Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another use for bread maker - making pizza dough!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another use for bread maker - making pizza dough!

You read correctly - by making easy pizza dough on your bread maker you will amazed how well you can make pizzas at a very affordable price.

Example, by buying your flour at Aldi at around $1.10 per kilo it will cost around 70 cents to make about 4 pizza bases (5 cups for 4 pizzas). I use Lowans dry yeast from a container (keep it in the freezer - itll last over a year) to get the show going.

Some dont like handling dough and, yes, its not easy at first. But you can divide the dough into 4, place a portion onto an oiled tray (any shape) and push it out with your fingers or a jar. I use a rolling pin and get it virtually the right dough size every time - but it wasnt like that at first!

Once done, add your Dolimio or Raguletto sauce over the top (or diluted tomato paste), and some cheese and then your favourite toppings. Something simple as sliced tomato, olives and fresh basil and oregano can make a great meat free pizza. Or you can add some chopped up bacon and a lightly beaten egg over the top - that is one amazing pizza for very little outlay and guaranteed to get fussy eaters eating.

I bought myself a pizza oven few years back - the one that looks like a clam shell - around $60; these do a great job. Otherwise, set your over to 220-240 and cook for around 12 to 16 mins, depending on the thickness of the dough, the amount of topping and the depth of the over heat.

Once all the ingredients are purchased you will find most pizzas will be made for under 2 dollars. Go light on the cheese as thats the gut and wallet buster - with pizzas, less is more.

Re: Another use for bread maker - making pizza dough!

So the setting on my breadmaker that says - Pizza Dough is for Pizza Dough?
    Freaky.

Comment

You know, I reckon youre onto something! Unfortunately, mine just say dough. But after struggling to do dough by hand, it was nice to use the machine for ease of use and a beautifully kneaded dough. Its not as hard as one would think, but the first time would be a challenge for many and from there it just gets easier.

Comment

Originally posted by 7D5F53535153595E5F300 link=1291611132/0#0 date=1291611132
        I use Lowans dry yeast from a container (keep it in the freezer - itll last over a year) to get the show going.
        Dried yeast?! This is the yeast equivalent of ground coffee bricks from the supermarket! Hunt down some fresh yeast and youll see the light. Good delis and health food shops are some of the places youll find it.

Comment

oh dam, now youve wrecked everything! Just when I thought I had something over you guys along comes someone with the real method and ingredients.

Tell me, are you in the baking scene? Also, Ive heard that there are a few old bakeries around where the yeast they use goes as far back as the late 1800s! How they achieve that, from what I know, is that they never fully empty/deplete their yeast mixture. When it gets low they add a new batch of yeast, and in doing so they retain something from the previous yeasts - its an old bakers method of constantly improving the baked bread. Does anyone know more on that matter? Its sounds like a romantic wives tale, but it appears to have merit and is commonplace in European bakeries and also in some Australian ones.

Comment

One of the keys to a great pizza base like what you get as in a pizza you buy at the shops is to use some semonilla flour to the ingredients, spread plenty of oil onto the base, then use a good well pre-heated pizza stone. Without a pizza stone, it willl be doughy because of the ingredients sitting on the base, so you need something that transfers heat in a manner to cook the base from underneath. A normal pizza tray will not do. Plonk your pizza straight onto the stone without a tray, and there you have it. A bit like how you would shove in a pizza onto the floor of a wood fired oven and get that nice texture.

Gary

Comment

i like making my dough by hand, something very therapeutic about the kneading i reckon

Originally posted by 67626D6A666F2E70626D030 link=1291611132/3#3 date=1291617024
              Dried yeast?! This is the yeast equivalent of ground coffee bricks from the supermarket! Hunt down some fresh yeast and youll see the light. Good delis and health food shops are some of the places youll find it.
              i tried to find fresh yeast a few times recently and cant anymore
              so use the dried, seems even many bakers are buying it dried in 5kg bags and many looked at me like a weirdo when i asked about fresh yeast...

i use lots of yeast in my brewing its amazing stuff :-*
              bread, pizza, beer, spirits......

Comment

yes, after watching Jamie Oliver Ive started adding about 20% semolina flour to the mix.  The end result appears to be a fluffier and crunchier base with a slightly better colour.  I even added polenta once, but it was just tough and hard!

With yeast, i am willing to go the fresh route, but the results with the dry yeast to date have been exceptional - to the point were Ive had people say "theyre the best pizzas Ive ever tasted".  Im not so sure, as Im not biased and appreciate any well cooked pizza, and really notice a pizza if the base is well cooked in a good oven.

The stone base theory is spot on, because it absorbs the ovens heat and then bombards that stored heat into the cold pizza base.  The end result is crusty pizza base with well cooked toppings.  Without the stone base youll end up with a cooked pizza top (caramelised cheese) and a droopy and white pizza base.

The clamshell pizza oven has a stone base - theres an element under the stone base, and theres an element in the upper level for the toppings.  Instead of needing around 16 minutes to cook a pizza you only need around 6-7 minutes with the bench top pizza oven.  

Type Tempo Pizza oven to find the red unit that Im using.  Mistral also has a good unit where the stone base rotates!

Happy eating!

Comment

Ive done pizzas by hand a few times now myself now - hand mixed then placed on top of the PC for 20 minutes to rise ;D

Unfortunately, I dont have a pizza stone and so havent manged to get a crisp enough base for my liking yet. Might look into the semolina flour idea as a stop-gap measure.

On the topic of cooking, was hoping to trial the Santas Buttons recipe over the weekend, but I found out (just after the shopping trip) I didnt have enough butter >

Comment

Sometimes fresh yeast gives an inconsistent result. Dry yeast is a lot more consistent.

Comment

I worked at a large pizza chain for 6 years.
                      I found making pizzas at home a PITA.
                      Yes it may be cheaper (if you use Coles "Meals under $10" maths) but you havent counted your time and effort.

Or I could just be suffering from shell shock.

Comment

Using the breadmaker also means less washing up.
                        You get away from dragging out the dough mixer and its simply a matter of adding the correct amount.

Some machines speciify water first, some flours first.

I also use the machine to knead bread dough, then i simply prove, shape n bake.

Btw, to me its important to develop flavour by not speeding up the proving process, less yeast, good quality flours and a long first and second proving does wonders to the taste, just like bread.
                        The bread i make at home has better flavour than major bakeries bread because time develops flavour.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by 3334600 link=1291611132/8#8 date=1291637575
                          On the topic of cooking, was hoping to trial the Santas Buttons recipe over the weekend, but I found out (just after the shopping trip) I didnt have enough butter
                          Do give it a try, its a recipe i enjoy making at this time of year and i,m happy to reveal it to everyone

Check that post again as there is a slight change to the recipe.

Comment

Thanks Gary. I initially was getting the yeast to start hard and fast by mixing in some very warm water and a table spoon of sugar - what I had in 10 minutes was like a cream coloured beer, complete with frothy head. At least I knew the yeast had been activated.

But Ive since seen some shows where they deliberately slow down the proofing process to better develop the flavours, just like you said. Some bakers will have this process go over 2 days - rising, kneading, proofing, over and over again until they have what resembles a very elastic dough that doesnt stick to anything. So Ill give that a go, with less yeast and just cool water.

The cooking stones are a great idea, and at around $12 theyre good value too. But placing the prepared pizza onto the very hot stone is not easy, and you must prepare the pizza base so it slides off the board, like using flour on the base. Or get a shiny stainless steel paddle to help slide it on. I have 2 very thin plywood boards - I place them together and the pizza over the seam of the boards, which you then lift the pizza to the stone and separate the boards.

Fun stuff and, like I said, cost effective as well.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X