iPhone 4 snobs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPhone 4 snobs?

I bought mine this morning on a plan and was thinking I might takes some hi-def video on it and some still shots and see what I can get out of it .. Ill post some pictures later.
    In the mean time - any coffee snobs own an iPhone 4 yet or plan to?

Re: iPhone 4 snobs?

AM calls them I-bricks

I dont plan to get one as
    I only use my phone to make phone calls and to check the time :

And about 20 text messages a year

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 312836382A3C2F306A6C6C5D0 link=1280495110/0#0 date=1280495110
      I bought mine this morning on a plan and was thinking I might takes some hi-def video on it and some still shots and see what I can get out of it .. Ill post some pictures later.
      if there were any left i would grab one!

any truth to the antenna problems?

Comment

Originally posted by 333B323C2B2B2C305E0 link=1280495110/2#2 date=1280498841
        Originally posted by 312836382A3C2F306A6C6C5D0 link=1280495110/0#0 date=1280495110
        if there were any left i would grab one!

NEVER...

And yep.

Even the current I-Bricks have issues with reception... Ya just need to have the test equipment to turn the observations into hard data. Or do a side by side with other hardware..

As I say... Its an app store... Not a phone.

Comment

Originally posted by 4F474E405757504C220 link=1280495110/2#2 date=1280498841
          No issues yet.
          Lose 1 out of 4 bars of reception when I "deathgrip" it. Otherwise so far its falwless..
          Not to be a fanboy or anything - but like Apple has tried to show - it happens to most phones.
          My 3 year old Nokia slider phone loses bars when I grip it..
          Effectively speaking it is never affected when youre using it so theres really nothing to complain about.

Comment

Went into a store a couple of weeks back looking to upgrade my mobile, this 20 something sales person gave me the spiel on the latest and greatest, proudly pointing out all of the attributes of the latest $1000 plus electronic offerings, but failed to mention any thing about using them as a phone, he seemed a little nonplussed when I asked about this aspect, and explained that there was a whole lot more to them than making phone calls : needless to say I still have my 4 year old Nokia, its simple, works like a charm, and owes me nothing, its a phone.

Comment

Originally posted by 69706E6072647768323434050 link=1280495110/0#0 date=1280495110
              I might takes some hi-def video on it and some still shots and see what I can get out of it .. Ill post some pictures later.
              Congrats on your new toy.
              It will be great to see real user feedback after you have had a play.

What was your previous phone Luke?

Comment

When the first i-phone came out the only thing it seemed to have that my Nokia didnt, was a touchscreen and my phone did a few things it didnt.

I now use a Blackberry after many years of Nokias and now that Im used to it it does what I want.

I dont need a touchscreen as Im forever cleaning the screen on this one after accidentally touching it.

Like KK I rarely text, though with all the free SMS on my plan I think Im up to 30 text a year now.

I use my BB to make calls, hold all my contacts details and send the occasional SMS and email when it suits me.

My daughter works for a telco and she, my son, my wife and I all use BBs now.

Shes 20 something but doesnt think the i-brick is the gadget to have.

Comment

My iPhone4 is on order--to be delivered in about 3 weeks.

This is an upgrade from my now 2 year old iPhone3. The new one will get better reception in the country (it accesses all the MHz options) which is really useful when out on the motorcycle, and will be considerably faster. On the tiny plan I use I make very few calls or texts. Telstra gives it a blue tick for excellent reception. Just dont short the antenna!

I really consider it a vestpocket computer, and use it as such. Scheduling, diary, contacts, email, news and web browsing (especially when clients dont show and I have to wait an hour for the next), games, music, digital books, videos, camera, GPS, notes, etc.

And its a toy in itself--jailbreaks, playing with apps, ...

Greg
                  Oh--it makes calls as well?

Comment

I too was a phone is a phone guy til I was talked in to getting an i-phone...

... Im afraid to say, but its pretty damn good. I use for stuff I never thought I would.

I find those blackberry keypads useless imo.

Comment

My previous phone was a Nokia slider phone which I had for 3 years.
                      I didnt buy the original phone 3 years ago because I knew I wouldnt call or txt enough to make up for paying 49 dollars a month.

I average about 200+ text messages a month and not even 40 phone calls a month.. With the plans they offer now I find it to have more then enough credit and plenty of data.
                      Because I text mostly, I needed a phone that could keep up with my fingers. My Nokia would literally lag several words or even a sentence behind me as I typed using the old T9 predictive texting. The iPhone is SO quick to respond to your touch its pretty amazing. Unlike other touch screens its heat receptive and glass so it doesnt miss-detect due to uneven pressure etc. Being able to turn it sideways to text on a decent keyboard is excellent.
                      THe other excellent thing about texting on an iphone is being able to read your texts as conversation bubbles for each person (like on an IM). No more accidentally hitting the red button and "Saving to Drafts".
                      I found blackberrys and other smart phones too small to type on. Sure they have a qwerty keyboard but the keys are so tiiny. If youre not a texting person then the blackberry might be for you.

I use my iphone for EVERYTHING... Having so much data in a plan allows me to just browse the web, play online games, facebook, weather, news and all that stuff any time I want which happens to be often considering Im part of Gen Y - the "social" generation.

Dad has an iPhone 3GS which he only bought a month ago because the plan was so cheap and his old Sony Ericsson died. He didnt necessarily want an iphone, but at the time it was the best deal around. He uses his for purely phone calls and not much else. He hasnt even activated the 3G data yet..

In regards to the antenna issues - they dont exist unless you want it to. Grip it tight and cover the antenna join and you might lose a couple of bars of reception.. But it hurts to hold it in such a fashion so why would you? On that note - its a $800 phone - why wouldnt you put a case on it!?

After getting the iPhone I dont think Ill ever go back to a standard "it makes phone calls" phone.

Comment

I personally wouldnt go with apple after the IOS 4.0 bungle, they really have stuffed it for 3G and a lot of 3GS customers now looking at downgrading back to IOS 3.X , im looking at the HTC desire for my next phone......hmmmm 1 Gb ram! 5 Meg camera, a rapidly growing app store, with the option to return apps free of charge......1gb processor i think too!.....in a phone!, and all the customization you could get in a hacked iphone....standard! thats just me though......and prolly AM too! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 494D6B727277687F701E0 link=1280495110/11#11 date=1280560408
                          I personally wouldnt go with apple after the IOS 4.0 bungle, they really have stuffed it for 3G and a lot of 3GS customers now looking at downgrading back to IOS 3.X , im looking at the HTC desire for my next phone......hmmmm 1 Gb ram! 5 Meg camera, a rapidly growing app store, with the option to return apps free of charge......1gb processor i think too!.....in a phone!, and all the customization you could get in a hacked iphone....standard! thats just me though......and prolly AM too! ;D
                          YEP...

As to reception.. Some may be OK None of our service rems can get reception in areas that we need... And no we do not all have mitts for hands.

Two phones side by side and swap sims and we can get a working system Vs not... Evedance not marketing :-)

Further more as we need a real tool, unless teh I-brick is Broken / hacked OR a payed app installed... We can not use it to do some of teh most basic things - Yes I am an MSCP and and real IT person not a script kiddy ;D

Thus teh HTC is a better option for us as to usability..

Now get rid of teh MAC OS and that brick could become a tile

Comment

I have always been a nokia fan till my boss brought me a 3GS a couple of months ago for my work phone - now im looking at selling my nokia and getting the new Iphone4 as my personal phone.

I heard there was alot of probs with the 4.0 upgrade for my phone so I didnt upgrade till last fortnight when the 4.01 upgrade came out - havent had a problem at all.

Comment

all interesting and valid points

People I know who have been BB, WM and then iPhone users have all jumped to the Desire, but then went back to BB or iPhone.

Personally, I am on my second blackberry and I love the qwerty keyboard plus response times and ease of use. It does everything i need it to, and then some.

In saying that, I also want to give an iPhone a run and see what the hype is about. It wont be my business phone, thats reserved for the BB.

And yes, I am a techie. MCP (plus a bunch of others) and an IT Manager earning my stripes by building and breaking real world solutions.

Comment

Working...
                              X