Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IT guys out there?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • IT guys out there?

    Hi all. I know this isnt coffee related. Its in fact, quite off topic. And suited to a number of other forums. But I dont routinely check others, and there is a registration process and all. So I thought Id ask people here first...

    Ive been having problems with network speeds on a certain uni wireless network. Its been really slow. I get fast speeds on the home wireless. But ridiculously slow speeds on the uni wireless. That made me think it was the network. But then Ive had two laptops side-by-side, and using speed-test, the other laptop was getting speeds (I think) 100x faster than mine. This made me think it was MY laptop...

    Ive contacted the uni, and nobody else has reported any problems with this network - also evidence that it could be my laptop...

    Does anyone have any suggestions about what I can do to work out what is going wrong?

  • #2
    Re: IT guys out there?

    Originally posted by 654057484519210 link=1337907342/0#0 date=1337907342
    Ive been having problems with network speeds on a certain uni wireless network.
    Possibly a stupid question, but are they both on the same Uni wireless networks? I know my campus has a couple of different networks - some better than others at various times and locations.

    PS - Just noticed youre in QLD. Im at QUT. If you are too by any chance, the IT dept is great. Dont be afraid to hit them up.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: IT guys out there?

      Sorry, that wasnt clear. Same network... We only have 1. HUGE campus. UQ St. Lucia... 1 network. Not cool. We did have 2, but they stopped using the fast one... Stupid idea... But anyway...

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: IT guys out there?

        If another laptop can get good speeds then it sounds like its your laptop. How old is it?

        You mention a certain uni wireless networ. Are there any other WiFi connections in the Uni you can try?
        It is difficult to diagnose the problem without checking out your lappie.

        What do you mean by home wireless? Do you mean mean wireless broadband or Wi-Fi? These are different signals so getting good speeds on a wireless broadband connection does not mean good Wi-Fi speed.

        Some laptops use crappy Wi-Fi radio driver software. The first thing to do is look for an updated driver for yours which will allow it to communicate better.  Some laptop manufacturers  provide a utility for this purpose.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: IT guys out there?

          Originally posted by 7C766374747B6F691A0 link=1337907342/3#3 date=1337909169
          If another laptop can get good speeds then it sounds like its your laptop. How old is it?
          Uhm. I got it Christmas 2009. So its not young...

          Originally posted by 7C766374747B6F691A0 link=1337907342/3#3 date=1337909169
          What do you mean by home wireless? Do you mean mean wireless broadband or Wi-Fi? These are different signals so getting good speeds on a wireless broadband connection does not mean good Wi-Fi speed.
          Good point. I mean wi-fi.

          Originally posted by 7C766374747B6F691A0 link=1337907342/3#3 date=1337909169
          Some laptops use crappy Wi-Fi radio driver software. The first thing to do is look for an updated driver for yours which will allow it to communicate better.  Some laptop manufacturers  provide a utility for this purpose.
          Ive updated the driver for the wireless adaptor through the windows control panel. I will give it a try with windows update. And see if Asus has some sort of tool that can help.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: IT guys out there?

            There is an ASUS Driver update utility but try looking at support.asus.com.

            3 years is not that old but it probably means that you have a g standard wifi adapter.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: IT guys out there?

              Did you ring the ITS Service Desk or did you walk into AskIT at the Duhig Library (St Lucia)? You might get some more hands on help if you go into the library and ask at the desk with your laptop.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: IT guys out there?

                Originally posted by 32382D3A3A352127540 link=1337907342/5#5 date=1337913578
                There is an ASUS Driver update utility but try looking at support.asus.com.

                3 years is not that old but it probably means that you have a g standard wifi adapter.
                Will check it out tonight! Thanks!

                Originally posted by 373726373B3831540 link=1337907342/6#6 date=1337915172
                Did you ring the ITS Service Desk or did you walk into AskIT at the Duhig Library (St Lucia)?  You might get some more hands on help if you go into the library and ask at the desk with your laptop.
                I sent both an email. I will have to walk in to askit. Thats my next solution. =)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: IT guys out there?

                  Check to see if both laptops have the same network signal strength, are connected at the same speed, and are using the same network settings.


                  Java "All wired up" phile
                  Toys! I must have new toys!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: IT guys out there?

                    If youre using both of them on battery and if youre running win7, you might want to check the wireless performance settings in your power plan (ive been caught by this before, on battery it runs in lower power and made the wireless almost unusable)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: IT guys out there?

                      Originally posted by 58405A475B5C514A4741280 link=1337907342/9#9 date=1338026864
                      you might want to check the wireless performance settings in your power plan
                      Yes, good point, and not just on Win 7. If you are running off your battery, whats the performance like if you plug it in instead

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: IT guys out there?

                        Originally posted by 4E44514646495D5B280 link=1337907342/10#10 date=1338033966
                        Originally posted by 58405A475B5C514A4741280 link=1337907342/9#9 date=1338026864
                        you might want to check the wireless performance settings in your power plan
                        Yes, good point, and not just on Win 7. If you are running off your battery, whats the performance like if you plug it in instead
                        My tests have always been done plugged in.

                        That probably makes things harder...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: IT guys out there?

                          I might have missed it, but whats the OS? XP, Vista or 7, 32 or 64?

                          For both home and uni, what is the type of network? ie. WEP, WPA-PSK, etc. What Channel do either use? And are they a/b/g/n? What is your wireless card in the laptop?

                          Do you always put your laptop in the same spot at uni, or do you use it with the lid closed on an external monitor?

                          Try deleting all traces of the wireless settings at uni and re-join.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: IT guys out there?

                            Even more topic, are you willing to take advice from IT girls? ;D

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: IT guys out there?

                              Originally posted by 3134313038355D0 link=1337907342/13#13 date=1338453039
                              Even more topic, are you willing to take advice from IT girls?  ;D
                              Of course. Dont mean to discriminate.

                              Originally posted by 343C3433393F5D0 link=1337907342/12#12 date=1338387703
                              I might have missed it, but whats the OS? XP, Vista or 7, 32 or 64?
                              Windows 7.

                              Originally posted by 343C3433393F5D0 link=1337907342/12#12 date=1338387703
                              For both home and uni, what is the type of network? ie. WEP, WPA-PSK, etc.  What Channel do either use? And are they a/b/g/n?  What is your wireless card in the laptop?
                              Home is WPA2-Personal. Uni is WPA2-Enterprise. I have no idea about the channel. The wireless card is a Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adaptor.

                              Originally posted by 343C3433393F5D0 link=1337907342/12#12 date=1338387703
                              Do you always put your laptop in the same spot at uni, or do you use it with the lid closed on an external monitor?
                              When you say same spot... Im a student. So I use my laptop all over the place. Never connected to a monitor while at uni (home, yes, but the lid is open).

                              Originally posted by 343C3433393F5D0 link=1337907342/12#12 date=1338387703
                              Try deleting all traces of the wireless settings at uni and re-join.
                              Tried that...

                              Ive tried it earlier in the mornings now, and it seems to be a bit better. Ive also heard other people complaining about it. So now Im thinking it is just the network.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X