Headphones Snobs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headphones Snobs?

Just wondering if there any audiophile amongst the coffeesnobs that is into headphones..?

Considering purchasing a new tube amp & wonder if any snobs have had experience with LittleDot or DarkVoice amps..?

Thanks

Re: Headphones Snobs?

Afraid no experience with tube amps friskhr, but i am into headphones in a big way.

My audiophile stable includes the Stax electrostatic headphones partnered with the SRM-Mk2 dedicated amp which can be connected directly to the source, in my case the CD player utilising its supplied interconnecting cables.
    Being an open ended design, it creates a natural sounding environment, meaning it doesnt sound like youre listening to sound thats "closed in".
    Therefore any ambient noise from outside can still be heard.
    I listen to it mainly at night for that reason.

Its frighteningly revealing of the recording studio and the flaws of the recording.

Made in Japan by a company not into main stream audio.
    Koetsu is another brand that comes to mind.

Gary at G

Comment

Thanks Gary,

Ill look them up. Im only considering upgrading due to my new AKG K702 and existing set-up i.e. listening to it through my DAC/ Headphones Amp is not doing them justice.

It is hard to tell if I like it when I cant really listen to them though.

Cheers Gary.

Comment

Originally posted by 50445F455D5E44360 link=1301609091/2#2 date=1301627709
        Im only considering upgrading due to my new AKG K702 and existing set-up i.e. listening to it through my DAC/ Headphones Amp is not doing them justice.
        Which DAC/Amp are you using now?

The DAC1 is obviously a good choice, if a bit expensive. The LittleDot is very popular and from what I hear works well with the AKG701/702 (I havent tried that myself).

Alternatively, you could try the Zero DAC/Amp which works very well for me. Ive replaced the DAC and output opamps on mine with OPA627s and [gotta check], but these days the Zero comes with OPA627s by default. It is ridiculously cheap (around US$100 plus shipping) and extraordinary value for money. I bought it as an interim solution for use with my Alessandro MS-Pro a couple of years ago but Ive since shelved plans for further headphone amp upgrades.

Cheers
        Steffen.

Comment

LoL Steffen..

I nearly bought the Benchmark DAC1 before stumbling onto the Zero with OPA627s by accident.

Have been using the Zero for a while now. Just not sure if it is doing the AKG any justice

Thanks
          Friskhr

Comment

I have no experience with tube amps, headphone or otherwise. Or at least not in the last 45 years.

I have two head/earphones I use semi-regularly--Grado SR 80s and Phonak Audeo PFE 112s for when its noisy outside.

My regular amp is a Headstage Arrow driven by the DAC in a Harman Kardon CD player. For portable use I have a Music Streamer II. Now retired is the HeadRoom Little amp. Both amps have a crossfeed circuit which I enjoy--except on binaural recordings.

Greg
            BTW--there is a free, high quality Cowboy Junkies concert "Live at the Ark" engineered for headphones, that Google should find easily. The free distribution is approved by CJ. BTW2--Cowboy Junkies are one of the ONLY bands to routinely approve of bootleg recordings!

Comment

Friskr,

I bought my Stax headphones second hand for a modest $1500 back in 1989.

They had also a black version with valve circuitry which obviously is more expensive.

Check the Stax website. Would be great if you can add the valve version to go with your valve/tube stable.

Greg, i used to have closed ended headphones. Once i got the Stax with its electrostatic open ended design, i could not look back

Theres nothing much to beat a nicely brewed cuppa and a musical journey for a couple of hours with a set of quality headphones on a quiet Sunday afternoon. Except for sex of course.

Gary at G

Comment

Originally posted by 3F2B302A32312B590 link=1301609091/4#4 date=1301688839
                Have been using the Zero for a while now. Just not sure if it is doing the AKG any justice
                Ah, I see. The AKGs are rather demanding of their amps arent they? A friend of mine has the Woo Audio 6 headphone amp and loves it (hes got Grado headphones, not AKG). Its all tubes, very minimalistic and not too pricey.

Cheers
                Steffen.

Comment

Originally posted by 322825243620383232410 link=1301609091/6#6 date=1301720984
                  I bought my Stax headphones second hand for a modest $1500 back in 1989.
                  Gary .. a touch over my budget at the moment. Im looking at a China made tube amp costing US$250 delivered - i.e. leaning towards the Little Dot Mk III.

Originally posted by 1235242727242F410 link=1301609091/7#7 date=1301729522
                  The AKGs are rather demanding of their amps arent they?
                  Yes Steffan. But problem remains I havent had anything else to plug the AKG in to verify if there is a sound difference using the Zero and a more "powerful" amp.

Comment

Interesting friskhr,
                    Do yo have alink to the Little Dot?

Comment

Originally posted by 42564D574F4C56240 link=1301609091/8#8 date=1301973781
                      But problem remains I havent had anything else to plug the AKG in to verify if there is a sound difference using the Zero and a more "powerful" amp.
                      What opamps do you have in the headphone amp section? For your high-ohm headphones the LM4562 would be a good match. So unless youve got those already they may well be worth a shot, just for the sake of comparison.

Cheers
                      Steffen.

Comment

Gary,

This is an external review of Little Dot

http://www.compudio.ca/2007/06/little-dot-mk-iii-exclusive-review.html

Mod: please delete if unacceptable.

I didnt post the actual link as it is a sale site. I dont think any commercial sale site is acceptable under the snobs rules.

Originally posted by 1B3C2D2E2E2D26480 link=1301609091/10#10 date=1301983172
                        What opamps do you have in the headphone amp section? For your high-ohm headphones the LM4562 would be a good match.
                        Steffen, Ive got no idea what opamps is applied. I bought it stock with the OPA627 and have done nothing extra to it. Thanks for the tip. Im not good with circuit stuff but will open it up tonight to have a quick look-see

Francis

Comment

Originally posted by 35213A20383B21530 link=1301609091/0#0 date=1301609091
                          Just wondering if there any audiophile amongst the coffeesnobs that is into headphones..?

Considering purchasing a new tube amp & wonder if any snobs have had experience with LittleDot or DarkVoice amps..?

Thanks
                          I am not into headphones per-say
                          This is a picture of my set

Audio-Technica ATH-W5000

KK

Comment

Nice KK. Im using the same. Are you using the HA5000 or a different amp with it?

Comment

Originally posted by 42494E4A4E434E210 link=1301609091/13#13 date=1301988417
                              Nice KK. Im using the same. Are you using the HA5000 or a different amp with it?
                              No I have a DAC with a headphone stage

Also can plug in to the HT amp for movies if I am disturbing the family
                              KK

Comment

Working...
                              X