Anti virus software???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti virus software???

Ive been running the full version of AVG for the past couple of years, now its up for renewal.
    Other programs seem to be rated well above it now, in particular Bitdefender, its difficult to get an objective review, they all seem to want to flog you their favourite.
    Im wondering what others are using and what their thoughts are?

Re: Anti virus software???

I swear by the free version of Avast. Its a ripper!

Comment

Originally posted by 7459465549300 link=1333752830/1#1 date=1333753084
      I swear by the free version of Avast. Its a ripper!
      Thanks Divey, I appreciate your reply.
      Im not looking for freeware, whatever I settle on I want the full version.

Comment

Gday Jon,

we also run the full AVG Internet Security Business Edition.

The problem with your question is of course....how do any of us know how well it is or isnt working?

In our case its there, and it apparently does its thing. I have no idea what those that "rate" these things do or know about what goes on in the the background, that these softwares fix or prevent so that we dont see it or know it even happened.........?????

A question then for the tech savvy.

Comment

Ive been using Viper. Less well known in Aus, but has done a great job and they have awesome customer support. When I upgraded from AVG full to Viper, Viper found something on the computer which AVG hadnt, so I was impressed with that.

Comment

Ive been using Avira Premium for the last few years after extensive research (and also the free version on my roast monitoring lappy). There are a few comparative reviews around but you would not rely on the advice of one site.

An interesting article.

Comment

NOD32 - been using it for years.

Comment

If you are using XP, Vista or W7 there is absolutely no need to pay for AV software, or indeed use any of the other free ones. What AV manufacturers and computer retailers have been trying to hide from you for the last few years is that Microsoft have their own AV software, its free, light, purpose designed for the OS and actually should be an install by default on all windows boxes.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5201

Comment

Oh no, Microsoft + Free = no good. I must admit though Security essentials has come a long way Forefront. As with all anti-virus programs, they are all much the same and will each protect you until they come up against a virus they cannot protect against.

The best advice is dont click on dodgy links, dont click on popups, dont click on advertisements, dont install toolbars, dont install screensavers, dont open attachments from people you dont know or werent expecting. These are all common sense things when playing on the internet.

Follow these simple rules and you will rarely come across a virus. Oh and run a backup program of your choice as a backup.

Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by 7B4F584E55627E525B5B58583D0 link=1333752830/3#3 date=1333756775
                    Gday Jon,

we also run the full AVG Internet Security Business Edition.

The problem with your question is of course....how do any of us know how well it is or isnt working?

In our case its there, and it apparently does its thing. I have no idea what those that "rate" these things do or know about what goes on in the the background, that these softwares fix or prevent so that we dont see it or know it even happened.........?????

A question then for the tech savvy.
                    GDay Atillio,
                    I guess the proof of the pudding is....etc, AVG has never let me down, but Bitdefender is quite a bit cheaper and is better rated, at the moment its a toss up between AVG and Bitdefender.
                    I know a lot of people run free ware quite successfully, I dont have any confidence in it, Im a firm believer in "you get what you pay for"
                    Trust your having a good Easter break.

Comment

I use trend and have for years. Never skipped a beat. It is pricey. I just use one of the extra licenses on my parents. =)

Comment

Originally posted by 0623342B2615737B7472420 link=1333752830/6#6 date=1333759719
                        NOD32 - been using it for years.
                        Same here. Been using it for years and very happy. Never picked up a virus. It easily removed a virus on a mates computer that defeated Norton.

Doug

Comment

My son is the computer expert of the house and he recommends AVG. We use the free version. It has picked up problems with websites that run paid versions of other AV programs.

Comment

Thanks for your replies and input people, have gone with Bitdefender, half the price of AVG and much better rated, time will tell.

Comment

I used to swear by AVG until a few years ago, its become too bloated for my liking

Ive got kaspersky on my home machine at the moment and find it to be quite good, previousy I had avast free

Ive got nod32 on my work machine and its great

I like kaspersky and nod as I find them to be bother very lightweight

(Jon I know youve already bought one, but figured id toss my hat in the ring as well)

Comment

Working...
                              X