Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else get spammed by a mob selling branded coffee mugs very recently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else get spammed by a mob selling branded coffee mugs very recently?

Title say it all. Just wondering whether I've been totally randomly spammed or whether I've accidentally left an email address in a posting.
    Cheers
    BOSW

Hang on... I'll just check through my spam folder...not

Spam distro lists can be harvested from other emails or websites but can be created by 'brute force' as well. For example, if your email address was bosw @ someaddress.com (someaddress.com being a legitimate domain name), the spam generator will simply create a list of variations such as bows @ someaddress.com, boss @ someaddress.com etc. They might get a lot of bounces but they will also get a lot of hits.

Comment

Thanks Flynn. Nah, my email address bears no commonality to my display name. Might just have been random.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
        Nah, my email address bears no commonality to my display name.
        Just using that as an example. Check the 'To' field in spam if you can be bothered. You will sometimes see more than one or more email addresses similar to yours but they appear to be using the BCC field these days ['Undisclosed recipients']

Comment

No coffee cups but Jeez I have had some contacts from our friends in Deli (or Mumbai) at the "Windows Help Centre" helpfully informing me that they have identified a security problem with my computer and they are here to help. I've had about 5 calls so far over about a month. Always a bad line, so hard to communicate. I usually sic my computer-expert Son on to them if he's around. They are persistent, I will say that for them.
          Got a call last night. I asked them to wait while I got my Son to speak to them. Didn't tell them he wasn't expected home for a half-hour. Don't know how long they held on. I'm trying to think of something more imaginative for their next call. Maybe speak with an Indian accent - tell them I'm from the Calcutta Call-Centre Repatriation Clinic and I've heard that they are tired and cheesed off with their job and need counselling.

Comment

Yes, the Windows Help Centre are prolific. If I work from home on a given day they are guaranteed to call. I like to say 'Hold on while I change phones' then just leave the phone on the counter. Waste some of their time.

Comment

Hi BOSW,
              Any chance you've been googling for "coffee cups" ?
              d.

Comment

Hi Dabbler,

Not in 6 months or so.....just trying to think whether I've ordered some little nick nack off evil bay...don't think so.

Cheers
                BOSW

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
                  No coffee cups but Jeez I have had some contacts from our friends in Deli (or Mumbai) at the "Windows Help Centre" helpfully informing me that they have identified a security problem with my computer and they are here to help. I've had about 5 calls so far over about a month. Always a bad line, so hard to communicate. I usually sic my computer-expert Son on to them if he's around. They are persistent, I will say that for them.
                  Got a call last night. I asked them to wait while I got my Son to speak to them. Didn't tell them he wasn't expected home for a half-hour. Don't know how long they held on. I'm trying to think of something more imaginative for their next call. Maybe speak with an Indian accent - tell them I'm from the Calcutta Call-Centre Repatriation Clinic and I've heard that they are tired and cheesed off with their job and need counselling.
                  Someone I know engages them in conversation by asking questions about what sort of underwear they have on. Apparently they hang up pretty quickly. Dunno what your options are if they are happy to discuss though.

Doug

Comment

Which gets me thinking, years ago when working for tel$tra I was accused of having a "premium phone service" telephone voice (if you get what I mean ). Maybe, if/when they call me, I could ask them for their credit card details and warn them that the call would cost them $4.95 per minute and see how quick they hung up?

The only disappointing thing is that we unplugged our home phone from the wall because we're on the DNC Register and I got sick of all the charity organisations ringing me, and they never ring me on my mobile, so I can't test it out...

Comment

Originally posted by Coffee2Di4 View Post
                      The only disappointing thing is that we unplugged our home phone from the wall because we're on the DNC Register and I got sick of all the charity organisations ringing me, and they never ring me on my mobile, so I can't test it out...
                      I find mentioning the DNC Register usually makes them hangup but it does take effort to get them to supply the info needed if you want to lodge a complaint. I'm abrupt with unsolicited callers now esp. if from pollies (it's a satisfaction thing) or charities (we give but we pick what we support and don't need a phone call to prompt). I try not to let them even finish their intro sentence.

Shame there's no satisfaction when purging SPAM though.

Just thinking BOSW - was it that tempting you read it anyway or was the subject line a giveaway clue

Comment

Originally posted by dabbler View Post

Just thinking BOSW - was it that tempting you read it anyway or was the subject line a giveaway clue
                        Oh, they were selling commercial quantities of ceramic cups, with or without branding. I was just trying to work out how I got on their list (6 cups is about the limit for me). Subject line 'braXXed mugs'. Replace the XXs.

Comment

I don't know if I want to know this answer or not but was it from a company called "ferret" ?

Comment

Originally posted by dabbler View Post
                            I don't know if I want to know this answer or not but was it from a company called "ferret" ?
                            No it wasn't. But now I'm intrigued......

Comment

Hey BarryO,
                              you are right, your email isn't in the wild "much" but the way spammers work it only needs to be 1 place before it explodes onto lists everywhere and is bought, sold and swapped.

I found your email address on yasni(dot)com which is where I would guess the spammer would have bought it from.

Comment

Working...
                              X