X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best and Worst Aussie Movies

In the local newspaper today was a lift-out titled
    "The Best and Worst Aussie Movies"
    It was written by Guy Davis (the papers film critic) and I found his list interesting and of course like so many other "best of" lists at least a little controversial for what was included and omitted.

The BEST list...

[olist][*] Gallipoli[*] Mad Max 2[*] Babe[*] The Year My Voice Broke[*] Chopper[*] Muriels Wedding[*] The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith[*] Malcom[*] Newsfront[*] The Picture Show Man[*] Wake in Fright[*] The Boys[*] The Proposition[*] Ten Canoes[*] Next of Kin[*] Storm Boy[*] Proof[*] The Square[*] Thank God He Met Lizzie[*] The Chain Reaction
    [/olist]

...and the WORST list...

[olist][*] The Book of Revelation[*] Candy[*] Houseboat Horror[*] Howling III: The Marsupials[*] Kiss or Kill[*] Reckless Kelly[*] The Return of Captain Invincible[*] Welcome to Woop Woop[*] Wog Boy 2: The Kings of Mykonos[*] You & Your Stupid Mate
    [/olist]

What Aussie movies do you think should have made these two lists?

Re: The Best and Worst Aussie Movies

What about the first iconic Aussie Bikie movie Stone in the best and maybe Rabbit Proof Fence, The Castle, Romper Stomper.

In the worst, anything with Nicole Kidman... Razorback, Wannabees, Ned Kelly (Mick Jagger), and many, many more...

G.

Comment

The Cars that Ate Paris, definitly in catagory 2, along with Dimboola (the movie not the town).

I hope that list is not in order!

Comment

Originally posted by 4353455D525157300 link=1310219499/1#1 date=1310220321
        What about the first iconic Aussie Bikie movie Stone in the best and maybe Rabbit Proof Fence, The Castle, Romper Stomper.
        Nice work, you managed to pick 3 out of those 4 that I had in my best list too.

Stone is one of mine in the best list but I doubted it would make anyone elses list.  I actually have a (long term) project Z9 thats going to get Toads paintwork on it if I ever finish it!

The Castle was funny and so many lines from it have become "normal lingo" now.

Romper Stomper Powerful and spooky.  Just saying the name I can hear the music from the movie that made the hair on the back of your neck stand-up.

Originally posted by 4353455D525157300 link=1310219499/1#1 date=1310220321
        In the worst, anything with Nicole Kidman
        ;D
        I totally agree, she is poison to anything she touches. 

Some other movies that I think should be in the top 20

Picnic at Hanging Rock.

The Man from Snowy River

I also liked Mad Max way more than the sequel

Also the list should have at least one Ben Mendelsohn movie in there.. Idiot Box or Metal Skin or The Big Steal or even Spotswood

...and maybe just in the list would be something like Death in Brunswick that was a real surprise package at the time and had some pretty funny stuff in it.

Top of my worst list is either Take Away or Emoh Ruo

...and then there are movies like Bad Boy Bubby and Wolf Creek that could land in either list (similar to Romper Stomper) depending on how you viewed it.

Originally posted by 7255515E6F72555142300 link=1310219499/2#2 date=1310222722
        I hope that list is not in order!
        Certainly is, thats Guys list as published.
        (I just added the IMDB links to make it easier for CSrs).

Comment

mad max!..........listening to those Ford V8s through my Jamo surround.........thats music

push me....shove you....oh yeh says who!...... haha.

so cool 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by 406F6578010 link=1310219499/3#3 date=1310226008
            the list should have at least one Ben Mendelsohn movie
            Ben was a star in "The Year My Voice Broke" which is listed. It was the first movie I saw the young Ben in.

Luckily I have seen and enjoyed more than half of the best list but none of the worst list.

Barry

Comment

Im aghast that one of my favourite movies is in the worst list - Yahoo Serious was a genius: give me Young Einstein and Reckless Kelly over some of the others any day!

My all time favourites (in no particular order):-

1. Picnic at Hanging Rock
              2. Storm Boy
              3. The Castle
              4. Reckless Kelly
              5. Young Einstein
              6. Hercules Returns
              7. Kenny
              8. Gallipoli
              9. Breaker Morant
              10. Any of the Mad Maxs
              11. The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith
              12. Crackerjack
              13. Romper Stomper

Im sure theres a lot more that can be added, but its too early in the morning to think of them.

Cheers
              Di

Comment

Originally posted by 0C2B3D2F37440 link=1310219499/6#6 date=1310251705
                Im aghast that one of my favourite movies is in the worst list
                ..and others. You would never get agreement on this subject, especially a Worst of List. But have a look at the list on the left side of this site. Hard to dispute those.
                I Would probably add "Australia" to the worst.

I thought "Candy was an excellent portrayal of an unsavoury topic, as was "Little Fish".

"The Black Balloon" is another brilliant Aussie movie as was "Sanctum" a dud.

Comment

Originally posted by 5B786B6B60465D6C777A7877190 link=1310219499/5#5 date=1310250340
                  Ben was a star in "The Year My Voice Broke" which is listed.
                  Good point, I missed that.

Originally posted by 517660726A190 link=1310219499/6#6 date=1310251705
                  Yahoo Serious was a genius
                  serious??

7. Kenny
                  I cant look at a portaloo without thinking of him.

Breaker Morant
                  Thats a pretty big ommision, I guess Guy had Gallipoli in there so wanted to mixup the genres a bit.

Originally posted by 7F75607777786C6A190 link=1310219499/7#7 date=1310255880
                  have a look at the list on the left side of this site.
                  Nice find, that www.film.org.au is a good resource for Aussie movies. The IMDB links that I posted were hard to find for some of the smaller movies (would have taken half the time on that site). So many movies are produced with the same titles even in the same year.

Comment

Originally posted by 7659534E370 link=1310219499/8#8 date=1310259442
                    Yahoo Serious was a genius
                    serious??   
                    ;D

A man beyond his time...nah, not really, but I did find his movies really enjoyable. Or maybe because it was because I was only in my early 20s when they came out, so they appealled to my sense of humour.

That said, I also thought Ringo Stars Caveman was hilarious, as well - I tend to have a twisted (purile?) sense of humour when it comes to comedy movies.

Comment

Originally posted by 715640524A390 link=1310219499/9#9 date=1310260516
                      I was only in my early 20s
                      Yeah, interesting you say that. I think the movies we pick for a list will have a lot to do with our age.

Guy is a couple of years younger than me so Storm Boy was something he would have seen as a kid with a big enough impact for him to remember it 30 years later.

I look back at my list and I can see that most of the movies fall in the 80s and 90s when I was in my "20 something" and watched a lot of movies. In the last few years nearly all the movies I watched were on airoplanes... tend not to be home enough to see movies anymore and when I do its kiddy stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by 4D6A7C6E76050 link=1310219499/9#9 date=1310260516
                        That said, I also thought Ringo Stars Caveman was hilarious, as well - I tend to have a twisted (purile?) sense of humour when it comes to comedy movies.
                        I saw this at a drive-in, and they gave out numbered scratch and sniff cards to go with the movie, when the number came up in the right hand corner you scratch that number, instant smell-o-vision.
                        Apparently most things in prehistory smelled like cow poo :-?;D!

Comment

Yep, same here - maybe we should add Fern Gully to the list?

Most of the movies I watch nowdays are ones that shouldnt be missed and I get with my two free Box Office Foxtel movies. The others are usually on the included Movie channels but even they are far between for the most part - comes with the territory: youre too tired most nights once the kids have gone to bed to watch anything meaty!

I wonder how many 16-30 year olds have seen Breaker Morant or the Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith? Not many, Im hazarding to guess (nor other such pearlers like Smokey & The Bandit or Convoy? )

Oh well, best off to bed, I suppose - kids are back at School tomorrow so its a 5.00am start for me again!

Nighty night all!

Comment

running on empty
                            http://www.pitstop.net.au/view/movies/page/query/plu/15246

Razor back
                            http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087981/

Last train to Freo
                            http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0848592/

Comment

Two Hands (1999)

Comment

Working...
                              X