Oz to USA Price Parity...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oz to USA Price Parity...

Originally posted by 43607373785E45746F62606F010 link=1301294820/719#719 date=1305887610
    as the Breville people tell me they expect their largest potential market for the Dual Boiler is in the US, not Aus.
    would be interesting to know the USA price, I know the expobar minore III with rotary pump (expobar brewtus r in the usa) sells for $1600 US. The normal minore iii dual boiler with vib pump and tank is $1500 US, So how much will the breville cost in the usa to compete, Id hate to pay $1500 AU and the USA price is $1000, forget gst, thats 10%. This would be tricky for breviile, how not to make Australian customers feel gouged, but be cheap enough in the USA to compete. Hope there will be no consumer backlash as to why it is so much cheaper in the usa than Australia for an Australian designed product from an Australian company, and it aint taxes or freight, hmmm 110V is cheaper to make ? Great machine for the money ..... in the isolation of the Australian market and what other machines cost in Australia in comparison.

Re: Oz to USA Price Parity...

Originally posted by 797E6F6F7E697A6F7374767E1B0 link=1301294820/722#722 date=1305923400
    would be interesting to know the USA price
    US $1,300 before tax has been mentioned. Both this and Aus $1,500 including tax, are before any discounts.

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by 6E4D5E5E55736859424F4D422C0 link=1301294820/723#723 date=1305925207
      US $1,300  before tax has been mentioned. Both this and Aus $1,500  including tax, are before any discounts.
      hope there will be some price parity between the usa and Australia on the new 900, ? I hate seeing the grinder for $139.50 US (discounted) and the best with discount in Australia is $249.

Comment

Originally posted by 26213030213625302C2B2921440 link=1301294820/724#724 date=1305925908
        I hate seeing the smart grinder for $139.50 US (discounted) and the best with discount in Australia is $249.
        I got mine for $217.

Comment

Originally posted by 2335303021232F26262525400 link=1301294820/726#726 date=1305928418
          Agree.  I want to be able to buy a La Marzocco here for the same price I can get it for in Italy
          Id like to buy one in Balinese Rupiah- stuff is cheap over there. Also, why cant I have a Porsche for $70k US? > :

Comment

The sting will likely happen when you see US retailers selling them for $999, their actual sale prices hurt more than RRP, always have, pure volume of sales for the win, Australia cant touch that.

Comment

Does everyone have to be so negative about everything?

We live in Australia, deal with it! Import one if you dont like the $200 difference.

What the US retailers actually sell them for Breville has no control over, the same as here in Australia, they set the RRP and if a business doesnt want to make as big a margin as they can its up to them.

Comment

Originally posted by 243F362732243F3E31233225570 link=1301294820/729#729 date=1305955048
                We live in Australia, deal with it! Import one if you dont like the $200 difference.
                Youre too kind. I generally suggest to those who point out better prices overseas that they will save even more, and be much happier, if they migrate to these lands of plenty.

Comment

The grass is allways greener on the other side of the fence. When the yanks in some states and counties pay their sales taxes there wont be $200 difference for the Dual Boiler.

I think that the average Ausie is better off than just about anyone anywhere else. Who can beat our employment, wages, health, economy, houses, climate, beaches, food, coffee, wine, beer. If you dont like it here you have the choice to move.

Load your coffee equipment onto a boat and become a boat person to the other side.

Just wait about a month for the Brev DB to be on the shop shelves and we will then see how it goes.

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by 79626B7A6F7962636C7E6F780A0 link=1301294820/729#729 date=1305955048
                    We live in Australia, deal with it!  Import one if you dont like the $200 difference.
                    it is exactly this kind of attitude which has allowed the duopoly of Woolworths and Coles to spread its tentacles into every part of the Australian marketplace.  Shell be right, dont worry about it, deal with it.

China buying up all our mines and prime dairy producing farms?  No worries.  It is exactly this laid back attitude of most Australians which permits companies to make usury profits while we sit back and wonder why we are so highly taxed, pay so much for our houses and generally have so little discretionary spending available to our coffee habits.

Breville, or its American agent, set a wholesale price for the products.  I genuinely hope that Breville knocks this one out of the ball park in the US and has a huge hit.  I think they deserve to, with the three and a half years of research and brilliant engineering that went into the BES900 or BES900XL for our big American cousins.  It would be nice to see a company which is somewhat pigeon holed here to carve out a new and profitable niche in the US market.

Originally posted by 697F7A7A6B69656C6C6F6F0A0 link=1301294820/730#730 date=1305959835
                    Youre too kind.  I generally suggest to those who point out better prices overseas that they will save even more, and be much happier, if they migrate to these lands of plenty.
                    I agree that it is tough to be small Australian retailer these days.  As a customer though, it is not unreasonable to see cars for less than half the price in the UK or the like and think, hang on a minute, are we being screwed?  And to cuppacoffees credit, it is almost never the retailer doing the screwing, rather the exclusive importer, wholesaler or middle man. 

Most Australians, retailers included and especially retailers I would think, would love to do away completely with exclusive distribution agreements and be able to import directly, parallel import, their goods for resale in Australia.  Prices would come down immensely, putting downward pressure on inflation and boosting the number of internet savvy Australians buying from Australian retailers.

Sure, there are downsides.  Warranty issues is one, but I imagine a thriving business of warranty providers emerging to fill the market gap.  But dont worry, shell be right.  It wont happen.  When it comes to free trade, Australia is all for it if it involves giving unfair advantages to other countries to buy up our country cheaply.  When it comes to consumers having a choice of free trade with other countries, however, no we dont want that and if you dare question it you get told to move overseas.

I am all for Australian retailers making our country a better place.  After all, small business is the engine room of the economy when it comes to creating new jobs.  Lets put into place legislative policies which help them, rather than hinder them by allowing them to source products at whatever price they can from wherever in the world they can.

Comment

Re: Brevilles skunkworks....What are they up to?

Originally posted by 517261616A4C57667D70727D130 link=1301294820/731#731 date=1305963758
                      I think that the average Ausie is better off than just about anyone anywhere else. Who can beat our employment, wages, health, economy, houses, climate, beaches, food, coffee, wine, beer. If you dont like it here you have the choice to move.

Load your coffee equipment onto a boat and become a boat person to the other side.
                      I agree that it this is the best country on Earth. But just for a minute, have a think about this. By saying if you dont like things, here, move, dont you fall into exactly the trap which foreign companies and countries would like us to be in.

After all, who controls the price of BMWs in Australia? BMW in Germany. Dont like it, move. No, let us decide where, how and how much of our money is spent ourselves. Your post is tantamount to saying, "If you dont love the way BMW Germany wants to make profits in Australia, move."

Comment

Originally posted by 3635263D27203532322D540 link=1301294820/732#732 date=1305964117
                        When it comes to consumers having a choice of free trade with other countries, however, no we dont want that and if you dare question it you get told to move overseas.
                        Well, I get a little offended when asked to justify my pricing, which is generally very competitive to local market.

Im also happy to deal with importers, etc. I dont have time or the expertise to scour the globe and Im very satisfied with the support I get from my suppliers, Breville included.

Originally posted by 3635263D27203532322D540 link=1301294820/732#732 date=1305964117
                        Lets put into place legislative policies which help them
                        Government legislature to help me? Id settle for local council to sweep the footpath. ;D

Comment

[movedhere] Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500) [move by] Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 5053405B41465354544B320 link=1301294820/732#732 date=1305964117
                            see cars for less than half the price in the UK or the like and think, hang on a minute, are we being screwed?  And to cuppacoffees credit, it is almost never the retailer doing the screwing, rather the exclusive importer, wholesaler or middle man. 
                            In cars, its comprehensively the govt. I guess its to support the builders of Commodes, Falcoms and whitegoods on wheels Craparys...

Comment

Thanks Mal for moving my comments to a more appropriate forum topic. Much appreciated.

Originally posted by 4D787572465A767F7F7C7C190 link=1305923401/13#13 date=1305965281
                              In cars, its comprehensively the govt. I guess its to support the builders of Commodes, Falcoms and whitegoods on wheels Craparys...
                              Yes, for the tens of billions (Im not joking) of dollars poured into the local automotive sector over the last twenty years, we could have nationalised the car industry half a dozen times and still be ahead.

And the Government is also responsible for a large duty charged on clothes brought into the country.

I may be completely wrong with my suggestion or allowing parallel importing of all good except for where it can be legitimately shown that there is a national economic, environmental or strategic advantage involved. Some things would fall into this category, but not much.

All Im asking for and what I think most people would find legitimate is spending a small amount for Treasury to analyse the pros and cons, the winners and losers and the general impact on Australias tax revenues, employment rates and general standard of living for parallel importation of goods, including cars.

My bet is inflation would go down, employment would go up, tax revenues would go up and the need / desire for so much middle class welfare would be reduced substantially.

Originally posted by 7A6C6969787A767F7F7C7C190 link=1305923401/12#12 date=1305965208
                              Well, I get a little offended when asked to justify my pricing, which is generally very competitive to local market.
                              I can completely understand that. Unfortunately I think you would find that comments along those lines are from people who dont understand the constraints, taxation regime and red tape you operate under. People who genuinely understand that artificial barriers have been put in place which hinders your ability to satisfy market demands at different price points dont blame the retailer. Im not one of those idiots who rant on to the register operator at petrol station that it is their fault about the petrol price. I would like to consider myself quite informed on matters such as these.

Originally posted by 7A6C6969787A767F7F7C7C190 link=1305923401/12#12 date=1305965208
                              Government legislature to help me?  Id settle for local council to sweep the footpath.
                              Legislation can be positive or negative, but quite often fails due to our two party system of politics. Im on your side, as my previous comments has hopefully suggested.

Comment

Working...
                              X