PVRs, Topfield or Beyonwiz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVRs, Topfield or Beyonwiz?

Gday all, Im looking at the following Topfield TRF 7160 and Beyonwiz DP Lite PVRs. They are both about $400 and have very similar specs and do everything I want. Reviews say both are good units. I couldnt find any reviews comparing the two though. So I am mainly interested in the menu system and supplied remotes and how easy they are to use. Any opinions, personal or otherwise?

Thanks, Andrew 

Re: PVRs, Topfield or Beyonwiz?

You may want to try the link... maybe helpful

http://www.dtvforum.info/

Comment

Gday Andrew....

Weve had a Beyonwiz "DP - P2" for just going on 2 years and I love it. Never missed a beat in all that time and is so flexible in use that I have yet to discover something that I cant do with it. Output quality is superb, goes without saying really... 8-)

I imagine their "Lite" versions are as equally well engineered and manufactured and will fully live up to their feature list and specification....

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 5E5C48010104310 link=1303205363/0#0 date=1303205363
        Any opinions, personal or otherwise?
        Buy a Tivo!

Comment

Another vote for the Tivo here. Very easy to use and great set and forget features like seasons pass where you record a show once and it then continues to record each and every episode.

Comment

I have a homecast which I have generally been happy with. When I was looking to buy, the beyonwiz was the best option at the time if price hadnt been a consideration. IceTV integration was a plus, also the ongoing development and support from beyonwiz seem pretty good. Tivo just didnt do it for me due to the hookup with seven network.

Bear in mind tivo australia may not be around much longer.

Comment

I went the media center route with Ice TV in 2005 and have upgraded win7 and a few TB of storage. I run 2 x TV cards and have been glitch free.

Comment

Originally posted by 685D5057637F535A5A59593C0 link=1303205363/6#6 date=1303261644
                I went the media center route with Ice TV in 2005 and have upgraded win7 and a few TB of storage. I run 2 x TV cards and have been glitch free.
                Another option along these lines would be mythbuntu, which could be installed on a laptop along with roast monitor s/w so you can watch your programmes while roasting.

Comment

And the trouble with Tivo is you have to buy a $100 extra program if you want to be able to download a recorded program from TIVO to your computer or save it to a DVD.
                  Other than that they do the job well.

Comment

Ive had the Supernet SD unit from 2005 on ebay, followed by the Panworld HD 250Gb unit from 2008 also from ebay.  The first units still going strong (gave it to a family member), but the Panworld has given plenty of trouble with me having to replace a random capacitor on 3 separate occasions.  Each time the picture would pixelate and spit as if the signal was poor, and the clock would stop keeping time when on stand-by along with the digits being dull.  The faulty capacitors were on the powerboard, starving the unit of much needed voltage.  Identifying the culprits was easy with the bulging tops being the dead give away.  My mums Wintal had the same problem which only happened once since 2004.  All these generic type of boxes have been inflicted with these issues - some worst than others.  Apparently caused by the bad capacitor plague  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

But my Panworld has finally had enough with the hard drive doing what it wants - sometime it will record, sometimes it wont.  When on stand-by the hard drive will continue to run.  This time theres no obvious faulty capacitors - so Ill just have to replace the lot and go from there.  Anyway, Im looking at buying a media player; preferably one with a built in HD tuner.  Theres so many choices going around.

But from what Ive read, I suspect the Beyondwiz brand is the tried and trusted brand.

Try this site - it would be a good start http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/126

Comment

We have a TIVO and it is great. Really fast and easy to use. My olds have a sony HD twin tuner recorder and in comparison the sony is rubbish and hard to use. TIVO updates program info from the net not over the broadcast like most settops so that means it is always up to date. Caspa which is their movie service is RUBBISH. The concept is good but it is slow to browse and there arent many movies to choose from. After a few months and having watched the movies you wanted, their arent enough new movies on there that you can even spend your $25 a month subscription if you chose that package.

Downloading shows off the unit you cant blame TIVO for. Im guessing there are regulations in australia about recording and storing tv and throwing shows on DVD is probably not allowed. Pretty sure back in the day of VHS it was technically illegal to keep copies of shows/movies.

Catchoftheday was selling the beyonwiz yesterday for $299 but too late.

Comment

Another option is Sony PlayTV. If you have a PS3 in your house this is a single tuner unit as far as I know that plugs into your ps3 and only costs $100. PS3s only have small hard drives but the easiest option is to backup all saved game data etc to sonys online thing and replace the harddrive. Pretty much any laptop harddrive fits into the PS3 so for around $200 you could have a HDTV recorder with 1TB.

Comment

Originally posted by 556A6C6B7671405D7066737A1F0 link=1303205363/10#10 date=1303285303
                          Catchoftheday was selling the beyonwiz yesterday for $299 but too late.
                          I manage to have "caught" one of these, will see how it goes. Thanks for the info.

Andrew. 

Comment

Originally posted by 497670776A6D5C416C7A6F66030 link=1303205363/10#10 date=1303285303
                            Pretty sure back in the day of VHS it was technically illegal to keep copies of shows/movies.
                            Still is. Its safe to say that youd never get prosecuted for it though. When everyone in the country breaks the law...the law has failed.

Comment

That law was finally nipped in the bud some time last year in the name of common sense. Youre free to record as you wish providing you dont stretch the boundaries and broadcast your recordings to the public, online, whatever.

Comment

Working...
                              X