The joys of lathe ownership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The joys of lathe ownership

Ive been trying to get a nice home workshop set up for the last little while, and a couple of weekends ago, I acquired what is to be the centrepiece, a 1952 Hercus Model A 9" workshop lathe.

A long drive from Traralgon to Melbourne and an afternoon or so of cursing and profuse sweating saw it installed in my garage, and I finally got a chance to use it over the weekend.

Its such a beauty, I cant believe my luck! A huge thanks to friend, ex-colleague, lathe expert and CS member, Pip for helping me find it, collect it and install it.

This is the start of many an ambitious backyard coffee engineering project!

Some photos of the first tests, cutting some bottomless group handles, one of which is for my next project, a Conti Prestina lever.

So stoked

Re: The joys of lathe ownership

Nice pick up!

Comment

can you explain bit more what is goig on this pictures?

Comment

Nice photos: have you used some post processing.?

Inspires me to take some shots of my lathe.....

Comment

Nice one! Lovely pics.

Comment

Originally posted by 64554844270 link=1331109802/2#2 date=1331674354
            can you explain bit more what is goig on this pictures?
            @croc: The photos are a bit out of order, I had a few portafilters that I wanted to convert to naked by chopping the middle out of them. The lathe lets you do that very quickly and accurately, with an excellent finish on the cut. So the last photo is actually the first  - the brand new Conti portafilter, and the first is after removing the material from the centre of it.

Originally posted by 4555425353554246455E270 link=1331109802/3#3 date=1331675265
            Nice photos: have you used some post processing.?
            @brettly: yep, a bit  black and white conversion, contrast increase, add grain and a split tone with slightly warm highlights / cool shadows so not straight black and white. All done through Adobe Lightroom.

Comment

and here I was thinking that a 1952 lathe didnt have colour yet ;D

Comment

Working...
              X