and loggers they still claim all sorts of excuses.. I guess a small tracking device could be hidden in side the machine, but then when it appears in some ones house... Proving who did what is not so easy.

We have used dyes and other materials and the same result in effect.. Hard to prove in court to get a full conviction and even when fired or they resign ... Ya have to be careful when providing a reference.. We had a manager get taken to court by an ex employee as to what he said about the ex employee in a reference call. PS. It was recorded, so he could not say he did not say it... The issue was he could not prove it.. Thus ended up in court... And the ex employee got assistance in finding another job.. Last I heard he got the sack for like behaviour.

Come on Scoots... Need a driver in Brisbane ? I can do an EST on equipment at time of drop off ;D

Maybe TG can assist in Sydney

Comment

Originally posted by 446B62607748646B64626068606B71050 link=1266990817/12#12 date=1267056858
                            Ya have to be careful when providing a reference..
                            A bit OT but a classic barbed reference line would be:

"He left the job as he arrived: fired with enthusiasm"

Comment

youve got buckleys of getting GPS signal from inside an espresso machine, unless the antenna is poking outside, without being noticed then you have interface problems, live tracking will require an interface......3g connection? Youd prolly have to remove the boiler to fit it in ;D an ibrick would do the trick, that in conjunction with the tracker would nearly cost as much as the machine wholesale!

I am lucky to never have experienced any problems with freight.....touch wood, but i feel for those who deal with this crap everyday.......

cheers
                              warren

Comment

Working...
                              X