Dark Chocolate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Chocolate

Given its somewhat similar flavour profile to espresso, Im guessing that there are a few people here who are fans of dark chocolate? What are your favourites?

I am currently loving the Green and Blacks Organic 85% as my "casual" choice of chocolate--in my opinion it is the best that is easily found in most supermarkets.

I bought a bar of Valrhona Ampamakia 2010 from David Jones the other day (anybody know where else to buy Valrhona in Perth???) and it was amazing!! It did cost me about $15 for a 75g bar, so not exactly cheap (although it was DJ after all), but it was not like any other i have tasted. Lucky i dont live near the city, or else it could become an expensive habit  :P

Re: Dark Chocolate

Difficult to remember when i bought Valrhonas.
    You could try Chocoby Road in Subiaco.

Godiva chocolates was one indulgence i won;t forget in a hurry. Bought from David Jones basement in the city.
    Easily the most exclusive and most expensive.

I have yet to purchase hot chocolate items from Beanbay though.

My current staple is Fraus.

Gary at G

Comment

Chokeby Rd in west Perth, on hay st, a stones throw from Epic is where I used to get my chocolate fix from, they were great- although new owners now, havent been there since the hand over. I know The Grocer occasionally has some nice things... where in Perth is convenient for you? Im not currently working and could probably go on a chocolate hunt....

Comment

Andys Double Dutch Cocoa to drink at nightime made on fully leaded milk. Also is brilliant to use as a cooking ingredient in cakes, mousses, etc.

My favourites lollies/blocks are dark chocolate coated bullets and Old Jamaica (yum!)

BUT...my absolute favouritist thing in the world was a block of absolutely phenomenal dark chocolate tasmanian fudge I had from a deli about 12 years ago in Townsville. It tasted like 50% 70% (or more) dark cocoa and 50% cream...richest, smoothest thing Ive ever eaten in my life and you only need a 1cm square or so! Ive been trying to find that fudge again ever since we left Townsville in 1999 but with no luck. :-[

Damn, shouldnt have written this down - I have to duck up to the shops to get some stuff, and I can see myself adding a few extras to the basket!

Cheers
        Di

Comment

Hmm i have never heard of this Chokeby Road before, i have no choice but to check it out now :P Ristretterati, Id love to join you on a chocolate hunt haha, but at the moment uni is consuming my life  How long are you off work?

Comment

Oh Yes, Dark Chocolate is Divine! Anything over 70% and I am there!

Green and Black is good, Sos Lindt. Ive even found a few 95/100% chocolate bars, they are Potent, but well worth it if you can handle the flavour explosion

Ive even gone to the trouble of learning how to make chocolate from the beans. its not that hard really, Once you get past the fact that you roast them just like Coffee (well, maybe not quite, but you get the picture) Thats my current favorite at this point in time. Sure, its not quite as smooth as some, but ohgosh its tasty alright

Hmm, I wonder if its possible to get Cocao beans added to BeanBay...

Comment

Originally posted by 0A2733212E2F2821073200273223460 link=1316353453/5#5 date=1316517975

Green and Black is good, Sos Lindt. Ive even found a few 95/100% chocolate bars, they are Potent, but well worth it if you can handle the flavour explosion

Ive even gone to the trouble of learning how to make chocolate from the beans. its not that hard really, Once you get past the fact that you roast them just like Coffee (well, maybe not quite, but you get the picture) Thats my current favorite at this point in time. Sure, its not quite as smooth as some, but ohgosh its tasty alright

I am always on the lookout for a 90+ bar, but have yet to come across one. I might have to look online and order some Where do you buy your cacao beans from currently?

Comment

Ive been purchasing them from a local Health food shop, Theyre pricey as though, Something like $20 for 100 grams, unroasted and unprocessed

Comment

Originally posted by 614C584A4544434A6C596B4C59482D0 link=1316353453/7#7 date=1316524927
                  Ive been purchasing them from a local Health food shop, Theyre pricey as though, Something like $20 for 100 grams, unroasted and unprocessed
                  Ohh now that you mention it, i do remember seeing something in a health food shop a while back. I cant remember if it was raw beans or the nibs, but i do remember thinking how expensive it was. Roughly how much of the final product would you get from the 100g of beans?

Comment

Originally posted by 40454A45434B240 link=1316353453/8#8 date=1316525761

Ohh now that you mention it, i do remember seeing something in a health food shop a while back. I cant remember if it was raw beans or the nibs, but i do remember thinking how expensive it was. Roughly how much of the final product would you get from the 100g of beans?
                    The ones I poke my nose into, they usually sell both the nibs, and the raw beans. I think I get around 90g of chocolate per 100 grams, though I never really weighed it, Most of the losses seem to be from transferring between stages (I use a mortar and Pestle, it does a good job of grinding the beans to paste, but you always get some leftovers stuck to the stone)

Comment

Originally posted by 65606F60666E010 link=1316353453/6#6 date=1316519451
                      Originally posted by 0A2733212E2F2821073200273223460 link=1316353453/5#5 date=1316517975

I am always on the lookout for a 90+ bar, but have yet to come across one. I might have to look online and order some Where do you buy your cacao beans from currently?
                      Ive seen some 90%+ dark chocolate bars in Koko Black in Claremont.

I was considering simply cause ive never tried it, however i dont really like dark chocolate, i prefer milk.

Comment

Hey Danago- until I find a new job.... hopefully not too much longer... There is a little confectionary/lolly shop in Carlisle- run by a swiss lady, she has a good selection, theyre on Archer St if its near you....

Comment

Originally posted by 022F3B29262720290F3A082F3A2B4E0 link=1316353453/5#5 date=1316517975
                          Andy has sold raw cocoa beans in Beanbay in the past. I bought some and made some wonderful chocolate. You can also source top quality raw cocoa beans from a home chocolate making website in the States - Chocolate Alchemy. Importing from the States may seem expensive, but it is far better quality than the health food stores sell and often actually cheaper than the health food stores even with international post.

Ive included a picture of my melangeur - used to grind down the particle size into a few microns to create that silky smooth chocolate we have become used to.

In terms of how much chocolate for 100g of cocoa: losses are what you cannot scrape out of your container. I have minimal loss from my melangeur if I use a soft plastic spatula to scrape it out. The amount of chocolate then depends on your recipe. Keep in mind you will want to add cocoa butter to the mix. Unless you are going for the hardcore dark above (90%) then you will also want a large amount of sugar. So, I end up with a lot more chocolate than the cocoa beans I start out with due to cocoa butter, sugar and milk powder if Im making milk chocolate. I also put a vanilla bean in for flavour but it hardly changes the percentages.

Hmmm I need to make more chocolate! Its been a while now as I am very busy but talking about it makes me want to make more. It takes a while - up to 40 hours in the melangeur and thats only one step!

My melangeur:

And molding the final product:

Comment

wow, that much work to make chocolate makes roasting coffee look like childs play...

I enjoy dark chocolate more than the other milk stuff, the only ones ive tried are lindt and willies (the guy who did the tv special from the UK)

might give the green and black a whirl, I know for a fact I love dark choc with coffee, so thats just an excuse for more coffee

Comment

Originally posted by 5465726B6A6D666B7D040 link=1316353453/12#12 date=1316594533
                              Originally posted by 022F3B29262720290F3A082F3A2B4E0 link=1316353453/5#5 date=1316517975

My melangeur:

And molding the final product:

Oh my god i want to attack that melangeur with a spoon

Originally posted by 746C766B77707D666B6D040 link=1316353453/13#13 date=1316599176
                              wow, that much work to make chocolate makes roasting coffee look like childs play...

I enjoy dark chocolate more than the other milk stuff, the only ones ive tried are lindt and willies (the guy who did the tv special from the UK)

might give the green and black a whirl, I know for a fact I love dark choc with coffee, so thats just an excuse for more coffee 
                              I watched two episodes of Willies TV show; i didnt realise that he was actually selling his product around the world!

Comment

Working...
                              X