Loss leaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss leaders

So you can now have it delivered to your home for around wholesale cost- even less than wholesale if youre remote. Sellers mantra: To undercut all competitors.

This generally happens in the majors. They have done with milk and attempted with beer. Theyre doing it with fuel as well in an attempt to drive competition out of the market. What about on bigger ticket items? Heres what the ACCC thinks about predatory pricing...

I am interested in obtaining CSer thoughts. Do you choose businesses that indulge in these practices?

Re: Loss leaders

well if re-sellars are getting supplied a product that undercuts another reseller why would they not go for a bigger market share?

if your suggesting that all re-sellers should sell at RRP are you not suggesting price fixing ?

the ACCC dont like that either.... eg Visy board 2007
    The ACCC today ordered the Visy board to pay $36 million for engaging in a four-year price-fixing and cartel scheme with packaging rival Amcor

but i understand you argument about selling in a "loss leader situation", but if it is right or wrong is a good question.

i would not have thought many coffee equip retailers have the flexibility to sell at a loss. if they can afford to then they must be doing ok (maybe) or maybe quitting a line / stock ?

Comment

Hi Maheel,

Yes, I agree that market share is all fine and it is a competitive market. Cartels suck and sadly, its rare that the ACCC ever show their teeth.

In this case, the item is in fact a loss leader in many shipping scenarios.

The catch-22 is does one engage in a price war that nobody can win or lay down for a trampling?

Comment

Maheel - not sure that the loss leader thing applies, as that is more commonly used by such as supermarkets where they offload a relatively low cost item at a loss, knowing that the majority of customers will also buy several high margin products in the one transaction.

Interesting question though. Will give it some thought and post later if I can add anything to the discussion

Comment

Re: Predatory pricing behaviour in coffee equipment sales....

I agree who me "loss leader" is not really happening here as you really need a volume capability in sales to start using that pricing model . i dont think the sales volumes would impact anyone in the coffee equipment market? (maybe the big retailers like DJ, Myre, kmart, HN etc might have some clout )

@ TC. personally myself if i was in the market for a product I might choose the cheaper price option but i need to weigh up the pros an cons of each purchase.

if its an international brand that sells on volume and i know i can get product support just based on the date on my receipt anywhere in AUD then i would look at the cheaper "wins" deal.

If its a little know product only sold by one or two importers then I think i might choose the retailer where i know i can get support if need (hopefully get support). and know i need to pay some $$$ for that service.

Trying to control a free market in general is going to be a challenge and may not be constitutional etc for all. Is it just the nature of the beast? Not that i am saying your trying to control it. I am kind of saying even the ACCC may not be able to "control" selling at a loss to any real extent as a business maybe should be allowed to push the market in some direction if they want to, maybe ????

Comment

Re: Predatory pricing behaviour in coffee equipment sales....

Originally posted by 6F5A4940494563280 link=1308534734/3#3 date=1308538293
            Im not sure if its just me thats naive, but when I originally joined CS about 18months or so ago there appeared to be less politics.
            Its not just you - I think its starting to affect the whole community feeling that was here a while ago.

Comment

Originally posted by 2F232A27272E420 link=1308534735/5#5 date=1308539776
              I agree who me "loss leader" is not really happening here as you really need a volume capability in sales to start using that pricing mod
              Im not so sure Maheel....

I reckon I could do it with 20 whatevers if I wanted to drum up some website traffic?

Comment

My question stands....Whaddaya do?

Comment

Originally posted by 7A767F72727B170 link=1308534735/9#9 date=1308554785
                  Dennis out of interest and for sake of "loss leader" arguments what was your reason for selling the aero at bellow the RRP?

as an-ex business manager i can see the $49 price point being a draw point but was interested in your decision if different.
                  It was as you say, I thought the $49 price point would be more attractive.
                  Originally posted by 7A767F72727B170 link=1308534735/9#9 date=1308554785
                  i think most successful new products (not just new products) see a niche they can exploit and become successful because of its ability to sell to its niche market
                  Hmm. A2 milk might be an example, yes? I think its great milk though also think it survives on the shelves for as long as it suits the supermarkets, not for as long as it fills a niche market.

Do you agree?

Comment

Predatory pricing only applies where its a (generally much) larger company trying to drive out a smaller company (not just on a particular product), and usually is a response to a new business. The companies have to really be in direct competition, and online predatory pricing would be a grey area at best.

(I watched this happen locally to me - a new bus company started up offering $10 tickets each way, when the other (larger) company was previously charging $18. The larger company then started at $8, sent the other company bust, then jacked the prices up to $20).

So what do you do? You do what other brick and mortar retailers are finding they are having to do to compete against cost-competitive online resellers - you differentiate. You offer something other than "best price".

If I were any coffee equipment supplier, Id be more concerned about Myer, DJs etc selling Breville appliances for cheaper than you can (which is already happening semi-infrequently with 15% off discounts etc), and will happen more and more. This is why Ive been confused about certain specialty coffee resellers selling Breville gear, no matter how good it is, as their competition just got WAY bigger. You can tell the customer how good it is, show them how it works, they can go away to "think about it", then buy it on their Myer Credit card on a % off sale just because they want the points. They cant do that with any of the Italians.

(And lets assume Ive written all of the above oblivious of the background of this thread, despite me knowing where it has come from just to avoid the "taking sides" arguments. I will not comment in public OR in PM about the backstory of this thread).

Comment

@ TC taking the bat and ball and going home is not going to work and you might be right fighting in the trenches over prices is useless.

do you weather the storm and ride it out ?

the challenge i see with some products is that you cannot control who buys them to re-sell (buying the re-seller rights) and you kind of have to accept someone may undercut you (trying not to sound like i am saying here "you got to suck eggs") and the major manufacturer may not really give two seconds thought for a smaller re-seller ?

the manufacturer may not even be controlling a particular sellers price point as they may be buying from another re-seller who has gotten a great deal to take a lot of stock ?

@ Den yes i agree about A2 the supermarkets will dump it if it does not meet a particular volume or demand and then it will be possibly the end for the product. But sometimes thats a plus for the likes of IGA etc who might encourage people to come to them to buy A2 (exploiting a particular market segment) its going to take a larger re-seller to keep it on the shelf but i have no idea on its demand as I dont need to buy it for intolerances etc (its main sales point i think?) I do know it is a good product but.

i think i am starting to argue for the arguments sake.... as i can see your frustrations in your time and investment in any product

Comment

Look, I think that there is something that everyone has pretty much forgotten...

Women love to Go Shopping... ;D ;D

No, seriously, hear me out!

I am sure that the online shops will get a market share but ultimately, women love to go out and shop, so all those huge malls will not lose out completely. Women are relational and they love to get out of their homes and meet up with girl friends and Go. Shop!

If you take a trip down to your local Westfields (or equivalent) have a good look at all the women wandering the halls...there are Heaps of them! (some even dragging their ever long suffering menfolk along! ;D)

Comment

Originally posted by 7464686873665860666B070 link=1308534735/13#13 date=1308558571
                          Women love to Go Shopping...
                          Newsflash

Talk Coffee will now only sell stuff to women ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 0D383532061A363F3F3C3C590 link=1308534735/14#14 date=1308558948
                            Newsflash

Talk Coffee will now only sell stuff to women 
                            Thatll be a loss leader in itself, unless you charge for the time theyll talk your ear off.

Comment

Originally posted by 1E2B26211509252C2C2F2F4A0 link=1308534735/14#14 date=1308558948
                              Originally posted by 7464686873665860666B070 link=1308534735/13#13 date=1308558571
                              Women love to Go Shopping... 
                              Newsflash

Talk Coffee will now only sell stuff to women  ;D

There...

I fixed it... ;D ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X