Hi-Fi--SGR speakers anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi-Fi--SGR speakers anyone?

Im currently hunting for some new stereo speakers and the local reviews of the local (Melbourne) speaker manufacturer SGR Audio have really stirred up my interest.

Has anyone here heard them, or of the company?

BTW--They offered to pick me up at the airport, take me to their home for a demo, feed me, wine me, deliver me back to the airport, and... if I purchase, to refund my air fare!!!!

Greg

Re: Hi-Fi--SGR speakers anyone?

I just looked at their webpage, and given the prices theyre asking, Im not surprised.

My car cost less!

Comment

Because of this page alone: http://sgraudio.com.au/products/power_cables/tb_cable.html
      I wouldnt touch them.

Im sure they make good speakers, dont get me wrong, but it sounds like its 10% speaker cost, 10% buttering up customer cost, 10% marketing cost, 70% profit.

Comment

Originally posted by 77686A70697C6B6A7D050 link=1301384923/2#2 date=1301385848
        but it sounds like its 10% speaker cost, 10% buttering up customer cost, 10% marketing cost, 70% profit.
        Pretty much standard pricing model for almost anything I would have thought :

They get good reviews but out of my price range

Comment

Well....

If youve got the money to waste spend on the products listed there, go for it. Mind you, nothing is worth that sort of money; unless you associate the word Audiophile with Ridiculous.... :

Mal.

Comment

A little late now but OMaras once auctioned off an upmarket Hi-Fi shop when the owner retired.
            Some very high quality stuff went for ridiculously cheap bids.

Comment

Depends what you value I guess. The power cables mentioned above are expensive but are offered as they perform at about the level of ones costing maybe 2-3x the amount.

SGR make fantastic speakers which are active, meaning that they come with amps. Good amplification can be a huge cost so this alone will save you.

Having heard these speakers, I picked them over speakers and amps costing over 5x the amount.

Either way at this price point, you owe it to yourself to audition as many speakers as you can. All I can say is that the SGR family are genuinely good people with incredible passion and detail for what they do.

For an in-depth review by one of the guys at Stereo Net Australia, refer to this link: http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/show...Speaker-Review

Comment

Im sorry - but shielded power cables??? - OK the lead between the plug and appliance may be shielded, but what about the wiring in your walls and ceiling?  What do you mean by perform.  What difference will you hear?? 

Comment

Value for money seems to be totally individual.

After all, in the past few years Ive spent in excess of $5000.00 just so I can enjoy less than 10 minutes a day drinking good coffee!

My last speakers/amplifier averaged out at less than $2 a day, and they were seen as ridiculously expensive by nearly everyone. Given that, I spend way more than 10 minutes a day listening to good music. 

Thanks chokobo, in my conversations with SGR the passion certainly comes through. Ive been auditioning speakers, off and on, for more than 45 years, and the reviews I have read on Stereo Net and elsewhere certainly indicate to me that a listen would be worthwhile.

Its nice to know that a fellow coffee snob agrees.

Greg

Comment

Greg, I didnt want to infer that you were wasting your money. If the coin was spare, Id love to drop a decent whack on a dedicated music setup.

What sort of good music do you spend your time listening to? And what format does your music come in? CD, vinyl, USB?

Comment

Originally posted by 232C2036242323410 link=1301384923/9#9 date=1301444643
                      Greg, I didnt want to infer that you were wasting your money. If the coin was spare, Id love to drop a decent whack on a dedicated music setup.

What sort of good music do you spend your time listening to? And what format does your music come in? CD, vinyl, USB?
                      Hi Big Louie,

No offence taken Big Louie, from any of the comments so far. Most people I know (except the other *nuts* here of course) think that anything beyond a spoon and a jar of instant is wasting money on coffee!

As far as music goes I listen to almost anything except opera and some classical, and some of the less musical modern stuff.

I grew up with rock and roll and still have my first LP. I added jazz to the rock, branched out into folk, blues, and some alternative. My most recent trend has been in the area of "adult oriented music"--some by new artists, some by musicians at or beyond retirement age; and filling out my collection of records by artists I already know. Try "Worrisome Heart" by Melody Gardot for some lovely jazz vocals, or Fiona Apples "Tidal". Im currently playing "Nicks Bump" by Ben Sidran, and "Red Octopus" by Jefferson Starship.

As far as sources go--LP, CD, and FLAC streamed via an Airport Express to the music systems DAC. Some of the very high bit rate mp3 is just listenable, but I much prefer lossless, and LP would be my favourite.

Greg

Comment

thats true about the shielded power cables. if you wanted perfect sine waves then you would buy a power regenerator. the point is that there are often noisy and bad quality cables which emit RFI and all that junk which can have an adverse effect on your gear. the improvements with any kind of cable, to me anyway, is that it doesnt improve the sound, but it does the least damage to a perfect signal. what you would hear is possibly more air, separation and bass definition compared to a noisy unshielded cable. i believe that is congruent with SGRs philosophy - they wont recommend any extremely expensive cables, you just need the minimum good quality one which is going to do its job. either way, most good audio companies should allow you to borrow the cables for some time and from there you can decide if there is a perceivable difference.

totally agree with your comments Greg re time spent listening to music and drinking/making coffee. haha the best is when you can listen to good music while drinking your coffee, or a good wine or single malt. what DAC do you use Greg? only problem with upgrading speakers to ones the calibre of SGRs is that they are extremely revealing so they do deserve a good source. rubbish in, rubbish out! its a little like the importance of a grinder ;D

Comment

This link seems to be someone who knows what they are talking about.

http://www.empiricalaudio.com/computer-audio/technical-papers/myths-and-snake-oil

Comment

Greg, Ive got a reasonable theatre setup, but when setting up for audio only do you just have the two main speakers? Or is there a need for surround, centres and subs?

Comment

Steve, agreed that the Empirical Audio guys know what they are talking about. Makes you wonder why they offer this: http://www.empiricalaudio.com/cables/power-cables

At the end of the day, every system is different and everyones ears are different too. If after a trial, you think you can pick a difference then by all means they add value to you. Others though just like.. the bling ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X