Repair/rebuild GiCar units and Controllers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair/rebuild GiCar units and Controllers

Some might say - Autofills are remove & replace, not remove & repair.

Now if ya having to repair as part of a billing job; at todays labour charges etc I can see why, understand and support the, Swap it out approach.

With some of teh newer ones teh surface mount components mean that unless ya set up for it.. Even more time and mucking about and Validating and testing can be a pain.

However:

With some spare time on my hands and getting back on teh bench... I am getting off on revisiting any number of my bench skills. Further more there only appears to be one or two people with electronic skill sets on CS (or that are willing to admit) and thus happy to offer what assistance I can.

Thus; if ya have any old / dead / sus GiCar units and Controllers just hanging around ;D I am happy to have then and look at them as part of my own personal development :-)

Should you be doing a project or rebuild and want / need a unit repaired... Then happy to provide my time for nics..

Note: FoFi is the only T&C I perform under.

This is about the CS community assisting each other - not making $$$$

Re: Repair/rebuild GiCar units and Controllers

Originally posted by 7E51585A4D725E515E585A525A514B3F0 link=1267748412/0#0 date=1267748412
    my own personal development
    Originally posted by 7E51585A4D725E515E585A525A514B3F0 link=1267748412/0#0 date=1267748412
    my time for nics..
    This is about the CS community assisting each other - not making $$$$
    Noone suggesting you do this stuff for profit are they AM? that would be a silly assumption and they would be mistaken

Your a giver through and through

Sorry i cant help you out, dont even know what they are ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 5155736A6A6F706768060 link=1267748412/1#1 date=1267751219
      Sorry i cant help you out, dont even know what they are
      Ya lucky then..

In most machines there are some electrical control :-)

While many may only have a GiCar that manages Autofills etc some also have some high tec boards as well.

"the autofill controller exists in one form or another in most prosumer coffee machines using an HX system, or where simpler control of a non HX system is desired. The Gicar and Giemmie boxes are the most common although you will find other makes of these controllers. They are a very simple logic circuit and a few relays to control the "automatic functions" of espresso machines…..safety, element protection etc…"

for eg. http://www.coffeeparts.com/rancilio/700737.htm

or previously...

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1131342094 for eg

Comment

Considering the cost of a replacement AM this is a great idea. Its better than throwing the old one in landfill.

Comment

I have 2 projects on the go at the moment and have been going for some time because of the lack of info or capability of people to even look at let alone repair these units the cost to buy new is crazy.
          1 machine is a single group boema which has a Gicar controler and an auto fill unit i dont know but i suspect both may need repair
          The other is a Grimac Ten single group which has a Giemme controler / auto fill unit in one. i cannot find any info at all on this unit.
          If you would be prepared to have a look I would be much appreciated
          Send me a PM

Comment

Originally posted by 6972736442507C71717C6F791D0 link=1267748412/4#4 date=1270256690
            I have 2 projects on the go at the moment and have been going for some time because of the lack of info or capability of people to even look at let alone repair these units the cost to buy new is crazy.
            1 machine is a single group boema which has a Gicar controler and an auto fill unit i dont know but i suspect both may need repair
            The other is a Grimac Ten single group which has a Giemme controler / auto fill unit in one. i cannot find any info at all on this unit.
            If you would be prepared to have a look I would be much appreciated
            Send me a PM
            PM Sent..

I subscribe to helping out where possible... It is not a money making activity in any way.

If it was I would spend some time and set up a test beds with fake Sensors etc etc and a load. But that is work..

Once had a going concern as FFIndustries... IT and Electronics focused - In a nut shell... All care but no responsibility and was focused at Last ditched recovery / repair......

However Too many people expect Miraculous Intervention and things to be raised from teh dead.. I am not that good and my contacts do not like having to provide specials for every tom dick and harry.. Thus in teh end I just gave it away as a bad joke.

Comment

Caffine Junky

Guess what...

Can not find ya post or how it came about but..... :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

That Control box has a single faulty part and I hope to be able to obtain a direct replacement or OEM in a week or two. Values are easy... Size and ensuring it is 100% or better as to manufactures specs are the issues. Not much space in that little box.

Care to give us a heads up as to which machine it was from; thus others may be able to know if it is suitable for their needs...

Comment

Good to hear AM although also a little annoying considering I just forked out $330 for a new box.

It came from an ECM Giotto.

Comment

Originally posted by 47464C5F41445E2D0 link=1267748412/7#7 date=1273578667
                  Good to hear AM although also a little annoying considering I just forked out $330 for a new box.

It came from an ECM Giotto.  

OK.... Thus any one else with the same problem should contact you, in the first instance  ;D

Will advise when parts have landed and unit has been tested...

Now, I understand the cost of a new unit.....  

I also understand that for many suppliers / service groups; the term  "board jockey" is direct and to the point.

In the medical field or defence or Airlines etc...  Do you have a system up and going in a few min or possibly wait days or more for an old style tec to be found who understands electronics and if the parts can be found and if the repair can be validated prior to re install...

For a part that may be 10K, 20k or even 100K - Guess what .... Idiocracy is alive and being supported every day.

Being a big cynic...  Most of the GiCar / Controll units are so basic a grad 9 student doing basic electrical theory should be able to fault find in 5 to 10 min...  OK... A bit rough... Lets say 30min to find and identify if a replacement part is available  8-)

When looking at yours... Hardest part was getting the cover off  ;D  ( remember going blind and of a night time)

The issue is that 1hr labour plus parts may not be so profitable and or the skill sets are not there... Will any admit... NO.....  

Just look at the issues with Sunbeam and others when it comes to servicing...   Commercial stuff is nickel and dime as to the level of complexity of the parts (in fact it is not complex in any manner)...  Now the computer controlled stuff and feedback ccts etc OPPS that is now out of reach of 90% of the so called Coffee service people.  How many do surface mount repairs.. A few at best..  Maybe  :  

Thus units are off line while BOARDS are found and swapped out.

For that matter, many in the medical field have lost it as well... Board jockies...

But myself and a number of other hard core old school people refuse to knuckle under.. But the newbys dont know, what they dont know..  So unless ya an old school  qualified Radio and TV tec - dont bother commenting.

Now: back to you..

1: Pay $330 for a new part with 12 months or 90 day warranty ??  Not sure what people offer...

2: Pay $150 to $175 for a repaired part with say 30 day warranty - and ya may have to wait for 10 days...

Thus there is a company in the US that do an exchange on all GiCar and control units and offer cheep rates / warranty etc etc... Due to numbers, they can afford to have items on stock, build simple test beds to validate without having the exact coffee machine ( tis only a few inputs and very basic at that).

Further more; when they do not have, they will obtain and still provide a item at their exchange rate.  Thus build customer client base and respect...

Could ya do it here... YES: but not so profitable for many reasons and thus no one will take it on.

END of rant... Idiocracy will beat us all in the end.

Comment

Part of the world today I guess AM, nearly everything is disposable.  The guy who fixed my machine (he used to work for a sponsor) has repaired some units but said its just too time consuming and doesnt necessarily work out any more economical.  

I wonder if any techs out there hold on to the old units and try to repair them at a later stage or if they just end up being binned?

I may have to consider doing basic electronics and electrical courses, may learn to repair things myself and stop getting zapped.

Comment

Originally posted by 27262C3F21243E4D0 link=1267748412/9#9 date=1273623277
                      Part of the world today I guess AM, nearly everything is disposable.  The guy who fixed my machine (he used to work for a sponsor) has repaired some units but said its just too time consuming and doesnt necessarily work out any more economical.  

I wonder if any techs out there hold on to the old units and try to repair them at a later stage or if they just end up being binned?

I may have to consider doing basic electronics and electrical courses, may learn to repair things myself and stop getting zapped.

A few years in TAFE and on a bench would give you a reasonable level of skills; if ya have teh passion.

PS.

$5 for the part... But no longer available ;D ;D ;D ;D

HOWEVER

Same size and better specs is available - Price and availability (waiting fo an e-mail)

Your call as to if ya want the item returned OR your happy for me to hold it...

Comment

Update.

RL 30 ECM Giotto GiCar up and running...

Thanks CJ... $7.89 I think from RS.

RL 40/$ESS/F Bezzera unit...

Thanks to the Un named supplier... $6.35 Jacar.

So CJ... If yours ever fails again.. (Common part.. Fails in a number of other top end and basic white goods) You loan unit is with me.

Comment

AM are you willing to sell the replacement part. Could you PM me the cost of a repair vs you selling me the part. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by 151708150013040D0D08610 link=1267748412/12#12 date=1291710117
                            AM are you willing to sell the replacement part.  Could you PM me the cost of a repair vs you selling me the part.  Thanks in advance.  
                            I do not sell replacement parts for any thing...

I can assist in some circumstances where my skills or understanding of  electronic repairs might be relevant. In some cases I may be able to repair and then an arrangement or a hand shake may be all that is required.

If you know what part is dead, then myself and others may know where OR if a part can be had from a sponsor or other supplier...

How about you give some more info as to your unit and the issues your having ?

Comment

Hi,

Just wondering what detail information is around for the Gicar units?

There seems to be a lot of them failing, and many people asking

questions. But for all my Google searching I can not find real

information with their common faults and required fixs?

It would seem from my reading that the older Gicar units were prone

to failure and repairers are replacing then with a Proelind box as its

much better... not to mention newer machines that originally had the

Gicar are now being built with the Proelind. Which would suggest it had

known faults.

Please bear in mind I have only gathered this information from the

net, and not my personal experience.

Now the reason I ask all for this is because I have the opportunity to

buy a Giotto E61 Rocket for cheap as the owner has been quoted $750

to replace the stuffed Gicar box, vacuum valve, and a couple of other

pieces.

Now as a pretty capable handy man i know I can buy the box and

other parts and sort it out myself for at least half the price. but should

I have to even buy the box? With so many failing I would have thought

documented repairs would be common?

At this point in time Im assuming their particular issues are no worse

than common dry caps and worn out relays???

I look forward to your information, replies and thoughts,

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X