Internet Speed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Speed.

Im curious what sort of speeds your Internet runs at.

Im still at work and the speed is blinding this time of day (10pm AEST), maybe 50% more than I see during the more "normal" daylight business hours.

I tested using speedtest.net

A tad faster than the ol 300 baud dial-up modem.
    8-)

Re: Internet Speed.

That is insane. Mine actually drops off from about 5:30pm through to about 10pm. Some nights Im lucky to get 10% of my full speed due to massive congestion.

Right now:

Comment

You can also try www.ozspeedtest.com, i am with telstra and am only getting 320kb/s when some nights i get 680kb/s or better

with speedtest.net it is showing 3.34mb/s download so not that good today

i am a couple of kms away from the exchange so that doesnt help matters with ADSL 2+

Still beats dialup ;D

Comment

Mines not too bad at the moment but gets up to roughly 20Mb/s in mid-afternoon...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 26393B21382D3A3B2C540 link=1310040276/1#1 date=1310040472
          That is insane.
          Yeah, tis insane. It was only partly a gloat, Im actually really curious what sort of speeds people see.

Seems that every site I go to these days is super fat and bloated with flash animations and graphics, people are also more than happy to send 4-6Mb "funnies" via email and Im do feel sorry for those that have no option apart from a dribble.

Dad lives halfway between Geelong and Melbourne and although all the telcos cable between the two cities the best he can get is ADSL 1 and even then its is iffy.

Originally posted by 26393B21382D3A3B2C540 link=1310040276/1#1 date=1310040472
          Some nights Im lucky to get 10% of my full speed
          Thats pretty rude. I used to work for a small dial-up ISP and we were really careful to keep the bandwidth ratio fair.

Originally posted by 363B3836540 link=1310040276/2#2 date=1310041472
          You can also try
          I suggested one site so we are all comparing apples with apples.

Ozspeed test I used for years, speedtest.net is far more reliable and pings to find the fastest reply in their test network instead of getting you to select your ISP. Also seeing the upload at the same time gives a better idea of the potential throughput.

Originally posted by 363B3836540 link=1310040276/2#2 date=1310041472
          Still beats dialup
          Just thinking about dial-up I can still hear the sound of two modems syncing. My kids will never know...

Comment

Makes me think the sound of an old modem connecting, would make a funny ringtone.

Comment

Have you gone NBN or something?
              This is me.

Comment

My result was similar to Mals. Apparently the speed varies, depending on the distance from the exchange. Andy, do you work next door to your exchange?

Comment

Im on the very edge of our exchange, the street I live on is the border between two exchanges. Unfortunately there is a lot of copper twisted pair between me and fast broardband. I dont have a problem with the speeds I am getting though.

Edit added:
                  Its interesting to see how the download/upload effects the (FASTER THAN XX% OF AU) figure.

Comment

Cheers Bryan

Comment

I usually get 6-7 Mb/s

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 6C6B7E686573553B3333330A0 link=1310040276/6#6 date=1310044539
                          Have you gone NBN
                          I spoke with some contractors who were pulling the NBN fibre through the pit on my nature strip about 12 months ago... alas thats sitting idle still and will for years I bet.

Im using cable, not DSL and am lucky enough to have access to it at work and home. Pity Im too busy with beans to download or watch anything... it would work really well if I could find sites with enough bandwidth.

Interesting to see some 10ms ping times... thats getting close to ethernet network speeds.

Comment

Heres mine, about 6K away from Andys work.

Comment

...yet mine went to Canberra, yours to Adelaide.

Its interesting how different ISPs have different routes and even more amazing that there is about only 0.05 seconds to travel across the whole country.

Comment

Working...
                              X